PDA

View Full Version : trunk repair question

givie
12-14-2015, 09:29 PM
I have a 1955 Chevy HT and the trunk area needs assistance. The tail pan area was rusted out, so I removed what remained and ordered the parts: tail pan, the brace and a part that attaches to the body mounts, which I have forgotten the name. My question is, does someone have an example of how these parts attach and in what order. Any help would be appreciated. :?:?:?

Rick_L
12-15-2015, 05:32 AM
The tail pan brace is what sits on the body mounts. The third part you refer to is the trunk floor itself.

The brace goes on the bottom, trunk floor is in the middle, and the tail pan is on top.

If the trunk floor is rusted, you often only need to replace the rear area of it. They make a panel that is the last 10" of the floor. Repair that area first, then add the other two pieces. It's best to fit all the pieces with sheet metal screws and maybe a few tack welds, then once you're happy with the fit, you can remove the screws a few at a time and plug weld.

Other pieces you may need are the outer trunk corners and inner trunk corners. While the tailpan, trunk floor, and tailpan brace usually fit quite well, the corners are not so good, especially the inners. Don't be afraid to modify them if needed.

Rustaddict
12-15-2015, 06:12 AM
I have a 1955 Chevy HT and the trunk area needs assistance. The tail pan area was rusted out, so I removed what remained and ordered the parts: tail pan, the brace and a part that attaches to the body mounts, which I have forgotten the name. My question is, does someone have an example of how these parts attach and in what order. Any help would be appreciated. :?:?:?

I can tell you from personal experience to make sure the rest of your trunk floor is in good shape before ordering any repair panels. I ordered the rear panel for mine only to have to sell it and put in a whole trunk floor.

Bihili
12-15-2015, 07:13 AM
Before your final weld have trunk lid installed and centered.
You will want to check the gaps to trunk lid when installing tail pan.
I also would recommend having the car on the ground or jack stands under axle before final weld of trunk floor.
If car was on rotisserie when trying to install floor it would cause problems.

givie
12-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Thank you everyone for the valuable information.