PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air Generation IV Sure fit A/C Kit

jmccann630
06-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Hi guys, ive been thinking about adding A/C to my 57 and doing so with the Vintage Air Complete Generation IV sure fit kit. Has anyone installed this kit? Any problem? I hav a 283 with a mild cam, will the cam be a problem? Thanks!

chevynut
06-22-2016, 02:11 PM
The VA kits are pretty high quality and are the "standard" for A/C imo. You can choose either the 4-outlet version or the under-dash one. I went with the 4-outlets to fit my custom valence. I don't see what a cam has to do with A/C but maybe I'm missing something. ;)

WagonCrazy
06-23-2016, 07:56 AM
It may mean replacing a single belt harmonic balancer pulley (crank pulley) with a “dual belt pulley”, since you’re adding a compressor to be bolted onto the front of your engine. Not sure if that comes in the kit or not, but once you have this system installed and working, you’ll never go without AC again. The Vintage Air systems are a solid improvement.

jmccann630
06-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys...Hopefully i'll have a/c in my 57 by next summer!

markm
06-23-2016, 08:21 AM
The VA kits are pretty high quality and are the "standard" for A/C imo. You can choose either the 4-outlet version or the under-dash one. I went with the 4-outlets to fit my custom valence. I don't see what a cam has to do with A/C but maybe I'm missing something. ;)

Yes you are, a HP cam typically has low vacuum and rough idle quality. This was why on my 74 Z28 the second year AC was available on Z28s it has a solenoid that bumps idle speed when AC is turned on. Without it the relative smooth idle at 900 rpm with clutch in goes to hell. The 73/74 z28 had a high lift hydraulic L-82 Vette cam where earlier Z28s had a solid Duntov that would have never supported AC.

chevynut
06-23-2016, 08:29 AM
Yes you are, a HP cam typically has low vacuum and rough idle quality. This was why on my 74 Z28 the second year AC was available on Z28s it has a solenoid that bumps idle speed when AC is turned on. Without it the relative smooth idle at 900 rpm with clutch in goes to hell. The 73/74 z28 had a high lift hydraulic L-82 Vette cam where earlier Z28s had a solid Duntov that would have never supported AC.

Oh yeah, I forgot that happens when you use an antiquated carburetor instead of EFI where the IAC controls the idle speed.

markm
06-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot that happens when you use an antiquated carburetor instead of EFI where the IAC controls the idle speed.

Just what do you think the odds are the OP has that crap on a 283.

WagonCrazy
06-23-2016, 06:47 PM
I had a mild cam in the 350 I built for the 9 passenger, and when the AC is turned on, it does pull the rpms down a 100 or so...
But it was never a problem...I doubt he'll have a big issue with a 283.

Rick_L
06-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Doing an EFI conversion so that you can have a/c on a 283 is ridiculous!

Shame on you Chevynut by potentially misleading the OP.

markm
06-24-2016, 06:42 AM
I had a mild cam in the 350 I built for the 9 passenger, and when the AC is turned on, it does pull the rpms down a 100 or so...
But it was never a problem...I doubt he'll have a big issue with a 283.

You doubt, but you don't know, besides big difference between a 350 and 283 in torque, .480 is stroke is a lot.

WagonCrazy
06-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Lots of others have successfully navigated the issue of idle compensation when adding an air conditioning system. Here's a link to another forum where that is discussed in more detail. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-performance/445809-idle-compensation-air-conditioning.html

WagonCrazy
06-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Here's a couple more links for good reading on the subject:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-performance/337597-added-holley-fast-idle-solenoid-today.html

http://www.camaros.net/forums/28-heating-cooling/110273-vintage-air-gen-iv-question.html

chevynut
06-24-2016, 08:25 AM
Doing an EFI conversion so that you can have a/c on a 283 is ridiculous!

Shame on you Chevynut by potentially misleading the OP.

Nowhere did I say the OP should put EFI on their engine. Shame on your for trying to mislead the OP.

chevynut
06-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Just what do you think the odds are the OP has that crap on a 283.

I think the odds are pretty high that he has one of those toilet tank float gizmos on his 283.

big difference between a 350 and 283 in torque, .480 is stroke is a lot.

And it takes soooo much torque to turn an AC compressor at idle. lol.

chevynut
06-24-2016, 01:48 PM
The fact is, ANY engine without some sort of idle compensation such as an idle solenoid or other feature is going to decrease in idle speed when an A/C compressor kicks in. It doesn't matter if it's a 283, BBC or diesel. The cam doesn't have anything to do with it. Vaccuum isn't an issue at all.

Rick_L
06-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Cnut you can mess with the veterans here, but don't make statements that mislead the newbies.

These posts have possibly scared the hell out of the OP. And that's not called for, because you can usually put a VA system on a 57 283 and not have any problems at all.

mech393
07-16-2016, 08:36 AM
I have the gen four in my nomad with a 396 and a 750 double pumper, I had to bump my rpm an extra 150 rpm because the compressor made the engine struggle a bit but also I had to keep the rpm up so the alternator would supply the amperage to run the compressor and fans, the biggest problem I had and others that talked about air conditioner systems was running hot in traffic and not enough cooling, I ended up changing to a cross flow rad. system to solve my problem but you don't have to have a efi system to have air conditioning. as far as installation if your going to install it be sure what you want to put in your dash first like windshield wiper system, radio, ect. because once you put the evaporator and hosing in things get pretty tight. just my two cents.