PDA

View Full Version : Alt. Output

markm
12-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Spent the day working on a 71 GMC 4x4 with a plow and salt spreader, I have 14.15 volts at alt and 13.88 at Bat. I would have like to have seen less drop. It has a 94 amp 10SI off an 87 GMC. What do you all think is normal, I was thinking about two tenths drop.

chevynut
12-05-2015, 07:27 PM
It depends on the load. How much current are you drawing? How long is the wire from the battery to the alternator, and what size is it? Where are you sensing the voltage?

markm
12-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Duh, runs through the OEM 14 gauge charging wire, its a non ac cab probably had a 37 to 45 amp alt. I had thought about the LMC Truck adaptor but not wire size. Thanks.

chevynut
12-06-2015, 09:41 AM
I think 14 gauge is way too small for a charging wire. I'd go 10 gauge at least, possibly 8 gauge. Also if it has a sense wire you can move it to the fuse box...that's what I did on my Nomad with the CS130 alternator.

markm
12-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Both of my 87 GMC 4x4s are equipped with a 94 amp 10SI with an 8ga wire from Alt to Bat. Would I be correct in adding a 10ga wire to this truck and leave OE 14 in harness. If its not hooked at battery whole truck is dead.

chevynut
12-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Why would the whole truck be dead if you take off the charging wire from the alternator to the battery? The fuse box should still be connected to the battery somehow. Perhaps the wire from the alternator also goes to the fuse box? Is there more than one wire on the alternator terminal?

I guess I don't see anything wrong with leaving the 14 gauge wire in parallel, if it goes from the charging terminal on the alternator to the battery. In fact, it makes it work like a larger wire so perhaps you don't need an 8 gauge wire.

markm
12-07-2015, 06:54 AM
My 67 Camaro, 72 Cheyenne and 72 Blazer are all wired this way, but remember they all were equipped with externally regulated alternators when new.

cardoc55
12-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Always use a fuse on 8 wire, maxe 80 amp.

markm
12-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Added a 10 gauge wire from alt to bat yesterday leaving factory 14 gauge in place. No voltage drop now, I cut wires to the POS Sony radio and no more voltage drain while parked. These new car radios are good for nothing except running down battery's.

Rustaddict
12-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Added a 10 gauge wire from alt to bat yesterday leaving factory 14 gauge in place. No voltage drop now, I cut wires to the POS Sony radio and no more voltage drain while parked. These new car radios are good for nothing except running down battery's.

Almost all the music that gets played these days ain't no good either. I used to think cutting radio wires was a crime but haven't felt that way in years. It's no surprise that demand for radio delete plates is so strong.

markm
12-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Marks rule for music "If it never was available on 8 track its crap".

markm
12-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Almost all the music that gets played these days ain't no good either. I used to think cutting radio wires was a crime but haven't felt that way in years. It's no surprise that demand for radio delete plates is so strong.

Correct about todays music, here is my rule, "If it was never recorded on an 8-track its crap".

Rustaddict
12-23-2015, 04:55 PM
That's not a bad rule of thumb.

chevynut
12-23-2015, 09:22 PM
That's not a bad rule of thumb.

Yeah but realize he's the guy who doesn't like anything bigger than 15" wheels, prefers carbs over EFI, never uses Facebook, and probably still uses a rotary phone and wears a mullet. LOL! :) :)

I personally like a lot of today's music. I liked Creed, Nickelback, Dave Mathews, Three Doors Down and many more bands in the late 90's and early 2000s and I listen to country a lot. I still love the Beatles, CCR, Bee Gees, and lots of the 60's and 70's music too. The 80's sucked quite a bit as far as the music and cars, imo.

markm
12-24-2015, 12:07 PM
If you were as smart as you think Cnut you would know why my garage and shop have rotary phones, but since you are not I will explain it. When I bought the place years ago the garage had a rotary phone I added a push button. When I built the shop I installed one of each. Today all that still works are those antique rotary's, I have lost track of the replacement push buttons I have installed. My brother in law who has almost 40 years in phone business explains it like this "we owned the phone in the day of rotary phones and did not like service calls". A far a country music go's I listen to it too, however my same rule applies to it.

FYI Wish I still had enough hair to grow a decent mullet.

chevynut
12-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Gee Mark, I was just joking about the rotary phones and didn't realize you REALLY DID have them. :) :) :)

I hear you on the hair.....

Rick_L
12-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Mark can you repair 8 track players and tapes too? ;)

LOL.

If so, you're a highly skilled person!

markm
12-24-2015, 05:00 PM
No Rick I tried that in the 70s and failed miserably. I still have a box of them in the back bedroom. CCR, Steve Miller, Ted Nugent, Eagles, Stones No Beatles they suck. I don't believe it was humanly possible to rewind one of those things.

Rick_L
12-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Glad to know you're just human like most of the rest of us.