PDA

View Full Version : What's a fair price?

chevynut
11-16-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm looking for someone to set up my C4 Dana 44 HD differential. I have the carrier cleaned and rebuilt, and the old bearings are still on it. I have new bearings that will need to be pressed on. The new ring gear is attached to the carrier and bolts are torqued. I have the empty aluminum case cleaned and a new pinion, new shims, new bearings, pinion seal, and all parts cleaned.

All I want done is to have the ring and pinion set up, contact pattern and backlash checked, and the front yoke and carrier caps torqued. I'll assemble the rest of it.

What should this work typically cost? I've read what guys have paid on the Corvette forums, and I made a couple of calls to day that seemed high. I don't know what I should pay for this, but if it's too much I'll consider doing it myself. ;)

Rick_L
11-17-2015, 05:35 AM
The prices I hear from places that specialize in that make the call easy for me. I do it myself. If you don't have all the tools, they'll pay for themselves with the first one you set up. Shop manuals and numerous other sources tell you what to do and how.

chevynut
11-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Rick, that's why I usually do this stuff myself. I have most of the tools (torque wrench, press, dial indicator, etc) except a bearing puller and an inch-pound torque wrench which I could buy or borrow. I saw a Yukon bearing puller for over $400 and I don't want to pay that. In fact I hesitate to buy many specialty tools for this because I may never use them again. :)

I've read enough about doing it that I think I can handle it with some patience, but the most confusing part of it to me is the shimming. The main issue here is really time as I have a lot of stuff to do. I have parts laying all over the place that need polished and put on my chassis, as well as 3 frames to build. You suggested I have someone polish my gas tank and I did it myself and it took way too many hours. Now I want to have someone do this job and you say to do it myself. :) :)

I think I could do this, but it would take me 3 times as long as having someone do it for me. I have read on the Corvette forum where guys had gears in their Dana 44's and 36's changed for $200, plus parts. I called a shop here yesterday and they wanted $475 to do it which I thought was ridiculous. Another guy said $350 just to set up the ring and pinion. If I can get it done for $250 I'd farm it out....more than that makes me want to do it myself. I've got another shop to call today and that may make up my mind. ;)

Rick_L
11-17-2015, 08:43 AM
The prices quoted seem in line with my knowledge of what people charge.

Polishing vs. rear gear setup vs. spending those hours making some money at your suspension conversions seems to be your immediate dilemma. You have to make the call to decide the value received for the high price of either, and the money received vs. the time spent for paying work. You can also file in the nuisance factor on polishing and the risk of them doing a job not up to your expectations.

chevynut
11-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Called another local shop and they're going to do it for $250. ;)