PDA

View Full Version : GM TPI / aftermarket ECM compatibility

Romax55
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Any TPI users out there using original GM ECM/PCM computerized powertrain management systems in their 55-57 cars ? Just to be different , this last 55 project had to be a mileage-maker for a coast-to-coast tour of some nasty Canadian roads next year . The old 55 4-dr has been waiting in a barn for this very project , one that will use up a ton of old car parts from yesterdays' project builds , and old racecars from the 70's . The engine is a +.030 bored '95 Astro V6 , (making it a 265 the hard way) , and it gets the 95 Astro ECM and TPI fuel system . The 4L60E trans was sold for what I had in the van , and the engine got a 68 tooth flywheel we had under the bench and married up to an M20 that needed a cluster . After cleaning up the van wiring harness , and readying it for the 55 , I'm wondering if there isn't an easier way to manage this fuel system ; I don't need the trans management section nor the A/C sensors , so I'll just hook up the VSS to the Muncie speedo cable, and wire up the engine TPI sensors ,a nd that should do it . I just can't help thinking there's an easier way to do this ; any thoughts ? Be safe....Bob.

chevynut
03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Bob, why can't you get a ECM from some other manual tranny car with the same engine? I don't know much about factory ECMs, but you could also get an aftermarket ECM that's programmable. TO me that would be the easiest route, but maybe not the cheapest. I'm using a Holley Commander 950.

Romax55
03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
I'll see what codes I get with this ECM and go from there ; I don't need any inputs from the Muncie other than speed from the VSS . I was considering making up my own VSS as it's just a sensor looking at a 40-toothed wheel , and could be mounted inside the trans or even outboard on the front yoke or even the pinion yoke . Once I prove this system , I'll experiment with different reluctors in different spots (maybe next year when we spring for a 5-speed). The programmable ECM would be the ideal item . Be safe....Bob.