PDA

View Full Version : 55 Chevrollet stock steering is awfull

shommel
01-28-2016, 12:59 PM
I am wanting to get manual steering box that will steer easier? I have a aftermarket steering wheel and 2" dropped front end and it is murder to turn the SW especially when sitting still. I need some suggestions please. Texaskrauthead

Rick_L
01-28-2016, 02:20 PM
There's no acceptable answer for a manual box, unless your steering box is just shot and has friction it shouldn't have. If your box is shot, you can buy a remanufactured stock box from Borgeson.

One thing you can do is go back to the stock steering wheel diameter. That will make a difference.

shommel
01-29-2016, 12:02 PM
OK Thanks for the information. Texaskrauthead

markm
01-29-2016, 12:45 PM
I reluctantly installed a 500 ps box on my 56 and I had a stock steering wheel. I always figured 225/70/15 tires were to blame.

Custer55
01-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Check the idler arm bushing. If they are still the stock rubber ones they will make the car steer very hard. I put in a kit that uses ball bearings on mine years ago (Poor Man's Power Steering) and it helps. I don't remember where i got it from. Probably Classic Chevy (Ecklers) or Danchuck. They were about the only options for parts back in the 80's.
Brian

zsparkman
02-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Shommel.
American Powertrain makes a kit that can convert the manual steering to electric. Requires no hydraulics, should work well with the stock steering box and reduce your steering effort. Fits under the dash out of sight. That might be an option you could explore. Good luck.
Sparky
http://americanpowertrain.com/p-29458-electric-power-steering.html