PDA

View Full Version : Introducing slonzo69

slonzo69
07-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Hello TriFive Nation,
My name is Steve. I'm located in DeWitt, Michigan. I have a 1955 Chevy Belair with a 565 Big Block Chevy engine. I've run it at the drag strip for the past 7 years but recently decided to convert into a pro touring ride; yes, going LS. I would love to get more use and time in the car. I have big passion and desires but my knowledge base is at the novice level. I can do the basics and have made a lot of costly errors but I really enjoy getting my hands dirty. I just wanted to connect with other TriFiveChevy owners across the nation.

enigma57
07-19-2016, 03:26 AM
Welcome aboard, Steve! Look forward to reading your posts and hearing about your planned modifications.

Regarding swapping out your big block for an LS engine...... If your big block is in good enough shape to rebuild (meaning you don't have a rod through the block or some such thing)...... Why not rebuild it and make whatever changes might be needed to allow it to run on pump gas out on the road? If it was a max effort build strictly for track use on racing fuel, you could use pistons that would lower static compression ratio sufficiently to run what passes for pump gas now of days and select a cam with the correct intake valve closing event to optimize dynamic (running) compression along with a grind that is suited to your car and how it is set up.

I may wake up tomorrow to crosses burned in my yard from the LS guys...... But really, there is nothing magical about LS engines. They have their strong points and weak points just like any other engine. I helped Dan Miller and Gene Adams with their EMC engine from 2009 through 2011. It was based on a '56 Chrysler 354 hemi and we did very well running against the newer design engines such as the LS designs. In fact, we did well enough that EMC changed their rules in 2010 to outlaw just about everything that allowed old school engines to be competitive, even forcing us to cobble together some odd parts in order to change over to EFI. Again, we did well. That upset the apple cart because the big bucks sponsors for EMC are the companies that make bolt on parts for newer engines such as the LS type and they want those engines to win so as to sell more parts to those who run them.

Anyway...... Just something to consider. Even if detuned from race tune to a more street friendly configuration...... Big block Chevys are good engines for what it sounds like you are wanting to do and the money you save over changing to an LS engine could be better spent elsewhere. The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money as they say. And 565 cubic inches will get a 3,400 lb. car down the road pretty quick if set up right.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

JT56
07-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Welcome to the site

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
07-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Welcome. I'm a fellow LS addict.

markm
07-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Welcome from the LS free zone, home of numerous SBCs, some BBCs and even a couple SBFs.

chevynut
07-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Welcome again slonzo69. I have a crate 502BBC in my Nomad that I've been working on for years. If I was to do it over, I'd go with an LS engine, but a big one like an LS-7....and I would supercharge it. IMO torque is where it's at, and big engines and supercharged engines make more torque. But I love the looks of my 502 in the huge 56 engine bay. The LS engines seem to sort of "disappear" in them and SBCs look bit wimpy to me so they need something on top. All of them have their good points though.

567chevys
07-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the site Steve ,

show some pictures of 55

Thanks Sid