PDA

View Full Version : LS L96 6L90E

gjw
04-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Has anyone used this combination in a tri five. It looks the replacement for the LQ4. Am I close.

Thanks Greg

NickP
04-22-2016, 11:00 AM
First and most important, WELCOME!!! An "LS" is an LS. Having said that, intake manifold configurations differ through the entire series as do the accessory drives, water pump and oil pans. What specific information are you needing? There are several here that can assist.

gjw
04-24-2016, 09:37 AM
I am looking at buying a 2500 gmc sierra van newly wrecked with 9 miles on it from a reputable salvage yard. It needs a replacement intake and they will make it ready to run. I have read a lot about other LS combos but not much on this particular set up. So looking to see if others have information as whether or not this would be a good combo for my 56 nomad

Thanks Greg

gjw
04-24-2016, 05:02 PM
I am thinking that the L96 has the L92 heads and that the 6L90 has been used in some of chevys high performance packages. My thoughts would be to install a LS3 or similar intake, port the heads, change the cam, add headers, re tune or program the engine and change the torque converter?. I am hearing that this should make around 500 plus hp and 480ish ft lbs torque. I am hoping to hear from some of you that I am not dreaming

Thanks Greg

Rick_L
04-24-2016, 07:15 PM
No personal experience here, but it would appear that the L96 is a 6.0 liter LS engine with an iron block and LS3 style rectangular heads.

It would seem that an LS3 intake would be appropriate. All you should need to do is get all that to work together as a package, which shouldn't be that difficult. All you should need is some wiring advice and PCM advice (or mods) from someone who does this stuff like Speartech.

gjw
04-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Right that's what i am thinking Rick. How helpful is this sight to get insight. Best to ask first before jumping. Seeing how the heads are like the LS3 maybe porting wouldn't yield the results I am looking for

Thanks

gjw
04-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome Nick, so would you and others agree that this combo is a good path forward. In shopping the crate motor and tranny and all the accessorizes needed this sure is a better price

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
04-25-2016, 04:17 AM
Welcome.
That is a 6 speed trans. You will have to modify the floor tunnel to fit it just an fyi.
Rocky

gjw
04-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Good point, that is one of the questions I needed to ask. Is there any points of view on this particular transmission. Are the 5th & 6th overdrive gears worth the effort ?.

gjw
04-25-2016, 09:04 AM
How about some of the more popular engine upgrades ?. I am sure there has been a lot of these done as to be able to draw from all this experience. Again it is the L96 LS engine

04-25-2016, 12:42 PM
I was looking at L76 engines before I bought. which is the aluminum block version of your engine. They were used in the G8. As noted they are a cross breed between Ls2 & Ls3. The ls3 intake is suppose to fit but you want find alot of info on your mods listed because these engines are not as known as the rest of the LS fleet. LS1 tech would be tge best place to ask mod questions on this engine. The hp numbers you quote can be achived with your engine. The 6 speed is a totally different trans than the 4 speeds before it. Unless you just want to paddle shift you would be happy with a 4l80 4 speed which will fit the tunnel without mod. But if you have purchased a complete swap engine trans harness combo you be money ahead to use the combo imo al depends on your goals really.

gjw
04-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the response. When you say its a cross between the LS2 and LS3 what does that mean. Its a 6 liter with the truck type intake which by the way does not come with this engine

Rick_L
04-25-2016, 03:22 PM
LS2 is 6.0 liters with cathedral port heads.

LS3 is 6.2 liters with rectangular port heads.

Yours is 6.0 with rectangular port heads.

Bihili
04-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Brendan at LT1swaps.com programmed my ECM for $75.
At his shop he had 6L90E on the floor. It is huge and would require major tunnel mods to a 57.
He also said something that flew over my head that might apply to your 6L90E, He said the industry had not figured out programming ECM and paddle shifting in swaps.

04-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Brendan at LT1swaps.com programmed my ECM for $75.
At his shop he had 4L90 on the floor. It is huge and would require major tunnel mods to a 57.
He also said something that flew over my head that might apply to your 4l90E, He said the industry had not figured out programming ECM and paddle shifting in swaps.

I think you mean 6l90e. There are very few that do the six speed and support the tap shift function but they are out there. John Speartech specializes in the 6 speed and tap shift but he is proud of his work$$$$$ I am planning to use him but as a comparison I did my own wiring harness and had it tuned for under 250$ The 6 speed swap and mixed engine combo is going to cost me 2500$ for tune and custom harness and hardware. The newer LS stuff is more involved then the first gen stuff that controlled the trans and engine in one ecm. The 6 speed has its own TCM inside of it. You now have to use same year ecms for the 6 speed.
Rocky

Rick_L
04-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Surprised that the custom shift functions seem to be difficult/expensive since GM offers a clumsy version OEM on the shifter stick on pickups. Seems like that could be repackaged fairly readily - but I have no real knowledge on how they go about it.

I didn't know much about 6L80 or 6L90 transmissions (even though I own a vehicle with one). I was surprised to find that there are no sprags or roller clutches. I guess that explains why mine is so jerky at low speed/light throttle - it doesn't seem to know what gear to be in for some conditions in city driving, especially when it and the engine are cold. I was also kind of surprised that the 6L80 and 6L90 are essentially the same transmission except for the torque ratings. I didn't see any description of how they achieve the higher ratings in a 6L90 either. The other thing I saw was that the aftermarket companies steer you away from 6 speed automatics if you have power adders, saying they weren't strong enough. Which probably makes sense anyway, most guys with a turbo don't care.

gjw
04-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Holly smokes, I thought these ls combos were suppose to be user friendly but doesn't sound like it in this case. Maybe due to the newness of this combo. I might just want to buy the L96 LS engine and not the 6l90 tranny and purchase a 4l60 seperately. Do we have any good info. on this motor ?

Bihili
04-28-2016, 06:24 AM
I think you mean 6l90e.
Rocky

Yes I did mean 6L90E.
Thanks for the correction. You can tell it flew over my head.

04-28-2016, 08:03 AM
gjw don't let me scare you. If you are buying a complete take out that includes harness and trans and computer there are several suppliers that can make it stand alone for reasonable money. But if you are buying a incomplete package I would shy away from the 6 speed unless you just want paddle shifting. It has a very low first gear which is almost useless if you don't gear it right and have the proper tire height as it is designed for. Even the 4 speeds first gear and second ratio are so far apart drag racers put the 400 in them. But for the street I like them. You need highway gears in the rear for both. The 6 speed in stock form is far stronger than the 4l60 etc.... I learned all this after I purchased. The first gen ls1 is far easier to diy swap. Depending on your engine year you may have VVT and dot or what every they call it to deal with. If your looking for mileage some say to leave all that in the tune but if your goal is to build a performance setup you might consider an older version of LS with a 4l80 trans....

Rick_L
04-28-2016, 09:00 AM
The six speed autos have that really low 1st gear so that they can run a really tight torque converter - for gas mileage. Probably one reason the aftermarket guys downplay them - and rightly so.

gjw
05-04-2016, 03:45 PM
The six speed autos have that really low 1st gear so that they can run a really tight torque converter - for gas mileage. Probably one reason the aftermarket guys downplay them - and rightly so.

OK then how about this L96 matched up with a 4l60e transmission. Do we think they will talk to each other or is it going to be a new LS not mixing well with this older trans. ?

Rick_L
05-04-2016, 03:51 PM
I would go with a 4L65 or 4L70, which is the same transmission with more gears in the planetaries.

The L96 you are looking at has a separate transmission controller for the 6L90. All you would need to do is get a separate controller for the 4L70, and Chevy has built vehicles that way.

How are you going to use this car? If you're not going too wild, the 6L90 might be OK - but it sounds like that's not the plan.