PDA

View Full Version : Straight Scoop on Disc Brakes

markm
11-07-2016, 06:33 AM
Here is what a running driving car actually looks like with a 225/70/15 tire using 1970 Chevelle style rotors. The example previously posted on here of the Nomad did not accurately depict things. Its purpose was to try and sell chassis conversions. I am selling nothing but the truth.

Maddog
11-07-2016, 07:05 AM
Here is what a running driving car actually looks like with a 225/70/15 tire using 1970 Chevelle style rotors. The example previously posted on here of the Nomad did not accurately depict things. Its purpose was to try and sell chassis conversions. I am selling nothing but the truth.

I would guess that's a 15x6 wheel. It's the fools that try to use an 8" wide wheel that have problems

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
11-07-2016, 07:06 AM
That looks great Mark you need a set of these to top it off.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1172.png

markm
11-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Cool. I have a set of 225/70/15 Goodyear Eagles on stock rallys with dog dish 56 hubcaps I used to run.

Rustaddict
11-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Is that a 6" wheel or a 7" ?

11-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Cool. I have a set of 225/70/15 Goodyear Eagles on stock rallys with dog dish 56 hubcaps I used to run.

I like that look also. I have been torn between the 5 spoke American or the new billet rally's with dog dish caps for a more factory look. Might even run white walls with that setup..

markm
11-07-2016, 07:47 AM
My current rallys and these are both 15x6. Same wheels on front of my 55 with 215/70/15 with 15x8.5 on rear.

NickP
11-07-2016, 08:08 AM

Not certain of what you want to convey but a straight on image like this offers no real definition. A before and after of the tire relative to fender edge may give more insight as to the effected change on can expect. Also, the back spacing on the wheel needs to be published. I'm not criticizing your effort so please take no offense. I understand the intended objective but the method of documenting may need consideration.

A front shot with either a string/plumb bob or other reference may be helpful.

chevynut
11-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Oh lookie marks found a camera!! Notice you neglect to show what it's like from the front. How deceitful. You can't see the issue from the side. The wheel mounting surface is 61.25" wide with those 50 year old Chevelle rotors. The outside of the tires is over 70 inches wide with zero offset wheels and 225 tires which is about the same as the inside of the fender lips. It looks stupid like that imo. If the car didn't sit sky high the tires would rub the fenders. If the car is dropped and the suspension compresses to where to fender is below the top of the tire it will rub. That's what I said in the prior thread where you obviously got butt hurt. I'd Throw away that 50 year old garbage that doesn't fit right and get a proper disc brake kit that keeps the tires in the fenderwells. Imo.

Wheel size doesn't matter, only tire size and wheel offset. Notice he also neglects to post wheel offset..... Probably doesn't know. Typical. lol!

My purpose in pointing this out was to help the previous poster from making a mistake using those rotors when there's better ones available. That's what I said before. I never tried to sell him anything. I sell c4 stuff to guys who want high performance upgrades not 60 year old junk.

markm
11-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Wheel size doesn't matter, only tire size and wheel offset. Notice he also neglects to post wheel offset..... Probably doesn't know. Typical. lol!

Garden variety 3.66 nothing special.

What's funny is all the nice comments I get when I dive it. Something you know nothing about.

chevynut
11-07-2016, 09:30 AM
The tires I showed on my nomad with the Chevelle rotors were shown with a 3 inch suspension drop from stock which is what a lot of guys do (2" dropped spindles and 1" lowering springs) which is also about what you get with the stock suspension compressed close to the a-arm bumper. If you look closely you can see the all-thread used to pull it down to that ride height which I was trying to simulate.

That CAN happen with a stock suspension too. Try doing that and turning with those disc brakes and the tires will rub. The picture from the front shows the tire position very clearly. If you set the car up sky high in front and the fender never drops below the top of the tires on turns those misfit rotors will work fine.

But most guys nowadays who got past the 60s drop their cars at least 2" in front. Not sure why anyone would use that junk when there are much better options available.

chevynut
11-07-2016, 09:37 AM
What the hell is a "garden variety 3.66"? Is that some kind of cabbage or tomato? Lmao!

I get lots of nice comments on my soon to be finished nomad that's a high quality build, something you know nothing about.

chevynut
11-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Not certain of what you want to convey ..

He's trying to convey a "half-truth" in showing the tire from the side with a stock or higher than stock suspension height (he supposedly has a bbc that we've never seen so they're not stock front springs) and with the car standing still with the wheels pointed straight ahead. For some reason he thinks guys should use those ill-fitting Chevelle rotors that we know move each tire outboard 7/8" into the line of the fender lip just because they work on his jacked up car.

Maddog
11-07-2016, 10:29 AM
cnutroll is building his first car (20+years) and is an expert in every thing, what a fool. ROTFLMAO:D:p:D

55 Rescue Dog
11-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Somebody is not trying to sell anybody anything, and seemed have missed the day in salesmanship class when they discussed the subject of, customer courtesy, and
"The customer might be right", or something like that.

55 Rescue Dog
11-07-2016, 02:50 PM
IMO try-fives look so much better just slightly lowered, than one with the tire tucked up above the fender opening anyway. No car looks better that way. As a matter of fact, I cannot think of any great looking performance production cars, of any year, with the tires up in the fender opening, that look good. Most aftermarket brake kits move the wheel outboard 7/8 of an inch, which can actually enhance cornering with a wider track. Heck on my Camaro I'm running 15 x 10's 275/60-15 tires, with a 3 3/4 inch backspace, widening the track around 4 inches, or more. Handles pretty good believe it or not, even with a huge scrub radius. I've raised my car another inch, because you cannot always have too much compression travel in your suspension. When you bottom out your spring rates go through the roof. Even the bad a$$ NASCARS have a wide track with zero inches of ground clearance, but the wheels are not tucked up in the fenders.
No engineering, just Hot Rodding.

markm
11-07-2016, 04:59 PM

He's trying to convey a "half-truth" in showing the tire from the side with a stock or higher than stock suspension height (he supposedly has a bbc that we've never seen so they're not stock front springs) and with the car standing still with the wheels pointed straight ahead. For some reason he thinks guys should use those ill-fitting Chevelle rotors that we know move each tire outboard 7/8" into the line of the fender lip just because they work on his jacked up car.

Like usual your arrogance and big mouth are in overdrive. My 56 has never had BBC, furthermore I have never said it does, that would ne my 55. Those so called lifted springs came out of a low mileage 1957 4 door 210 in 1975. I personally do not give a crap what you run or anyone else but that picture you posted was misleading as hell, Now after being called out you admit the car was lowered 3 inches.

chevynut
11-07-2016, 05:48 PM
You just can't admit that there are much better disc brake options that don't move the wheels out so the tire rubs the fender. Most guys lower their cars so they handle better you don't understand that lowered 3" is the same as compressing the suspension 3". I guess that simple fact confuses you. A poster should get the full picture instead of a biased one like you gave. By the way, why don't you post the pic from the front? Lol!! The tire's almost under the fender lip that's why!!

chevynut
11-07-2016, 06:26 PM
IMO try-fives look so much better just slightly lowered, than one with the tire tucked up above the fender opening anyway.

Your opinion has nothing to do with it. I just posted the facts about Chevelle rotors. You cut the fenders on your "Camaro" (if you can still call it one). You expect guys to do that on a tri5 too? Most guys like lowered cars and neither of you can understand that the tire's go up in the fenderwells when the suspension bottoms out. Seems like a simple concept to me.

Most aftermarket brake kits move the wheel outboard 7/8 of an inch,

Again you prove how little you know about the subject.

which can actually enhance cornering with a wider track.

that's pretty hilarious. So you're going to "enhance cornering " with a CG high enough to clear the tire's? Lol!!!

Heck on my Camaro I'm running 15 x 10's 275/60-15 tires, with a 3 3/4 inch backspace, widening the track around 4 inches, or more.

Heck, and you hacked the fenders too. Why did you do that?

chevynut
11-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Somebody is not trying to sell anybody anything, and seemed have missed the day in salesmanship class when they discussed the subject of, customer courtesy, and
"The customer might be right", or something like that.

Who's the customer? Certainly not markm. No "Customer" is involved here and I didn't waste my time in any salesmanship class. I have a steady stream of customers, as much as I want since I'm retired and work as much or as little as I want. In fact at this time I'm booked through at least January maybe further. I simply tell the truth and not half the truth and guys appreciate that.

By the way how many years of college does it take to become a tire changer in Iowa? And how many years of experience before you can pretend to be an engineer?

chevynut
11-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Markm while you're taking the tire pics from the front why don't you show us a picture of your front tires with your steering turned to full lock and your suspension bottomed out or at least compressed 3". That can happen while driving you know. Just turn up a steep driveway or other bump at full lock.

The the fact is lots of guys have rubbing problems with an overall tire width of around 68" or more. And you think 70" is okay? Not!! Almost nobody uses Chevelle brake rotors anymore. There are much better parts available.

Rick_L
11-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Between mark, cnut, and the canines, all have behaved badly here and have presented no new information, or even new perspective. The attitude is pretty disgusting.

11-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Mark apparently this guy built a high end show car like CNUT and must have used his famous tire calculator that says you got to have basically an 1-1/2 of clearance between the tire and fender lip or you may rub. This is the result you get. A high end car that looks like crap......
http://www.amcarguide.com/wp-content/gallery/ls9-nomad/ls9-powered-1955-nomad-01.jpg

markm
11-08-2016, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=rockytopper;35668]Mark apparently this guy built a high end show car like CNUT and must have used his famous tire calculator that says you got to have basically an 1-1/2 of clearance between the tire and fender lip or you may rub. This is the result you get. A high end car that looks like crap......
http://www.amcarguide.com/wp-content/gallery/ls9-nomad/ls9-powered-1955-nomad-01.jpg[/QUOT

Well he does get points for completion, but You are correct about look.

55 Rescue Dog
11-08-2016, 03:30 PM
It would look pretty bad ass, if it had the same rear tires on the front. The ones that turn and stop the car. It takes a lot of rear weight bias to take advantage of huge staggered sizes, except drag cars. Otherwise the front gives up first. Which is safe, but never fun. Although on my car that loosely resembles a dirt track Camaro, without a plan, using what I had, the front track is
like 1 1/2 inches wider than the rear. I'm running close to the same set-up by accident, they ran on the dirt cars back in the day, except they were set up to go straight, turn left, and very fast on dirt. There were a lot of dirt roads in 55.

markm
11-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Almost nobody uses Chevelle brake rotors anymore

Anyone ever wonder where Cnut gets his statistics, he is always saying things like this without citing a source.

Maddog
11-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Between mark, cnut, and the canines, all have behaved badly here and have presented no new information, or even new perspective. The attitude is pretty disgusting.

You're correct, it is very disgusting reading the crap cnutroll says about others

KNUB1945
02-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Which rotors would be better than the Chevelle ones?

hutchenc
02-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Man...you guys are brutal over here.

I'll tell my experience since I've had a few different front brakes on my '56.

I first had Heidt's 2" drop spindles with metric brakes and 10.5" rotors. Those were frickin' useless...almost ran into my garage door with them on once. Tire clearance was fine and I can't honestly remember, but I think I was running 15x8 Rallye wheels with 235/60/15 tires. It was fine on clearance inside and out. Those brakes were worthless. Pretty sure this is a pic of the car like that:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4107/5085640428_8568eda419_b.jpg

I swapped on a set of 2" drop CPP spindles with the '88-92 Camaro 1LE rotors (11.8" x 1") and aluminum D52 calipers. These were really good brakes actually...I shoulda kept them on there but I got upgraditis and went to Wilwoods (see below). I *think* they moved the wheels out 5/8" per side? I had both 15x8's on it and then 17x8's with 245/45/17 tires (wheels were a 0 offset I believe). Here's a picture of that set-up on my car (the clearance to the fender was close, but I don't have any measurements):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8098/8502329808_aeca7fa8c8_b.jpg

Then I went back to my Heidt's drop spindles along with a set of 12.2" Wilwoods with the aluminum hubs. These pushed the mounting surface out 15/16" per side I believe. So, what I did is found some Bullit Mustang wheels with a +30mm offset to deal with the wider WMS. The wheels were 17x8 (+30mm offset) with 245/45/17 tires. It worked out pretty good, but I did get some interference with the inside wheel lip and my sway bar at full wheel lock...I think a small spacer woulda helped. Honestly, the Camaro 1LE brakes were better than the Wilwoods.

Here's a picture of that (this was when it was slammed...the front lower control arms were sitting on the bump stops...I had to raise from there for obvious reasons):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5343/9065372210_e835a63d13_b.jpg

I'm not done with my C4 swap that Cnut did for me, but I'm planning on running 17x9 Camaro SS 10 spoke wheels up front or C5 ZO6 17x8.5 ones...haven't decided yet.

chevynut
02-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Which rotors would be better than the Chevelle ones?

There's a lot better disc brake kits available that don't push the wheels out 7/8" per side like the Chevelle brakes do. What exactly are you wanting to do? If you're going to spend the money on a kit, get one with zero or close to zero offset. The caliper bracket has to match the rotor so you can't just buy any bracket or any rotor.

chevynut
03-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Want the "straight scoop"? Here's a car with the old-school Chevelle disc brakes on stock spindles.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170216

Notice how far out the tires are relative to the fender opening. If it was lowered much at all, or if the suspension compressed on a tight turn, I'm pretty darn sure the tire would rub the fender. I've dealt with these tire questions for years on Trifive and lots of guys say they have rubbing problems if the tires are much over 67.5" outside to outside. That's why I developed the tire calculator that lots of guys use. And I still think this looks bad even with only 205 tires in front and worse if they're bigger. Notice markm has never provided frontal pics of his car? And he says my pics are "wrong"? lol.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/longbranch/55%20Chev_zpsbvlha7db.jpg

Rocky, why don't you tell us how much room you need between the tire and fender when pointed straight, since you seem to know so much about it? :D That pic you posted is the other extreme, with the tires too far inboard and way too small, imo.

03-04-2017, 02:57 PM
I say that looks perfect to me nut I really don't under stand your beef with it.

55 Rescue Dog
03-04-2017, 04:00 PM
I say that looks perfect to me nut I really don't under stand your beef with it.
I agree, regardless of tire/wheel size, this is the perfect height and stance for a 55. Looks totally natural, as they should. Not too high, not too low, but functional.

chevynut
03-04-2017, 04:27 PM
The tires stick way too far out toward the fender. I think it looks like shit, and that's my opinion....yours may differ. They look further out than the rear tires. The real issue is that if you dropped that car or if the suspension compressed significantly in a turn, the tire would rub the fender. I don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand. It might not rub with normal easy driving.

As far as stance, most guys like their cars lowered....I've made it clear in this thread and others that IF THE CAR IS LOWERED the tires are more likely to rub and the Chevelle rotors/calipers are a bad choice for disc brakes for that reason, unless you offset the wheels to compensate. That car has stock spindles on it and I think it would look better dropped. I think most guys wanting a more modern car stance would agree. Obviously those who are stuck on the 60's look think it's cool up near stock height. They sell a lot of 2" dropped spindles and 1" dropped springs...that should tell you something. I just think it's irresponsible to suggest someone use the Chevelle setup as if there's no problems with it when there are much better choices.

And Rocky, since you think you know so much about wheel fitment and calculators, what's the outside tire width on that Nomad you posted? What leads you to believe my recommendation would lead to what that guy has on his car? I'm betting it's under what I recommend and the front tire choice is bad imo.

I put the wheel and tire spreadsheet together years ago to help myself and others with their tire fitment. There were hundreds of guys asking about it and the spreadsheet has been used successfully by probably thousands of guys. That's one of my contributions to the hobby...what have YOU contributed? Hell, you even had to restrict your steering travel to keep your tires from rubbing. :p

Here' my Nomad with the tires about as far out as I recommend....they're a little over 67.5" wide and they'd be close to the limit with a stock suspension on a car dropped that much. If they were out much further they would rub the fender. I checked the clearances at full suspension travel at full lock. I don't EVER want the tire to touch the fender, so I set it up so it can't. Of course, some guys just start hacking sheetmetal when it interferes. :D

55 Rescue Dog
03-04-2017, 04:50 PM
The tires stick way too far out toward the fender. I think it looks like shit, and that's my opinion....yours may differ. They look further out than the rear tires. The real issue is that if you dropped that car or if the suspension compressed significantly in a turn, the tire would rub the fender. I don't know why that's so hard for you guys to understand. It might not rub with normal easy driving.

As far as stance, most guys like their cars lowered....I've made it clear in this thread and others that IF THE CAR IS LOWERED the tires are more likely to rub and the Chevelle rotors/calipers are a bad choice for disc brakes for that reason, unless you offset the wheels to compensate. That car has stock spindles on it and I think it would look better dropped. I think most guys wanting a more modern car stance would agree. Obviously those who are stuck on the 60's look think it's cool up near stock height. They sell a lot of 2" dropped spindles and 1" dropped springs...that should tell you something. I just think it's irresponsible to suggest someone use the Chevelle setup as if there's no problems with it when there are much better choices.

And Rocky, since you think you know so much about wheel fitment and calculators, what's the outside tire width on that Nomad you posted? What leads you to believe my recommendation would lead to what that guy has on his car? I'm betting it's under what I recommend and the front tire choice is bad imo.

I put the wheel and tire spreadsheet together years ago to help myself and others with their tire fitment. There were hundreds of guys asking about it and the spreadsheet has been used successfully by probably thousands of guys. That's one of my contributions to the hobby...what have YOU contributed? Hell, you even had to restrict your steering travel to keep your tires from rubbing. :p

Here' my Nomad with the tires about as far out as I recommend....they're a little over 67.5" wide and they'd be close to the limit with a stock suspension on a car dropped that much. If they were out much further they would rub the fender. I checked the clearances at full suspension travel at full lock. I don't EVER want the tire to touch the fender, so I set it up so it can't. Of course, some guys just start hacking sheetmetal when it interferes. :D

Well, that even looks like shit set inboard, and too low.

chevynut
03-04-2017, 04:59 PM
RD, it's obvious you don't have a clue about tire fitment or much of anything else and your opinion is worth nothing to me. You don't even know how much suspension drop your C4 setup has :D...mine is 3", similar to what a lot of guys do with dropped spindles and cut springs. The rear is dropped 2", just like a lot of guys do with springs or blocks. A C4 setup set at near stock height like yours defeats much of the purpose of the conversion.

My tires are set just inboard of where they would rub. I did a lot of fitting and measuring to get things right. You have two choices with a car with a stance like mine if you don't like the tires inboard so much. One, you can raise the car and use less wheel offset, but the tires could still rub if the suspension compresses a lot. Two, you can hack the fenderwells out. Looking at your POS "Camaro" I can see you'd prefer the latter. :D

And yes, I think my 295/35-18 rear tires are too far inboard. That's from using a C5 ZO6 wheel on a narrowed (to stock tri5 width) rearend. I plan to address that with new custom wheels in the future and maybe go larger since I can fit a 345 tire.

Here's another example of a car that probably has Chevelle rotors on it. What do you think would happen if you tried to drop it, and/or turned sharply into a steep driveway or over some obstacle?

http://www.trifivechevys.com/dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=161&gal=gallery&type=full

http://www.trifivechevys.com/dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=83&gal=gallery&type=full

Here's a couple with the correct tire fitment, and are pretty close to what I have. You don't have squat, so who are you to talk anyhow? LOL! I can't wait to see what you come up with.....if anything. Maybe your little bogus torch will work for cutting the wheelwells out so the tires "fit" like they do on your so-called "Camaro" hack job. :D

http://www.trifivechevys.com/dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=45&gal=gallery&type=full

http://www.trifivechevys.com/dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=49&gal=gallery&type=full

http://www.trifivechevys.com/dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=52&gal=gallery&type=full

chevynut
03-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Here's some more info for you to chew on, RD....

Stock Tri5 track width = 58.0"......outside stock tires 66.46".

Stock Tri5 with zero offset wheels and 225 tires track width = 59.125"....outside tires 67.97"

C4 with 50mm offset wheels and 245 tires track width = 58.06"...... outside tires 67.66".

Some guys have problems with a dropped car with stock suspension, zero offset wheels, and 225 tires. Most go with a slight positive offset, especially with disc brakes. The point is, mine isn't unlike a stock tri5 or what most guys do to their cars. But it's clear you don't know anything about that. :D

55 Rescue Dog
03-05-2017, 07:30 AM
I guess I'll be making good use of that torch, because I will try and make the car fit the tires I want to run, NOT make the tires fit the car. I don't think you will even find a 245/345 wide tire combination in any wheel diameter, which would be more pro-street, than pro-touring. For one a 245/45-17 is the same as what is on the much lighter C5 front which is way too short, and small for a tri5. I don't see how it would be possible to get a fast, neutral handling car running a "mid-engine" tire stagger. It's not a Ferrari. It will plow like a John Deere tractor in the corners. These cars need a big sticky front tire in order too get higher cornering speeds, and the rears need to match. The C4 is much smaller,lighter, and it ran matching 255 wide tire front and rear. I mounted the tires on my boss's 05 Ferrari Superamerica which ran a 255/35-19 front, and 305/30-19 rears. Although I would like to go bigger, I'm going to try and make 255/45-18's fit front and rear, which shouldn't be too much hacking with the torch.

WagonWonder
03-05-2017, 11:44 AM
My, my. You two are a hoot. Opinions..................................oh, right I remember, something about everyone has one. You two fight like an old divorced couple.

55 Rescue Dog
03-05-2017, 03:11 PM
My, my. You two are a hoot. Opinions..................................oh, right I remember, something about everyone has one. You two fight like an old divorced couple.
Actually it's not a fight. It's the definition of the word "discussion" which is what forums are about, which makes them interesting, and thought provoking learning experiences, without name calling of course, or in this case, not just taking everything CN says as gospel, but looking at alternative ideas that might be better.

55 Rescue Dog
03-05-2017, 03:45 PM
There's a lot better disc brake kits available that don't push the wheels out 7/8" per side like the Chevelle brakes do. What exactly are you wanting to do? If you're going to spend the money on a kit, get one with zero or close to zero offset. The caliper bracket has to match the rotor so you can't just buy any bracket or any rotor.
Going back to near where this thread started, I'm still wondering where the link is to all of these better zero offset disc brake kits? A +22mm offset wheel is all it would take, if needed to correct for the Chevelle set up.

markm
03-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Want the "straight scoop"? Here's a car with the old-school Chevelle disc brakes on stock spindles.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170216

Notice how far out the tires are relative to the fender opening. If it was lowered much at all, or if the suspension compressed on a tight turn, I'm pretty darn sure the tire would rub the fender. I've dealt with these tire questions for years on Trifive and lots of guys say they have rubbing problems if the tires are much over 67.5" outside to outside. That's why I developed the tire calculator that lots of guys use. And I still think this looks bad even with only 205 tires in front and worse if they're bigger. Notice markm has never provided frontal pics of his car? And he says my pics are "wrong"? lol.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/longbranch/55%20Chev_zpsbvlha7db.jpg

Rocky, why don't you tell us how much room you need between the tire and fender when pointed straight, since you seem to know so much about it? :D That pic you posted is the other extreme, with the tires too far inboard and way too small, imo.

What the hell did I do to be drug back in to this crap. Cnut might actually have a running driving car if he did not spend so much time trashing those who have running driving cars. Had about enough of this site and him.

Custer55
03-05-2017, 07:50 PM
I have used the tire calculator quite a bit to figure out what size tires and wheels would work on my C4 conversion and appreciate the effort that went into setting that up for anyone to use. It has been very helpful to me, and is a great guide to give you pretty close. In the real world it doesn't mean you can't go a bit wider from my experience or need to go a bit narrower. I think one of the reasons I have not had rubbing issues with the C4 is there is far less body roll than with a stock set up. I had rubbing issues with 235/60/15 tires on 0 offset wheels with dropped spindles and brakes that made the front end about 1/2" wider per side. As far as what looks good and what doesn't is just a matter of opinion. Build your car the way you like and don't worry about what anybody else thinks, It's your car!!! I like cars low to the ground, no such thing as to low to me. Just can't be so low that you can't drive it, but that is what air bags are for.

Here is mine with the 275/40/17 tires on the front

this is with the 245/50/16 tires on the front. To narrow with the 245's but this is mostly due to the wheel offset, not the tire width
I recently bought a set of Nitto 555 for the front and rear to use on the Corvette wheels
255/40/17 for the front, 285/40/17 for the rear. I'll post some pictures when I get those on the car.
Brian

BamaNomad
03-06-2017, 06:25 AM
Thank you for your post George! and a great looking '55... :)

What size were the 90 Corvette wheels you had on your car in your first photo? and did you have any issues running them with the corvette suspension front and rear? the 90 Corvette wheels could be 8.5, 9.5, (and ZR1 has 11" on rear).. The ones on the front of your '55 are front wheels (either 8.5 or 9.5)..

WagonWonder
03-06-2017, 07:02 AM
dis·cus·sion
dəˈskəSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: discussion
1. the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
"the proposals are not a blueprint but ideas for discussion"
o a conversation or debate about a certain topic.
plural noun: discussions
"discussions about environmental improvement programs"

synonyms:

conversation (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+conversation&forcedict=conversation&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIHTAA), talk (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+talk&forcedict=talk&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIHjAA), dialogue (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+dialogue&forcedict=dialogue&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIHzAA), discourse (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+discourse&forcedict=discourse&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIIDAA), conference (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+conference&forcedict=conference&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIITAA), debate (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+debate&forcedict=debate&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIIjAA), exchange of views, consultation (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+consultation&forcedict=consultation&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIIzAA), deliberation (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+deliberation&forcedict=deliberation&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIJDAA); More
powwow (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+powwow&forcedict=powwow&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIJjAA), chat (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+chat&forcedict=chat&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIJzAA), tête-à-tête (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+t%C3%AAte-%C3%A0-t%C3%AAte&forcedict=t%C3%AAte-%C3%A0-t%C3%AAte&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIKDAA), heart-to-heart (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+heart-to-heart&forcedict=heart-to-heart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIKTAA), huddle (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+huddle&forcedict=huddle&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIKjAA);
negotiations, parley (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+parley&forcedict=parley&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIKzAA);
informalconfab (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+confab&forcedict=confab&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoILDAA), chitchat (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+chitchat&forcedict=chitchat&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoILTAA), rap (session), skull session (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+skull+session&forcedict=skull+session&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoILjAA), bull session (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+bull+session&forcedict=bull+session&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoILzAA);
formalconfabulation, colloquy (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+colloquy&forcedict=colloquy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIMDAA)
"a long discussion with her husband"

o a detailed treatment of a particular topic in speech or writing.

synonyms:

examination (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+examination&forcedict=examination&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIMjAA), exploration (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+exploration&forcedict=exploration&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoIMzAA), analysis (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+analysis&forcedict=analysis&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoINDAA), study (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+study&forcedict=study&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiywZP7kMLSAhUUVGMKHey2DJwQ_SoINTAA);

The above, is the definition of what was it you used, oh yes – discussion – and your articulate reply was
Well, that even looks like shit set inboard, and too low.
Pray tell, enlighten us as to how those words fall into the definition above or, do you use an entirely different dictionary? Provide validated documentation to your claims – no different than you seem to require from those you continue to ar·gue with without evidence but only opinions.
ˈärɡyo͞o/
verb
verb: argue; 3rd person present: argues; past tense: argued; past participle: argued; gerund or present participle: arguing
1. 1.
give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.
"defense attorneys argue that the police lacked “probable cause” to arrest the driver"

synonyms:

contend (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+contend&forcedict=contend&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIHDAA), assert (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+assert&forcedict=assert&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIHTAA), maintain (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+maintain&forcedict=maintain&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIHjAA), insist (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+insist&forcedict=insist&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIHzAA), hold (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+hold&forcedict=hold&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIIDAA), claim (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+claim&forcedict=claim&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIITAA), reason (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+reason&forcedict=reason&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIIjAA), allege (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+allege&forcedict=allege&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIIzAA); More
formalaver (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+aver&forcedict=aver&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIJTAA), represent (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+represent&forcedict=represent&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIJjAA), opine (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+opine&forcedict=opine&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIJzAA)
"they argued that the government was to blame"

o persuade someone to do or not to do (something) by giving reasons.
"I tried to argue him out of it"
2. 2.
exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.
"don't argue with me"

synonyms:

quarrel (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+quarrel&forcedict=quarrel&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIKjAA), disagree (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+disagree&forcedict=disagree&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIKzAA), squabble (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+squabble&forcedict=squabble&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoILDAA), bicker (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+bicker&forcedict=bicker&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoILTAA), fight (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+fight&forcedict=fight&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoILjAA), wrangle (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+wrangle&forcedict=wrangle&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoILzAA), dispute (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+dispute&forcedict=dispute&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIMDAA), feud (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+feud&forcedict=feud&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIMTAA), have words, cross swords, lock horns, be at each other's throats;
informalspat (https://www.google.com/search?biw=2048&bih=1002&q=define+spat&forcedict=spat&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwii06ibksLSAhUBDGMKHYDdCbAQ_SoIMzAA)
"the children are always arguing"

55 Rescue Dog
03-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Thanks so much for adding to the forum, your ideas, opinions, suggestions to the discussions, and not trying to start any arguments.

Custer55
03-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Thank you for your post George! and a great looking '55... :)

What size were the 90 Corvette wheels you had on your car in your first photo? and did you have any issues running them with the corvette suspension front and rear? the 90 Corvette wheels could be 8.5, 9.5, (and ZR1 has 11" on rear).. The ones on the front of your '55 are front wheels (either 8.5 or 9.5)..

Who's George? lol
The Corvette wheels are 17 x 9.5 front and back with 56mm offset. Tires are 275/40/17 which are the stock sizes for a base 90 Corvette. They are the same for front and rear, but are directional do there is 2 right side and 2 left side wheels. I have had them on my 55 since late August of 2016 and didn't have any rubbing issues with them. Pretty close at full lock but they do just clear. Not usually going very fast with the wheels at full lock anyway.
Thanks, Brian

55 Rescue Dog
03-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Who's George? lol
The Corvette wheels are 17 x 9.5 front and back with 56mm offset. Tires are 275/40/17 which are the stock sizes for a base 90 Corvette. They are the same for front and rear, but are directional do there is 2 right side and 2 left side wheels. I have had them on my 55 since late August of 2016 and didn't have any rubbing issues with them. Pretty close at full lock but they do just clear. Not usually going very fast with the wheels at full lock anyway.
Thanks, Brian
Thanks, that's good to know C55 that a 275 can fit. It should be an doable fit with a 255/45-18 which is an inch narrower, and 1.5 inches taller on a 8.5 wheel, which I think would be a good combo with lots of sticky tire choices. The 5 spoke 16's you have on do look better though, which might be close to some front C5 5 spoke front 17's.

BamaNomad
03-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Who's George? lol
Thanks, Brian

Sorry Brian! :)

I thought I saw George at the bottom of your post (or maybe I had a flashback to the Little Big HOrn??). . :) and Thanks for the info on your wheels. It's good to know what a stock Corvette 17x9.5" wheel will work on the front and back of my Nomad (sitting on Corvette Corrections chassis).. :)

55 Rescue Dog
03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Who's George? lol
Thanks, Brian
I see from this chart a couple Corvette wheel options with the +56 mm offset you said fit well 17x8.5 56mm front 97-04 vette, and 18 x 8.5 56 mm front 97 to 13 vette. http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/

Custer55
03-07-2017, 01:25 PM
I see from this chart a couple Corvette wheel options with the +56 mm offset you said fit well 17x8.5 56mm front 97-04 vette, and 18 x 8.5 56 mm front 97 to 13 vette. http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/

Either of those should give you plenty of clearance as you would gain 1/2" of clearance inside and out. If you want the wheels more to the outside you could add spacers. Probably up to 1/4" without changing the wheel studs. I would put in longer wheel studs to use any more of a spacer than that.
Brian

Custer55
03-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Thanks, that's good to know C55 that a 275 can fit. It should be an doable fit with a 255/45-18 which is an inch narrower, and 1.5 inches taller on a 8.5 wheel, which I think would be a good combo with lots of sticky tire choices. The 5 spoke 16's you have on do look better though, which might be close to some front C5 5 spoke front 17's.

I'm not crazy about the way either of the wheels look on my car. I want to get a set of custom wheels that are more of a traditional style at some point but that's just not in the budget right now. The tires on the 5 spoke wheels are just about slicks at this point and I didn't want to spend the money on new tires for those as they are to narrow (8" with 55 mm offset) and don't fill the wheel openings very well due to the width combined with the offset. I decided to use the Corvette wheels since I have an extra set of 4 of those (and know they will work after borrowing them off my wife's 90 Vette) with 2 of them needing refurbishing which cost just under $300. for the pair. Discount tire had a Presidents day promotion so the set was $445. after a couple of rebates so I'll have $525 in tires and $300. in wheels once I get them all mounted on the car. I figure the Corvette wheels will be easier to sell also once I save the money for custom wheels.
Brian

55 Rescue Dog
03-07-2017, 03:13 PM
I'm not crazy about the way either of the wheels look on my car. I want to get a set of custom wheels that are more of a traditional style at some point but that's just not in the budget right now. The tires on the 5 spoke wheels are just about slicks at this point and I didn't want to spend the money on new tires for those as they are to narrow (8" with 55 mm offset) and don't fill the wheel openings very well due to the width combined with the offset. I decided to use the Corvette wheels since I have an extra set of 4 of those (and know they will work after borrowing them off my wife's 90 Vette) with 2 of them needing refurbishing which cost just under $300. for the pair. Discount tire had a Presidents day promotion so the set was $445. after a couple of rebates so I'll have $525 in tires and $300. in wheels once I get them all mounted on the car. I figure the Corvette wheels will be easier to sell also once I save the money for custom wheels.
Brian
I'll have the same problem when I get to that point of using cheap vette wheels for trial fitting to come up with the right combination. Most modern wheel designs just don't look right on old cars, and it always seems like when you find one you like it's a forged wheel for $1200 each. Needing a high positive offset doesn't help either. I'm going to try and come up with something from American Racing's custom shop that will work, like these.
http://www.wheelpros.com/wheel/25671/vnb425-torq-thrust-sl

Custer55
03-08-2017, 06:35 AM
I'll have the same problem when I get to that point of using cheap vette wheels for trial fitting to come up with the right combination. Most modern wheel designs just don't look right on old cars, and it always seems like when you find one you like it's a forged wheel for $1200 each. Needing a high positive offset doesn't help either. I'm going to try and come up with something from American Racing's custom shop that will work, like these.
http://www.wheelpros.com/wheel/25671/vnb425-torq-thrust-sl

Those would look nice, and the available offsets would work well. Price is comparable to custom Budnik wheels. https://www.budnik.com/ When I talked to Rick from RR Frames at Back the 50's last year he said those run about $1,800. and up per set of 4.

03-23-2017, 04:04 PM
A prime example of chevelle disc with a 255/50/17 tire. One of the best looking nomads I've ever seen. Yes his tires rubbed lol. So did the 295/40/18 in back. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/16729452_1285605038198745_7215915522473995912_n.jp g (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/16729452_1285605038198745_7215915522473995912_n.jp g.html)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/16730270_1285605078198741_6280805935782248829_n.jp g (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/16730270_1285605078198741_6280805935782248829_n.jp g.html)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/frontview%20big%20tire.jpg (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/frontview%20big%20tire.jpg.html)

markm
03-23-2017, 04:49 PM
A prime example of chevelle disc with a 255/50/17 tire. One of the best looking nomads I've ever seen. Yes his tires rubbed lol. So did the 295/40/18 in back. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/16729452_1285605038198745_7215915522473995912_n.jp g (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/16729452_1285605038198745_7215915522473995912_n.jp g.html)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/16730270_1285605078198741_6280805935782248829_n.jp g (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/16730270_1285605078198741_6280805935782248829_n.jp g.html)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/frontview%20big%20tire.jpg (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/frontview%20big%20tire.jpg.html)

As much as I dislike big wheels Rocky you are right about this car.

BamaNomad
03-23-2017, 05:34 PM
that IS a great looking '55 Nomad.. so how does he correct the rubbing issue? OR better yet, how do we avoid the rubbing and still clear big brakes?

03-23-2017, 06:28 PM
that IS a great looking '55 Nomad.. so how does he correct the rubbing issue? OR better yet, how do we avoid the rubbing and still clear big brakes? Run smaller tire wheel as noted or another brake that don't push wheels out or live with some rubbing you decide. Or huge offset wheels that look like this. All are ok.....

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/56.jpg (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/56.jpg.html)

03-24-2017, 11:17 AM
RD will appreciate this. Same nomad as it looked when he purchased it a few weeks ago. Only added new tires and wheels and put lowering blocks in rear leafs in pictures above. I think this one might have had 10 inch wide wheels in front lol.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/15741270_1244666725625910_6414512849970572095_n.jp g (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/15741270_1244666725625910_6414512849970572095_n.jp g.html)

markm
03-24-2017, 11:36 AM
RD will appreciate this. Same nomad as it looked when he purchased it a few weeks ago. Only added new tires and wheels and put lowering blocks in rear leafs in pictures above. I think this one might have had 10 inch wide wheels in front lol.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/15741270_1244666725625910_6414512849970572095_n.jp g (http://s282.photobucket.com/user/rockytoppers1/media/15741270_1244666725625910_6414512849970572095_n.jp g.html)
-
Stance does not really bother me as much as those homely wheels. They are ugly and I don't care what diameter they are in.