PDA

View Full Version : Old 605 box out/cpp500 14:1 or borgenson 600 12.7:1 for 55 2 dr with straight axle?

My55
06-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Hi guys I've been away from this site for a while.(busy with other stuff). Trying to decide which box to go with. Old engine is out(283 with 4 speed), rebuilt LT1 with 4L60E auto going back in. Trying to fix sloppy sticking steering box issues at the same time. I have a converted 605 from classic Chevy days using OE box and 79 Malibu 605. Yes it achieved power steering but was always sloppy and sticking no matter what I adjusted. I guess there's no way to make better with a rebuild kit.? If so? Or replace with cpp500 14:1 or borgenson600 12.7:1? I want to tighten things up but don't know if 12.7:1 is too sensitive for a straight axle? Don't want to change lanes by bumping steering accidentally? Also concerned about clearance issues with headers? Would like to get nice set of chrome or stainless headers around $250 but want to make sure of clearance issues before ordering? Any help appreciated! ...Thanks in advance!:):D

chevynut
06-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Some of it depends on what steering arms you're using now. Shorter arms will increase the steering sensitivity.

My55
06-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Some of it depends on what steering arms you're using now. Shorter arms will increase the steering sensitivity.

The straight axle has a long drag link from pitman arm to pass side knuckle then a long total toe adjusting link from pass side to driver side. Wonder if 12.7:1 or 14:1 ratio box would be better?:):D

Rick_L
06-16-2016, 04:21 PM
CPP500 and Borgeson boxes are virtually the same size so clearance and fitment will be the same too.

Also the Borgeson box is variable ratio. Higher numeric in the center and lower toward the end of travel. The CPP box is constant ratio. The end result is there won't be much difference when driving straight ahead.

As said, the steering arms affect the end result. If your pitman arm is stock length, then the steering arm should be too.