PDA

View Full Version : Beware:Griffin Cross Flow Aluminum Radiator & Vintage Air Condenser problems

Danny57
01-27-2016, 08:20 PM
I purchased a VA kit for my 57 150 2dr sedan, 372ci. The condenser kit VA sells for the Griffin Radiator comes with hard lines that route under the radiator. Griffin added a trans cooling tank to the bottom of these radiators over 5 years ago, this info according to a VA tech I spoke with at the Tri-Five Nationals. The included condenser kit lines are useless, won't fit because of the transmission cooling tank. I had to buy straight lines & bend to work through side panels.

Also the way the condenser mounts to the front of the radiator by drilling & using included sheet metal screws makes it easy to penetrate the cross flow. There is very little space to clear the tubes & I drilled into one side & pierced another place with the sharp point sheet metal screw that went in a little crooked. Impossible for me to weld, so I used Marine JB Weld, so far so good but extremely frustrating & delay.

In my opinion: Vintage Air should stop selling this kit until updated to fit (correct hard lines) & warn of possible tube damage due to close proximity when mounting as designed, or better yet, re-design the mounting arrangement.
Danny57.

chevynut
01-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Did you give this feedback directly to Vintage Air? If not, you should.

JT56
01-28-2016, 06:07 AM
Not that it helps in your application, but the PRC units the top and bottom tubes are blanks. Sorry to hear about that.

Danny57
01-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Yes Chevynut I did give the same information to Vintage Air, but haven't heard anything & don't teally expect to hear anything. Just hope they clean this up before anyone else suffers through the same frustration & expense I experienced.
I still love Vintage Air equipment, just needs some tweaking on that particular condenser.
d

Danny57
02-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Do you ever feel ignored? It's been almost 3 weeks & I have no response from Vintage Air. I sent it to sales & technical. If anyone has the email address of the founder/owner, I be he would respond.
Let me know if you have a contact for him.
Vintage Air makes great products & I can't believe this should go unanswered. I'm stubborn like that.
Danny

Rick_L
02-18-2016, 05:33 AM
I would call not email.

markm
02-18-2016, 08:02 AM
I would call not email.

I always call, have not had great success with email on these matters.