PDA

View Full Version : Where all of the finished C4 conversion vehicles at? Not much feedback anywhere!

55 Rescue Dog
11-01-2016, 03:57 PM
It seems hard to believe, that with all of the thousands of vehicles with C4 suspensions, not just try-fives, that there is next to nothing for information on finished cars from actual owners on the road, with feedback as to how they are working out, and if everything works as planned, or what changes/adjustments were needed as far as spring rates, tires, or anything??? Weird, no one out there has much to say about it. Maybe they don't own a computer I guess.
I don't understand. There is lots of C4 Vette info out there, but then it is a dead end for info, for anything else on the road with the C4 suspension.

markm
11-01-2016, 04:07 PM
In Cnuts dreams, personally I have never seen one, a guy who moved to Arizona is rumored to be building one. I have seen a 90s Grand Am drag car with C4 stuff it did not work well but I don't blame the C4 stuff.

Maddog
11-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Probably parked them after just one drive. Have you ever driven a C4 Corvette, rough riding rattle trap.

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
11-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Newman's and Hotrodjims out of Luling Texas have raced a few pro-touring events including autocross and road course if that is the info you are looking for. Perhaps they could recommend what seems to work best.
Rocky

NickP
11-01-2016, 06:35 PM
It seems hard to believe, that with all of the thousands of vehicles with C4 suspensions, not just try-fives, that there is next to nothing for information on finished cars from actual owners on the road, with feedback as to how they are working out, and if everything works as planned, or what changes/adjustments were needed as far as spring rates, tires, or anything??? Weird, no one out there has much to say about it. Maybe they don't own a computer I guess.
I don't understand. There is lots of C4 Vette info out there, but then it is a dead end for info, for anything else on the road with the C4 suspension.

Uh, what's wrong with the multitudes of your frame builders customers?

Picked up a new c4 chassis for my 55 yesterday, and it looks great. Ready to assemble, using all the stock C4 suspension parts. Painted seamless frame with transmission cross member, welded rear cross member with a torque arm. Everything is finished very nice with all the mounts and fully boxed dog bone mounts. I got such a great deal on it, I can't even say, other than thousands of $. Just having them haul it 3/4 of the way here, only left my with a 4 hour drive to pick it up. Saved me enough time and money to easily justify buy the 22 gallon ready to bolt in Rick's tank, which I never considered before. Also got to see 4 different C4 conversion cars that where driven a long ways to the, Back to the 50's car show for the weekend. 55 wagon, 57 wagon, a really cool 30's something rat rod truck, and a 55 truck that had just traveled 2300 miles. All of them were LSX powered. Now I just have to finally get busy working on my car.

55 Rescue Dog
11-02-2016, 05:17 AM
Uh, what's wrong with the multitudes of your frame builders customers?
My point, nothing on those cars posted anywhere on the web either. Lot's of them around too, but nothing for from ANY builders finished cars, unless there is some double secret owners club website I can't find. Wasn't looking to track people down to call, just looking for them to share current information of their cars on the web.

Custer55
11-02-2016, 06:21 AM
Having to much fun driving mine to be on the computer much!!!!!!:cool:

Rick_L
11-02-2016, 06:31 AM
It may point to the fact that a lot of these conversions are garage queens, unfinished. And I think that's not because they are C4 conversions, but just that there's a lot of garage queens out there, of all descriptions.

chevynut
11-02-2016, 09:23 AM
I don't know why you keep asking this question RD. You apparently had the opportunity to drive one or more of these cars at local shows, or at least talk to the owners about their driving impressions. I know Rick has a couple of customers with completed cars because I've seen them in person here in CO and I'm sure he's driven some because he builds complete cars too, not just frames. Did you ask him what he thought about the cars and why he doesn't post his driving experiences on the internet?

You could finish yours up and answer it yourself. Or as I've suggested before, drive a C4 Vette. Why isn't yours done yet? :D

I have done 72 C4 projects counting the one (front clip with Shockwaves) that I'm shipping this week. Of all those customers, I know of only FOUR who have running cars. I've offered you their contact information, but you've declined. NONE of those guys posts much if anything on the internet that I'm aware of but I got private feedback from all of them and they love the way their cars drive and handle. I don't know how many of the remaining 60+ projects are complete as I've never heard anything from most of my past customers. Just a handful of my customers have ever posted here about their projects. At least a couple of my customers don't even have internet access which made it harder to communicate with them during the project.

I think a lot of guys get into these projects and soon realize they bit off more than they can chew. Not only because of the C4 conversion, which really doesn't add that much more work, but because of the sheer magnitude of all the work (and money) involved in completing a build. And the pickier one is, and the better they want the car to look, and the more mods they choose to make, the longer it takes. That's why there's so many unfinished projects out there, including mine. I've made dozens of mods and built a lot of custom parts for my car and have taken it to a level that I didn't originally intend to take it, so it's taken a lot longer than expected but it's getting closer to completion every day ;).

One of my customers with the blue frame on my website finished the chassis, engine, and even had the body painted, on the chassis, and ready to assemble. He was a little ahead of where I am now and he decided he just didn't have the patience to finish the car. He ended up selling it to a guy in CA and I have no idea of the status of that project now.

I know dozens of car guys who don't post on any internet forums. Even the two Tri5 forums with supposedly tens of thousands of members have only a small portion of total tri5 owners, imo. I know lots of tri5 owners who never post on these forums.

As to why the "thousands" of C4 conversion owners don't post more, I don't know. It's probably a combination of all the above. Some guys never finish them. Some guys, when they finish a car, just don't post much anymore. What I can tell you is I've never read where anyone said they regretted doing the C4 conversion.

And there's a lot more out there if you dig:

"I can write this due to experiencing it FIRST HAND. I have a customer with a 1963 SWC resto-mod LS-7 ...and that car is set up with a modified frame and has the 1984-1996 suspension parts on it....and I can tell you this.

I could blind fold you...put you in the passenger seat and you can not touch anything,,,,just sit there....fill up the gas tank...take it for a drive...and we would run out of gas BEFORE you guessed what you were riding in. You would NEVER guess due to how smooth and comfortable the ride and performance is. Literally...that car...you do not want to get out of the driver seat due to being such a JOY to drive. I have been in some really nice steel coil spring and steel leaf spring Corvettes before...but they can not hold a candle to that 1963. So I guess it is all in what a person wants. DUB "

"Everyone wants that don't they...? I love my C1 with a C4 Chassis "

"Do the C4 stuff. You won't regret it."

"By far the best mod/upgrade that Ive done to the vette. Do the c-4 swap! It's worth it!"

Maddog
11-02-2016, 04:07 PM
C4 = waste of time and MONEY

Bolt on a sway bar, disc brakes and enjoy your car driving it not looking at it in your garage for 20 years, LOL:p

markm
11-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Even I might add upper control arms and PS. Bottom line My arthritis does not like lowered cars or lifted monster trucks any more than I do. Also have to agree on garage queens that never show at track or anywhere else.

chevynut
11-02-2016, 07:08 PM
IMO a "garage queen" is better than a rat rod or a cobbled together "restoration". Anyone can put a car together by rattle-can "restoring" stock parts and bolting them back on. Even the kits out there are no challenge to install and everyone has the same stuff. None of that is interesting.

Maddog
11-02-2016, 07:12 PM
IMO a "garage queen" is better than a rat rod or a cobbled together "restoration". Anyone can put a car together by rattle-can "restoring" stock parts and bolting them back on. Even the kits out there are no challenge to install and everyone has the same stuff. None of that is interesting.

So says the King of garage Queens

markm
11-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Actually the idea of road racing a 55-57 is all wrong I feel much more at home with the concept in one of my Camaros or Corvette. To much interior room I feel like I am in a truck. But I am out driving my stuff while others are polishing their parts.

chevynut
11-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Actually I think the idea of drag racing a 55-57 is all wrong because I think the Camaros or Corvettes are a lot better on the dragstrip. But I'm in the shop having a good time building a modern high end car to my liking while others are driving their cobbled together rattle-canned drivers with obsolete 60's parts. :D LMAO! :D

Custer55
11-04-2016, 06:35 AM
C4 = waste of time and MONEY

Bolt on a sway bar, disc brakes and enjoy your car driving it not looking at it in your garage for 20 years, LOL:p

I don't think I wasted my time or money!! My car was apart for 8 months or so, and most of that was over the winter when I don't drive it up here anyway. I could have spent as much or more on bolt-on parts anyway. I would do it again it a heartbeat. I have put more miles on my 55 this summer because it's a lot more fun to drive. My only regret is that it's almost time to put it away for the winter already.
Brian

markm
11-04-2016, 06:40 AM
Actually I think the idea of drag racing a 55-57 is all wrong because I think the Camaros or Corvettes are a lot better on the dragstrip. But I'm in the shop having a good time building a modern high end car to my liking while others are driving their cobbled together rattle-canned drivers with obsolete 60's parts. :D LMAO! :D

Corvettes really, now look who is an authority on drag racing.

Maddog
11-04-2016, 07:55 AM
I don't think I wasted my time or money!! My car was apart for 8 months or so, and most of that was over the winter when I don't drive it up here anyway. I could have spent as much or more on bolt-on parts anyway. I would do it again it a heartbeat. I have put more miles on my 55 this summer because it's a lot more fun to drive. My only regret is that it's almost time to put it away for the winter already.
Brian

IF you did your car with C4 in 8 months then you are definitely the exception and you now have the time to enjoy it. It's those fools that work on a car for 10, 20 years that don't have a clue as to enjoyment, well if their enjoyment is spending years working in a garage then more power to them.

Maddog
11-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Corvettes really, now look who is an authority on drag racing.

He's the authority on EVERYTHING, don't you know that by now?

chevynut
11-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Unlike some here who probably couldn't build a custom bracket if they needed to, I actually enjoy the build no matter how long it takes me. Some guys here are apparently too embarrassed to even show pictures of their cars. We've seen a 20-foot picture of one of them, but nothing showing the suspension, interior, or engine which is where the detail really shows. One guy has never even posted one stinking picture that I'm aware of, and I seriously doubt he even owns a tri5.

I'd much rather do a nice build that drive a cobbled-together piece of crap just so I can say I have a driver. :D Besides, I have a tri5 I could drive if I really wanted to.

NickP
11-04-2016, 09:12 AM
He's the authority on EVERYTHING, don't you know that by now?

Here we go again - Off we go into the wild blue yonder!

chevynut
11-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Actually the idea of road racing a 55-57 is all wrong..... To much interior room I feel like I am in a truck.

You must have one of those "big" tri5s :D. A tri5 overall width measures only 2" wider than my wife's 2008 Malibu did which is a mid-size car. The overall exterior roof height on my Nomad is about the same as is the weight.

Yours probably feels like a truck because it sits so high and rolls like one so you slide around on the bench seat trying to keep your feet on the pedals. :D

chevynut
11-04-2016, 09:26 AM

Nick, just put that moron on ignore like I did 3 years ago. I don't see what he posts except when someone quotes it. He's too ignorant to debate anything technical when someone posts facts or opinions. 99% of his posts are political or attacks on someone and I don't even believe he owns a tri5....he's just lonely. Screw him....he's irrelevant. :p

chevynut
11-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Brian

Maddog is too ignorant to understand anything about a C4 suspension or why someone would use one. I don't believe he even owns a tri5 and rarely even talks about cars here. He's not worth the time of day.

Maddog
11-04-2016, 09:57 AM

cnut Jr. speaks up

Maddog
11-04-2016, 09:58 AM
You must have one of those "big" tri5s :D. A tri5 overall width measures only 2" wider than my wife's 2008 Malibu did which is a mid-size car. The overall exterior roof height on my Nomad is about the same as is the weight.

Yours probably feels like a truck because it sits so high and rolls like one so you slide around on the bench seat trying to keep your feet on the pedals. :D

Don't argue with Mr know it all, you can't win Mark.

chevynut
11-04-2016, 11:03 AM
It's obvious that Maddogtroll is nothing but a troll and troublemaker. He has 1300 posts in 4 years mostly about useless crap unrelated to cars, and he can't even post a pic of the tri5 he claims he owns.....because he doesn't own one or is embarrassed by it because it's a POS. :D

All he does is attack and bash people and their projects. Notice he doesn't even post his location and hides everything about himself that he can? Sure characteristics of a troll. He must live a miserable life in his mom's basement. :D:p

55 Rescue Dog
11-04-2016, 12:46 PM
I'm bet someone has a lot more than 1300 useless posts.

Maddog
11-04-2016, 01:14 PM

Yes, the elitist cnutroll thinks he knows every thing, must be true cause he says so:DLOL:D
Dumbshit cnutroll says to "debate" he doesn't have a clue what debate means, it's his way or the highway. He thinks it means for him to argue with anyone else that has a different opinion and then call them rude names. One thing cnutroll is really good at-that's to copy and paste crap he finds on the internet, can't come up with an original idea that makes sense.
Has been building his one and only car in his lifetime (for 20 some years) but he knows it all.
Typical immigrant white supremist.

chevynut
11-04-2016, 02:12 PM

That would probably be you, constantly bringing up inane BS that you can't explain. When proven wrong you just shut up. :D

But at least you can show pics of stuff you bolted together. :p

55 Rescue Dog
11-04-2016, 03:30 PM
That would probably be you, constantly bringing up inane BS that you can't explain. When proven wrong you just shut up. :D

But at least you can show pics of stuff you bolted together. :p
Ding...ding...ding. We have a WINNER! At least this site is somewhat entertaining.

Maddog
11-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Entertaining was watching cnutroll get his ass handed to him on a platter by Otis, now that was funny. You know what, Otis was right cnutroll will never drive his garage queen.

Olderthandirt
11-04-2016, 06:19 PM
I guess I am one of those fools with a garage queen. Bought my Nomad in 1986, test drove & my friend drove it home for me, His borrowed repair plate. I work on when I have time & money. It is a fun hobby that I don't have to drive to enjoy. Some day I hope to drive it. Two year ago decided on c4 suspension. I don't believe doing it will set be back in time to complete it. But if it does I think I will still be ahead with the end result. And it that makes me a fool ore whatever else so be it.

Maddog
11-04-2016, 09:12 PM

Is that a Grand National? Hopefully 86 or 87
Maybe a T type, lens aren't blacked out.

chevynut
11-05-2016, 08:05 AM
I guess I am one of those fools with a garage queen. Bought my Nomad in 1986, test drove & my friend drove it home for me, His borrowed repair plate. I work on when I have time & money. It is a fun hobby that I don't have to drive to enjoy. Some day I hope to drive it. Two year ago decided on c4 suspension. I don't believe doing it will set be back in time to complete it. But if it does I think I will still be ahead with the end result. And it that makes me a fool ore whatever else so be it.

OTD, I agree with you. Some guys like the "instant gratification" of buying a completed car or cobbling one together quickly so they can drive it and they don't understand guys like us who love to build stuff and try new, different things or build a higher quality car. I bought my car in 73 and had a couple of false starts on it then it went into storage in the early 80's for over 20 years. I have a list of repairs, modifications, new parts and upgrades that I've done to my car and it's 2 pages long in WORD. And the car is moving toward completion steadily. I've seen cars built in shops that sometimes take several years with a team of guys working on it almost full time. Some of the guys here complaining about how long it's taking some of us to build a car couldn't fab a simple throttle bracket or replace a rocker panel, much less build custom inner fenders or custom hood hinges. They can bolt on simple parts and that's about it. And they're apparently too embarrassed to show their car to anyone. :D

markm
11-05-2016, 08:12 AM
You only have one year of ownership on me and it took me 28 years to be on the road. Difference is I had started and finished other cars, many I still own, in that time and was not trash talking those with completed cars.

Olderthandirt
11-05-2016, 04:18 PM
No it is what I call a poor mans Grand National. It's an 84 GN, built in 83 with leather interior & T-tops.

Olderthandirt
11-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Cnut Back in the 80 the only had the four floor pans. The rest had to be made up & with limited equipment did not have all the original bends & rolls. Now with the complete floor sections including under rear seat. I started over & replaced the hole floor with the two half sections. A set back but to me it will better in the end. To me it not how long a project will take, I just did it to please myself. I have a friend with a 33 Oldsmobile he purchased in 1976. He just this year started sending parts out for chroming. He has never driven the car.

Maddog
11-05-2016, 05:21 PM
No it is what I call a poor mans Grand National. It's an 84 GN, built in 83 with leather interior & T-tops.

I hear you, 86 and 87 are the only years for me. Had an 86.

56-210Sedan
11-06-2016, 08:07 AM
I know of 2 complete c4 trifive conversions in my area that have been driven, know both of them and talking with both of them they loved the c4 conversions. Both conversions were done on Nomads and both were 56 Nomads one was done locally in my area Cheney WA which is not far outside of Spokane WA, The other 56 Nomad was a Newman Chassis.

the gentlemen with the 56 that was locally built tragically is no longer with us as he passed on from cancer, RIP Larry. The other Nomad recently sold on Barrett Jackson for big bucks, of course LOL.

I do know of one more c4 chassis that is not running locally but the person with it has not given up on using it, he just does not have funds to make it happen at this time in his life.:cool:

This is a picture of the car that has the Newman Chassis http://www.saccc567.com/Shows/2011/SACCC_Show/100_6777.jpg

Here is a picture of the car built locally https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddio/6192004179/in/photostream/ here is another shot of the Nomad at our car show http://www.saccc567.com/Shows/2011/SACCC_Show/100_6762.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddio/6192004179/in/photostream/)