PDA

View Full Version : Lower dash hardware which tool to buy?

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
04-16-2016, 10:09 AM
I started removing the pull cable vents from my lower dash getting things stripped before heading for paint and I dont have any bits that fit them. I thought they were sq drive but none of mine would fit. They appear to be an elongated sq or rectangled slot. The emergency brake has 2 larger ones. Where can I buy these bits? What are they called? Guess I have never seen any before.
Thanks
Rocky

chevynut
04-16-2016, 12:23 PM
They're called clutch screws, with an oval slot. Why not just use regular or socket screws?

04-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Im trying to remove the little sob's lol. No prob going back with std stuff

Update success!!! flat blade screw driver took care of e brake screws vice grips took care of vent screws. 2 snapped off looks like tommorrows project is pre-defined already.Rocky

chevynut
04-16-2016, 05:10 PM
LOL! By"bits" I thought you meant "parts". I've seen some people refer to parts as "bits", so I thought you wanted to know where to get the screws. :) :)

Rick_L
04-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Most of the 55-57 parts places sell a set of 3 clutch head screwdrivers, and they're pretty cheap. I got mine from H&H.

04-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys guess I'm getting old all the screws are kicking my Azz. They just dont want to let go especially the very small machine threaded screws. Looks like I will have to invest into a small size tap and die set. I did manage to get the tailgate large phillip screws out. Had to use the welder on one. Very pumped i got it off but wore out ....

Rick_L
04-17-2016, 04:14 PM
A very good tool for stubborn screws, especially for small Phillips head screws, is a battery powered impact driver. I got one a while back, honestly I didn't know what I was missing. I've never seen a clutch head bit for one, maybe that would be the ultimate. You can lean on it to keep the bit from slipping, and simultaneously apply some decent torque - with control. Short of that, use a 3/8" breaker bar, a 3/8" to 1/4" square drive adapter, and whatever size socket you need to adapt to the hex bits that are made for the impact. You can apply force with the heel of your thumb to keep the bit from slipping, and get decent torque.

The best impact drivers will drive a 3" Phillips head drywall screw through a 2x4 without drilling a pilot hole and without the bit slipping. Try that just about any other way - it's impossible.

04-18-2016, 05:16 AM
Thanks Rick I may need to invest in one. I used a large hammer on manual impact driver for the tail gate.

06-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Well I ordered a set of clutch drivers glad I did probably never use again but I found more in the taillight housing. I've just about got the car stripped for blasting hopefully thats the last clutch screws I will see lol...

markm
06-07-2016, 01:36 PM
The only other place I routinely use a clutch head screw driver is on 4160 Model Holley rear jet plate.