PDA

View Full Version : Metal shaping class

Rick_L
11-05-2015, 06:34 PM
This weekend I'm going to a Gene Winfield metal shaping class in Austin. Really looking forward to it.

I went to a similar deal 2 years ago where Gene and the class chopped the top on a 41 Chevy. In two days. Not something I do or have done but it was very instructive, and I learned a lot. Hands on.

This one is going to be more general. I don't know what project he'll have, or projects. Doesn't matter, it will be good, and fun, and I'm sure hands on.

I don't know if many of you are familiar with Gene. He's a 50s customizer, metal work and painting too. He's in his late 80s and still does it with a lot of energy. I just wish I could continue to that age with that vigor. He's also a very cool and personable guy.

MP&C
11-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Rick, where is it being held, Austin Speed Shop?

Rick_L
11-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Mercury Charlie's, if you're familiar. His trademark is chopped 49-51 Merc's.

Ron Covell had a deal at Austin Speed Shop earlier this year.

markm
11-06-2015, 05:43 AM
Gene is the honorary flagman at the KKOA drags in Salina in July. They chop a car every year at the car show in park. He seems like a cool old guy.

WagonCrazy
11-06-2015, 05:56 PM
That sounds like a cool time Rick. You guys in TX have all the fun. :(

Rick_L
11-09-2015, 05:27 PM
Got back from Austin today.

The class was really good, there were lots of things repeated from the deal I attended 2 years ago, but I had forgotten a lot too. Not too much hands on like the 2 day top chop, but a bit broader in scope.

One really neat tool he demostrated was what he called a "pipe anvil". It was 3 lengths of steel tube or pipe welded together at the ends, with a small gap between the tubes. Each tube was a different size. You can bend sheet metal with it by hand to the radius of the 3 tubes, and you can also do tapers by using simple layout techniques. You can also do multiple bends both directions, as well as really gentle bends with a radius larger than the biggest tube. It would be great for making transmission tunnels, etc.

He also demo'd bead rollers, English wheel, hammer welding, gas welding aluminum, lead work, some tricks for bending on a brake, lots of other stuff. He did have us do some hands on stuff gas welding steel and aluminum, and also application of lead.

Also connected to the deal at the same site was a car show and live band Sat. night after the class and another car show Sun. afternoon during the class. And Gene (late 80s) was dancing to the rock'n'roll Saturday after putting on the 9 hour class that day. A lot going on.

One of the cool things was one of the guys brought his 11 year old son to the deal. The kid paid more attention to what was going on than most anybody. And he did all the demos and did great. He'll probably have a hot rod that he built before he can drive it legally.

MP&C
11-10-2015, 05:54 AM
Rick, sounds like you had a good class. Any pictures?

Rick_L
11-10-2015, 08:31 AM
I got a few but they're still in my phone. Plus I have a new phone and haven't figured out the picture thing completely yet. So it may be a day or three.

567chevys
11-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Rick ,
Sounds like a blast ,
Sad thing is everyday there is less & less of the old timers , I sure hope some of these young kids start learning it .

Just like George Barris he passed away Nov 5.2015 RIP

Sid

Rick_L
11-10-2015, 06:14 PM
Gene mentioned George Barris' passing at the class. As well as Lil John Buttera, and someone else who's in hospice.

Gene seemed to slightly show some aging since I saw him two years ago. Not quite as much energy, maybe couldn't see and hear as well. One could probably say the same about me, and I'm far younger.

On the other hand he never quits, hardly ever took a break even when we did. And we were watching, he was doing, most of the time. While the band was playing Sat. night, he was selling DVDs, posters, and t-shirts when he wasn't dancing.

He also mentioned doing a meet a few months ago with Ron Covell, Fay Butler, and a couple of others. He had a T shirt that said "every day is a school day" and that he learned some things from those guys and is still learning.