PDA

View Full Version : Cookie cutter wheels for C'nuts C4 chassis kits

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
10-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Looking at a roadster shop custom built stainless top caddy that they machined some custom big wheels with factory looking caddy hub look gave me the idea. I told a coworker on my design team that we should build these. 5 years latter someone did it.

http://www.deluxewheels.com

Rick_L
10-09-2015, 04:28 PM
You have to be kidding. Who would want that?

10-10-2015, 07:22 AM
Rick, there is a trend out there for a stockish look. Not necessarly trifives but some old classics don't look right wearing boyd junk yard dogs. Who wants to put 6 inch wheels on a roadster shop custom chassis under an old long boat caddy that needs big white walls to look right. There is a small market for these. Certainly not for everyone but I dont recall big white walls available in 285 or bigger. Personally I think it is a neat trick. Not sure how the local tire shop would prevent from scratching your white wall thow lol.
Rocky

chevynut
10-10-2015, 07:31 AM
I'm not a huge fan of whitewalls but they do look good on some cars and having a choice of wider wheels/tires would be good. I don't know if I'd call it a "trend" toward a stock look, but there are some cars out there that are more stock-looking. My neighbor (the one who rolled the '55) came over the other day and he's wanting to build a "June Cleaver" 55 wagon with an LS engine and whitewalls with a stock interior. He wants a driver and I think he may be convinced that a C4 suspension is part of his plan for that build. BTW, his twin turbo installation in that 55 is incredible. He built the custom intercooler and all the exhaust plumbing....I gotta get a picture of it. ;)

10-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Is he gonna twin turbo the LS wagon?

Sorry Rocky, I hit "edit post" instead of "reply" and I screwed up your post. Sheesh, it should be harder to do that.

10-10-2015, 07:51 AM
I dont always like white walls but when I do lol.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_112.jpg

Rick_L
10-10-2015, 08:53 AM
I wonder if they look as fake as the old "porta walls"?

10-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Sorry Rocky, I hit "edit post" instead of "reply" and I screwed up your post. Sheesh, it should be harder to do that.
Wow your gettin just like that other guy on the other site lol. Sensoship!!

10-10-2015, 09:11 AM
I wonder if they look as fake as the old "porta walls"?
So those don't look so hot? I've never seen any but have seen them for sale on E-bay. You might be right.,these wheels might not be so trick looking up close and personal.

Maddog
10-10-2015, 11:15 AM
The only way porta walls look fake is if they're coming off the tire, which they shouldn't do that, but when they do then they look like shit.
I would have to see those wheels in person to make a valid judgement. I'm having trouble picturing how a hard side (wheel) can look like a white wall especially up close, tires flex the wheels won't. Additionally don't get a flat.
Fortunately I'm not a whitewall type guy but have had a few when appropriate. That Continental is an awesome build.

Zoomin
10-16-2015, 06:41 PM
You have to be kidding. Who would want that?

I would loveto have a set of those!

Thanks for the link, Rocky. 👍😎👍

Geoff
10-22-2015, 05:17 PM
I would loveto have a set of those!

Thanks for the link, Rocky. 

X2.

markm
10-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Not an option at my house

chevynut
10-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Just think what would happen to those expensive wheels if you got a flat tire. :eek:

I wonder why these guys specify "frontspacing" instead of offset. And they even get it wrong. Frontspacing is measured from the wheel mounting surface to the OUTSIDE of the lip of the wheel, just like backspacing is. They obviously don't know what backspacing is, because what they specify as backspacing is actually offset. Makes a guy question if they know what they're doing if they don't get this terminology correct.

http://www.deluxewheels.com/fitment-charts/

Rick_L
11-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Saw some of these faux whitewall wheels on "Bitchin Rides" yesterday. On a bagged custom 47 Caddy with a Hemi engine. If ever there was a car for them, that one was it. I still think I would have chosen something different for that car though. Didn't look like there was much tire height there unless the whitewall goes beyond the actual bead.

11-01-2015, 09:55 AM
I saw that episode also and they fit bill for that caddy.