PDA

View Full Version : Quater panel trim

DocHarley
09-23-2015, 02:50 PM
When I install my quarter panel trim piece it deforms the panel about 2 feet from the end because the trim is straight and the quater panel is curved. I's there a safe way to bend the trim piece so it does not apply so much pressure on the panel?

Rick_L
09-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Doc, if you posted a photo maybe some ideas would come.

Seems strange that could happen unless one or the other or both had something wrong with them.

DocHarley
09-26-2015, 05:17 AM
I curved the trim near the end, problem solved. :)

chevynut
09-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Was the trim original or repop? If it was original I'd suspect the sheetmetal was shaped wrong unless the trim got bent somehow.

DocHarley
09-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Danchuk repop.

Rick_L
09-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Danchuk repop.

Well that explains it. No 3D.

I had some repro 55BA front fender spears that were more or less flat, didn't conform to the crown. But the fasteners would have pulled them in properly. I can see on a quarter spear where they might not. I didn't use them anyway because of other flaws.

DocHarley
09-30-2015, 04:20 PM
I bought my fender spears from Danchuk and what a joke, the fender spear was like an inch wider then the door spear (if that's what they call it).

Use your imagination, this is how it looked butted together.

<---------------|===

Because I ordered the parts several months ago they told me tuff luck!!! Not a very nice way to do business.

Rick_L
09-30-2015, 06:07 PM
That's sad stuff on their business policies. Bad parts are bad parts. Should be a warning to others.

I finally figured out how to fix stainless. (Not to say I'm good enough to charge people for my labor at prices people would pay.) No way I'd consider a repop again. I'd just keep searching for something to repair at swap meets and other parts sources. There's still pieces out there, just a bit fewer than years back.

chevynut
09-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy repop stainless trim unless it was a last resort. There's plenty of good trim out there for most cars (Nomad special pieces are hard to find). I'd buy locally or look for someone on eBay that has it. There's always trim for sale there, some even restored.

Rick_L
09-30-2015, 06:41 PM
Thing is that Nomad trim that's hard to find isn't repopped either. Like the upper paint divider for a 56.

There's been some attempts at the 55 eyebrows and spears that are cast pieces, but so far no one has set the world on fire with those. In a way I'm surprised on that one. Not that Danchuk types don't have it, but that some little guy hasn't.

chevynut
09-30-2015, 08:12 PM
There's been some attempts at the 55 eyebrows and spears that are cast pieces, but so far no one has set the world on fire with those. In a way I'm surprised on that one. Not that Danchuk types don't have it, but that some little guy hasn't.

There's a guy who lives not too far from me that cast them in bronze at one time...lots of artists and bronze casting in this area. I don't know what happened to him but I haven't seen his parts for sale. The market would be limited for Nomads, but I've seen them on a sedan before and I think they look cool.