PDA

View Full Version : valvetrain questions

chevynut
05-18-2016, 02:23 PM
What's the purpose of valve spring locators? Please don't say they locate the spring ;). When do you need them and what do they really do. My 502 doesn't have anything under the springs but steel shims and I don't think GM uses spring locators in any crate engines. Are they just a gimmick?

How should a retainer fit a valve spring? My retainers are a light "snap" fit into my outer springs. I looked at COMP's spring and retainer list and I see some of them have quite a bit of clearance to the outer spring ID. How much smaller can the retainer be than the ID of the outer spring? Can you locate off the inner spring effectively?

Rick_L
05-18-2016, 03:50 PM
Seems like you posted a youtube showing dynamic valve spring action. They try to move around a lot, not just up and down. The other thing that a "locator" (I call it a spring cup) does is provide a hardened material to ride against the valve spring. This keeps the spring from eroding the head, especially an aluminum head.

I like for the retainer to be a close fit ("snap" as you described it) with the outer spring and the inner spring, though the outer is more important. Again because the springs want to move around. In the end you run what you can get, or in a pinch, what you have.

Because of all this extra motion, there is a lot of debris coming off the valve springs, especially at high rpm. That's why I glue a magnet in the oil drain holes at each end of the head.

I wouldn't machine the spring pocket to be able to run a spring cup on a street engine, especially a trailer queen engine. Unless the heads were going to be in the machine shop for some other better reason.

55 Rescue Dog
05-18-2016, 03:56 PM
For someone from the aircraft industry, you could solve your altitude/power problem cheaper with 100 year old tech at a much lower rpm, and still use the same valve covers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

chevynut
05-18-2016, 08:12 PM
And what the hell does that have to do with valvetrains, RD? Another of your typical off-topic posts.

The car's already built, disassembled, and going back together the way I built it. And putting a turbo on it wouldn't be "cheap" anyhow.

chevynut
05-18-2016, 09:40 PM
The other thing that a "locator" (I call it a spring cup) does is provide a hardened material to ride against the valve spring. This keeps the spring from eroding the head, especially an aluminum head.

The steel shims that are under my springs seem to do that too....each spring had at least one .062" shim under it. I can see the moving around part, but GM didn't seem to see the need to add locators. That's why I wondered why they sold them and if they really do anything, especially in a street application. They're more expensive than shims, but not a lot of money...$37 a set. Shims are $21 for an assortment pack of 48. I probably need another .06" or so of shims and the locators are that thickness. If they truly help do something I'd fork over the extra money.

I like for the retainer to be a close fit ("snap" as you described it) with the outer spring and the inner spring, though the outer is more important. Again because the springs want to move around. In the end you run what you can get, or in a pinch, what you have.

My outer springs are 1.133 ID and I found retainers that are 1.100", 1.125", and 1.135" at the outer spring ID. I'm just looking ahead in case I need lighter retainers on my intake valves. One of the retainers has exactly the right ID for the inner spring at .800", and the upper step is 1.100" diameter (.033" smaller than the spring).

My springs are 1.514" OD and probably less than 1.325" across the center of the coils. How small can the retainer OD get? Smaller is lighter. I suppose that depends on how well the ID fits the retainer. Seems like you'd want the smallest OD you can get, perhaps just past the center of the coils, and a close-fitting ID.

I took a look at the COMP catalog and it's really confusing. They don't really give any guidelines for selecting a retainer, only the spring and retainer dimensions. They do recommend retainers for each of their springs but their numbers are all over the place. I found springs and recommended retainers for them where the retainer OD is as much as .163" smaller than the spring OD. The step in the retainer is as much as .068" smaller than the spring ID. So it looks like as long as the retainer fits on the spring it's good and clearances really don't matter. :confused:

They have two Ti retainers that are so close I wonder why they bother. Their 720 retainer is 1.437" OD with a 1.098" second diameter, and a .798" third diameter. Their 731 Ti retainer is 1.437" OD with a 1.100" second diameter and a .800" third diameter. The two dimensions differ by .002". That's probably inside their machining tolerances! The weird thing is they have different steel and tool steel equivalents listed. They call the 720 retainer "lightweight" and say it's for a 1.500-1.550 diameter spring, and the 730 is supposedly for a 1.4375-1.500" diameter spring. And they're almost exactly the same thing. :D

But I did find this:

"Retainers and Locks
No valvespring discussion would be complete without touching on the gear that actually retains the spring on the valve stem: the retainers and locks (aka keys or keepers). A retainer must be the right diameter to fit the spring, and-in the case of dual or triple springs-the steps must be in the correct location to match each spring element. The actual fit should be snug but not excessively tight; Duttweiler likes to see about a 0.010-inch difference, while SAM calls for about a 0.005-inch interference fit: "Any more puts stress on the spring wire, leading to failure." Godbold concurs: "If the fit is too tight, more than a slight snap fit, there is added stress at the spring tip that can lead to failure. If the retainer is too loose, then there will be much more wear between the spring and retainer." On multiple springs, this applies to each individual spring comprising the assembly."

I guess COMP doesn't go by those guidelines. :eek:

55 Rescue Dog
05-19-2016, 04:36 PM
You haven't covered push rods yet. Another piece of the puzzle?

JT56
05-20-2016, 07:18 AM
CN, since your engine will rarely see high RPM, in its application, you should be fine with mild steel retainers. You could upgrade to the Chrome moly ones for the piece of mind, but unless you have spring seat pressures of 200 or more would you need titanium. I assume in the GM specs it shows the spring install height? That is the primary reason for the shims.

I dont know enough about "locators" to add any comments, but it sounds like when "Rev Kits" came out. To my knowledge AFR was the first company to make them, however they dont even sell them anymore. I do believe Howards still makes them. My point is, with the newer spring technology Rev Kits are no longer needed.

Rick_L
05-20-2016, 08:09 AM
One reason that rev kits are not used much is that the forces and accelerations on the valve side of the rocker arm are multiplied by the square of the rocker arm ratio.

The other reason is that they are a PITA.

chevynut
05-20-2016, 08:37 AM
JT, I was only looking at Ti and tool steel retainers to reduce the weight, not for strength. I weighed my retainers and they're about 35.4 grams. The COMP steel retainers are 34 grams per a COMP rep, the tool steel are 26, and the Ti ones are 19 grams. I read where one guy went with Ti retainers on his 502 and it fixed his valve float issues. I'd only need them on the intakes, I believe, and I wouldn't do it unless I was sure I needed them.

I got retainer recommendations for my springs from COMP and the Ti retainer they recommended was #727 with an OD of 1.5" and a Dia2 of 1.120". That's .014" smaller than my spring ID. They also said their tool steel retainer #1732 with an OD of 1.450" and a Dia2 of 1.100. That's .033" smaller than my spring ID. They also have another tool steel retainer #1731 that's 1.387 OD with a Dia2 of 1.100 and a Dia3 of .800. That .800 is a perfect fit into my inner spring, and it should be even lighter than #1732 and might help keep the retainer centered better than #1732 imo. The tool steel retainers cost a lot less than Ti.

Again, I'll probably not use any of these retainers unless I'm pretty sure I'll have a problem. Given that my installed spring pressures were light (average of 131 lb seat and 316 lb at .524" lift) I may be fine with added shims.

I weighed my valvetrain components and I get 122 grams for a lifter, 59 grams for an intake pushrod, 145 grams for an intake valve, 130 grams for a spring, and 35 grams for a retainer. People say the "heavy" GM lifters are what causes valve float in these engines but I don't see it....they only travel 60% of the distance the valves, springs, and retainers travel (even less with 1.8 ratio lifters) and they're lighter than those parts. Wish I could plug that all into an app and it would tell me what spring pressure I need at a given RPM...the physics is pretty straightforward if you ignore complications like spring surge and make some assumptions. I did find a spreadsheet that will do it but haven't looked at it closely yet.

I'm going to be in Grand Cayman all next week so maybe I'll mess with it there. ;)

chevynut
05-20-2016, 08:42 AM
One reason that rev kits are not used much is that the forces and accelerations on the valve side of the rocker arm are multiplied by the square of the rocker arm ratio.

True if using the same cam lobe. But if you use the higher ratio rocker at the same valve lift, it reduces the acceleration and forces from the lifters and pushrods. If the lifters are allegedly "heavy" that would help if it doesn't introduce other issues.

I got Vizard's book on BBCs and haven't taken a close look at it, but he does recommend using 1.8 ratio rockers on intakes and 1.7 ratio on exhaust for a single pattern cam. I don' t understand why yet. Seems like it would be easier to just grind a dual pattern cam. Also, most cams have a higher exhaust lift so this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Rick_L
05-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Double check that statement about most cams having more exhaust lift. It's the other way around if anything.

Usually you have more lift, less duration on the intake, and more duration, less lift on the exhaust.

Maybe you should look at more cams.

chevynut
05-20-2016, 09:49 AM
Double check that statement about most cams having more exhaust lift. It's the other way around if anything.

Oh really? I don't know where you got that but just about every cam I've looked at has either the same valve lift on intake and exhaust, or more lift on the exhaust. Doesn't matter if it's a BBC or SBC, Pontiac, Ford or whatever. The vast majority of cams have more lift on the exhaust side regardless of manufacturer, from what I've seen.

GM 502 .527/.544
COMP XR282HR .510/.520
COMP XR288HR .520/.540
COMP XR294HR .540/.562
COMP XR300HR .562/.580
Lunati 20010349 .578/.585
Lunati 20010666 .554/.575
Howards 120246-10 .567/.578
Crower custom .500/.550

EVERY one of the 19 SBC cams in my GMPP catalog has equal or higher exhaust lift than intake. All but one of the 6 BBC cams in that catalog has equal or higher lift on the exhaust than intake.

3959180 .580/.620 (ZL-1 and LS-7 BBC)
3904362 .496/.492 (LS-6 BBC)

Look at the first page here: http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/camshafts?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=camshaft&kr=camshaft

So why do you say otherwise?

NickP
05-20-2016, 11:10 AM
I think, it's more to do with application. Task specific cams for drag racing lean more towards either equal or a bit more intake lift. Going to the link http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ft&kr=camshaft (http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/camshafts?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=camshaft&kr=camshaft)
and clicking, show all by lift may answer the issue but I don't have the time or patience for it:

chevynut
05-20-2016, 11:54 AM
COMP DRAG RACE BBC mechanical flat tappet cams:

COMP MA283A-8 .578/.578
COMP 294B-8 .580/.605
COMP 295A-8 .629/.605
COMP TL292A-8 .635/.637
COMP 310B-8 .638/.631
COMP 310C-8 .638/.638

So in 2 out of 6 COMP BBC drag race cams, the intake lift is higher than than exhaust. I don't think that's "usually". ;)

In 10 out of 15 SBC Drag race cams the intake lift is higher than the exhaust lift. So I think this is more a function of engine family AND APPLICATION than it is "usually". Because "usually" the intake lobe is smaller than the exhaust lobe if you want to generalize. I'll bet 85% or more of the cams in the COMP catalog and on Summit's website have equal or bigger exhaust lobes.

I noticed COMP's "Thumpr" cams typically have a higher intake than exhaust lift, but most others are the other way around or equal. Virtually all of their Extreme Energy cams have equal or higher lift exhaust lobes. That applies to any engine family.

But that's all pretty much irrelevant to why I brought it up. The point I was trying to make is Vizard seems to think the intake should have more lift than the exhaust and most OTS cams don't have that. That's why he uses a 1.8 rocker on the intake and 1.7 on the exhaust with a single pattern cam. What I was trying to understand in bringing it up was WHY wouldn't he just use a smaller exhaust lobe or a larger intake lobe?

The other thing Vizard emphasizes is NOT to go with the wider LSA that cam manufacturers want to sell you for a BBC. Notice I said for a BBC. ;) He says it kills horsepower and torque but cam manufacturers see it as an easy way to fix idle issues. As I understand it he says the most important spec for picking a cam is overlap, then you pick LSA, then duration is pretty much fixed to get the timing events right (with a symmetrical lobe). Lastly you pick lift to match your head and other components. I still need to read up on the specifics but breezing through that's what I picked up so far.

I know some of what Vizard's research says has been argued against and criticized, but most of his research is on BBCs and may not be fully extrapolated to smaller displacement engines. He even says that in the book, and points out that you can't put a big enough valve or get a big enough cam for a BBC to max out the power potential normally aspirated. They're under-valved in just about any large CI configuration. The guy uses a scientific approach and has decades of research and hundreds if not thousands of dyno runs to back up his stuff.....most of it on BBCs. And his explanation and justification for his recommendations makes sense. The thing is I'm not sure how much of it applies to a good street engine and not the drag strip.

Rick_L
05-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Solid flat tappet cams are dinosaurs, nobody runs them any more, especially in a competitive engine.

I may be guilty of not being quite as familiar with the hydraulic stuff though, more used to solid rollers.

One of the things going on with the street hydraulic cams is that most of the time the supplier is going to use intake and exhaust lobes from the same lobe "family". I.e., for a given design, as you increase duration, lift increases too. (Assuming the same rocker on both.)

Once you get to the solid roller lobes, you end up with an intake lobe from one "family" and an exhaust from another. At this point every camshaft is a custom build anyway.

I would argue that there are heads out there for BBCs that aren't intake valve restricted for a street engine. Maybe even for a competitive race engine, as long as the displacement isn't too big. You'd need a big bore/short stroke.

55 Rescue Dog
05-20-2016, 05:32 PM
The big bore, short stroke L-88 427 internally balanced, with stamped steel rockers, and a solid lifter cam, and, 12.5 CR is still the best production BBC.

chevynut
05-21-2016, 08:54 AM
The big bore, short stroke L-88 427 internally balanced, with stamped steel rockers, and a solid lifter cam, and, 12.5 CR is still the best production BBC.

Not sure what the hell that has to do with valvetrains. At least you could have given cam specs to be relevant.

And I beg to differ, the all-aluminum ZL-1 427 is the best "production" BBC ever built. They haven't built a high performance production BBC for a long time except for low performance truck applications since the government screwed everything up in the early 70's.

But both the L-88 nd ZL-1 were marginally streetable, and wouldn't run today on pump gas. They were weak at low RPMs and needs to rev to make power. And the torque potential just doesn't compare to a larger displacement BBC.

The L-88 was installed from the factory WITH aluminum heads. the ZL-1 was all aluminum. two ZL-1's were made, and yes one is at rogers'. i beleive they are "valued" if you can call it that at 500,000 US.
L-88:
5140 forged steel crankshaft
12.5:1 compression
Valves: 2.19" intake, 1.84" exhaust (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/13/0/19/DealFrame/DealFrame.cmp?bm=882&BEFID=96477&acode=880&code=880&aon=&crawler_id=460869&dealId=RBiZ4jtrsw8QYZPOIUhnEw%3D%3D&searchID=&url=http%3A%2F%2FWWW.XTREMEDIESEL.COM%2FBanksPower Powerstroke7.3LBigHossBundleDualExhaust.aspx%3F&DealName=Banks%20Power%20Powerstroke%207.3L%20BigH oss%20Bundle%20%28Dual%20Exhaust%29&MerchantID=460869&HasLink=yes&category=0&AR=-1&NG=1&GR=1&ND=1&PN=1&RR=-1&ST=&MN=msnFeed&FPT=SDCF&NDS=1&NMS=1&NDP=1&MRS=&PD=0&brnId=2455&lnkId=8070676&Issdt=160520051300&IsFtr=0&IsSmart=0&dlprc=3317.65&SKU=8257)
850 CFM Holley Four-barrell
high rise aluminum intake
CAM:
solid lifter
.5365" lift on intake side, .5560 exhaust
duration: 337 intake, 340 exhaust

7/16" pushrod
"long-slot" stamped steel rocker arms
"chicken-wire" screen topping off the carb. those large gaps were to flow air not filter it.
95 motor octane minimum
1000 rpm idle, automatics were set to 2k commonly. please keep both feet firmly on the brake while shifting to drive. thank you

ZL-1
all aluminum, cast out of 356 T-6 alloy.. heads and block both. cast with a pair of extra bolt holes on each bank of cylinders. cast iron sleeves. dry sump oiling system

connecting rods, crank,pins, and valves were the same as used in the L-88
differences :
extra thick tops on TRW forged aluminum pistons
cam specs:
intake lift : .560 exhaust lift : .600
shorter duration, although I do not have the specs on that
reworked ports on the heads... which matched round headers that would be immediately installed by the new owner(we hope)
combustion chamber volume went to 118 cc, L-88 was at 106.8

Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/418065-question-about-a-69-l88-and-zl1.html#ixzz49J0hkelq

ZL-1 and LS-7 cam
GM P/N 3959180
327/333 degrees at lash point
262/273 degrees at .050"
.580/.620" lift
110 LCA

chevynut
05-21-2016, 09:18 AM
I may be guilty of not being quite as familiar with the hydraulic stuff though, more used to solid rollers.

COMP Magnum Mechanical Roller BBC camshafts:

COMP 288AR .623"/.623"
COMP 308AR .652"/.652"
COMP XR274R .639"/.646"
COMP XR280R .646/.653"
COMP XR286R .653/.660"
COMP XR292R .660"/.666"

There are a several cams in their Marine and drag race mechanical roller lines that have higher lift intakes. Out of 38 cams listed, 26 of them have a taller intake lobe.

I would argue that there are heads out there for BBCs that aren't intake valve restricted for a street engine. Maybe even for a competitive race engine, as long as the displacement isn't too big. You'd need a big bore/short stroke.

Vizard says that's not the case. He says:

"The number one factor limiting your big-block efforts in terms of power per cube is a valve size far too small for the displacement. Even when displacement is at the smallest end of the scale at, say, 454 ci, the valves commonly used in available heads are still far too small to effectively feed the engine. The consequences of this shortcoming are that the cylinder heads' flow capability becomes of paramount importance".

"This, in turn , means you must diligently seek to maximize both intake valve acceleration and total lift."

He goes on to say:

"...at the fundamental level the power achieved from an engine is a function of the air it consumes. In simple terms you can have either a 600 ci engine running 5000 RPM or a 300 inch engine running 10000 RPM. "When aircraft used piston engines it was very clear early on in the development of such engines that the best power for a given overall size and weight of engine was to be had from the biggest displacement possible. In other words, bigger inches at lower RPM resulted in the best power to weight ratio."

chevynut
05-21-2016, 10:03 AM

Simple math says that at only 6000 RPM a 502 needs 436 CFM AVERAGE on the intake stroke to attain 100% VE. There aren't many heads that can do that, and certainly not many you'd run on the street.

Air Flow Research
AFR has released an all new 375 cc Magnum Series BBC head, the largest and highest flowing BBC product in its line-up with flow numbers that are closer to 18 degree Pro-stock style heads. If you’ve got the displacement AFR’s head can feed it with an intake port that flirts with 440 CFM at a usable lift-point, and enough complimenting exhaust flow to still maintain over 75% of that number at .800? lift (335 CFMs at .800? lift). While this runner is more aimed at 572 – 632 cid applications, in a light car it could still be considered in 555-565 cid aggressive builds that are built to reliably turn 7,800 – 8,500 rpms (Ti valves are recommended over 8,000 rpms). The company explains this head will be best utilized with camshafts in the .780? – .850? range to take full advantage of its higher lift airflow. But this head also provides low and mid-lift flow as well (400+ CFM at .600? lift). This head comes with a .750? thick head deck, reinforced rocker stud bosses, and is equipped with 2.350? intake/1.880? tulip exhaust valves."

Rick_L
05-21-2016, 10:08 AM
In other words, bigger inches at lower RPM resulted in the best power to weight ratio."

That's backasswards. As an example, in drag racing where cars are classified by weight per cubic inch, the smallest engine/lightest car has an advantage. It's also backasswards from your "intake valve is too small" theory, in fact that's part of the reason. If you make the engine smaller and don't change intake valve size, you've gained on that problem. A great example of that was back around 1980 in NHRA pro stock when Reher Morrison used a 360 ci BBC to win a bunch of races. Unlike in later years, they ran a lb/ci format instead of a maximum engine size/minimum weight format.

55 Rescue Dog
05-21-2016, 10:28 AM
The L-88 and many other high compression engines run great, and make more power on E-85 from the pump.

NickP
05-21-2016, 10:51 AM
The L-88 and many other high compression engines run great, and make more power on E-85 from the pump.

And this is relative to the topic in what way?

chevynut
05-21-2016, 11:07 AM
That's backasswards. As an example, in drag racing where cars are classified by weight per cubic inch, the smallest engine/lightest car has an advantage.

Vizard is talking about engine weight, not car weight.

It's also backasswards from your "intake valve is too small" theory, in fact that's part of the reason. If you make the engine smaller and don't change intake valve size, you've gained on that problem.

Yes you've gained on the problem with less cubes, but the engine can't make as much power if it doesn't pull in as much air. His point is that bigger engines with good airflow pull more air and therefore make more power. So they have more power potential. And it's not MY theory, it's Vizard's. ;)

chevynut
05-21-2016, 11:17 AM
And this is relative to the topic in what way?

What else is new? I think he has ADHD. :) I've asked him numerous questions on many topics and he can't seem to conjure up a reply and instead brings up yet another unrelated topic. When I ask him to start a new thread about his off-topic post, he never does, preferring to keep distracting from the thread topic. Next he'll start blabbering about different fuels and possibly fuel tanks and lines.

ADHD Symptom Snapshot

There are 3 core symptoms of ADHD: inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. The following are examples of how ADHD symptoms may appear in adults.

Symptoms of Inattention

Often makes careless mistakes and lacks attention to details
(Examples: overlooking or missing details or handing in work that is inaccurate)
Often has difficulty paying attention to tasks
(Example: difficulty remaining focused during lectures, conversations, or lengthy readings)
Often seems to not listen when spoken to directly
(Example: mind seems elsewhere, even in the absence of obvious distraction)
Often fails to follow through on instructions, chores, or duties in the workplace
(Example: starts tasks but quickly loses focus and is easily sidetracked)

Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
(Examples: messy, disorganized work; poor time management; fails to meet deadlines)
Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to participate in tasks requiring sustained mental effort, like preparing reports, completing forms, or reviewing lengthy papers
Often loses things like tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, and mobile phones
Often easily distracted by other things, including unrelated thoughts
Often forgetful in daily activities, such as running errands, returning calls, paying bills, and keeping appointments

Symptoms of Hyperactivity and Impulsivity

Often fidgets with or taps hands and feet or squirms in seat
Often leaves seat when remaining seated is expected
(Example: leaves their place in the office or other workplace setting or in other situations that require remaining seated)
Often runs or climbs where it is inappropriate or feels restless (in adults, may be limited to feeling restless)
Often unable to participate in leisure activities quietly
Often acts as if “on the go" or “driven by a motor”
(Example: is unable to be or uncomfortable being still for an extended time, as in meetings or restaurants)

Often talks excessively
Often blurts out an answer before a question has been fully asked
(Examples: completes people’s sentences; cannot wait for next turn in conversation)
Often has difficulty waiting his or her turn, for example, while waiting in line
Often interrupts or intrudes on others
(Examples: butts into conversations, games, or activities; may start using other people’s things without asking or receiving permission; may intrude into or take over what others are doing)

55 Rescue Dog
05-22-2016, 06:01 AM
What else is new? I think he has ADHD. :) I've asked him numerous questions on many topics and he can't seem to conjure up a reply and instead brings up yet another unrelated topic. When I ask him to start a new thread about his off-topic post, he never does, preferring to keep distracting from the thread topic. Next he'll start blabbering about different fuels and possibly fuel tanks and lines.

ADHD Symptom Snapshot

There are 3 core symptoms of ADHD: inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. The following are examples of how ADHD symptoms may appear in adults.

Symptoms of Inattention

Often makes careless mistakes and lacks attention to details
(Examples: overlooking or missing details or handing in work that is inaccurate)
Often has difficulty paying attention to tasks
(Example: difficulty remaining focused during lectures, conversations, or lengthy readings)
Often seems to not listen when spoken to directly
(Example: mind seems elsewhere, even in the absence of obvious distraction)
Often fails to follow through on instructions, chores, or duties in the workplace
(Example: starts tasks but quickly loses focus and is easily sidetracked)

Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
(Examples: messy, disorganized work; poor time management; fails to meet deadlines)
Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to participate in tasks requiring sustained mental effort, like preparing reports, completing forms, or reviewing lengthy papers
Often loses things like tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, and mobile phones
Often easily distracted by other things, including unrelated thoughts
Often forgetful in daily activities, such as running errands, returning calls, paying bills, and keeping appointments

Symptoms of Hyperactivity and Impulsivity

Often fidgets with or taps hands and feet or squirms in seat
Often leaves seat when remaining seated is expected
(Example: leaves their place in the office or other workplace setting or in other situations that require remaining seated)
Often runs or climbs where it is inappropriate or feels restless (in adults, may be limited to feeling restless)
Often unable to participate in leisure activities quietly
Often acts as if “on the go" or “driven by a motor”
(Example: is unable to be or uncomfortable being still for an extended time, as in meetings or restaurants)

Often talks excessively
Often blurts out an answer before a question has been fully asked
(Examples: completes people’s sentences; cannot wait for next turn in conversation)
Often has difficulty waiting his or her turn, for example, while waiting in line
Often interrupts or intrudes on others
(Examples: butts into conversations, games, or activities; may start using other people’s things without asking or receiving permission; may intrude into or take over what others are doing)

And, what does this have to do with the original post asking about spring locators? I don't think I'm the one that goes on, and on with endless changing posts on a engine that could have been running by now. New threads, same subject different titles going back to November 2015. http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/4246-Freshening-up-my-Ramjet-502

55 Rescue Dog
05-27-2016, 04:11 PM
An engineer, and now a psychiatrist too! I'd rather have my disorder. At least I'm not an internet forum bully, just another car guy is all.

Rick_L
05-27-2016, 06:36 PM
OK, so Cnut is an internet bully. What does that make you? An internet bully with a different perpective, or a troll? Either way, you're not looking good.

NickP
05-28-2016, 06:27 AM
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6068&stc=1

Maddog
05-28-2016, 09:59 AM
An engineer, and now a psychiatrist too! I'd rather have my disorder. At least I'm not an internet forum bully, just another car guy is all.

AND AT LEAST YOU HAVEN'T BEEN KICKED OFF OF MULTIPLE FORUMS
JUST IGNORE THEM, THEY'LL TAKE YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL

Rick_L
05-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Trolls unite!

NickP
05-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Trolls unite!

Dog eat Dog world.

Maddog
05-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Trolls unite!

Yup, you 3 surely do!

chevynut
06-03-2016, 01:18 PM
New threads, same subject different titles going back to November 2015.

They're different threads, some about specific questions and some more general about project updates. This one was about valvetrain questions, so I think I'm on topic to post about anything I want to that's related to valvetrains. The other was to document my engine assembly. The only thing holding me up is the cam selection, which I wanted to learn more about instead of throwing a dart at a cam book. If I followed Markm's advice, I would have ended up with a BBC that ran like crap.

Besides, it's MY thread, and I can change the topic if I want to. I can start as many threads about specific questions as I want to. The first questions were specifically about spring locators and retainers. Your first dumbass reply here was about turbochargers. Every post of yours on this thread (and most others) is off-topic, so you earned the ADHD label that you deserve.

You don't start your own threads, you hijack threads that other start with off-topic posts. If you have questions to ask or want to change the subject, start your own goddam thread and keep mine on topic or don't post at all. Call me a "bully" if it makes you feel better like a poor little victim.

Good luck with your disorder...there's medication for that you know.

Rick_L
06-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Wife wouldn't let you pick on her on your vacation? Lots of anger feelings today.