PDA

View Full Version : Compressor question

destroyertta
11-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Hey just bought a Husky 60 Gal. Stationary Electric Air Compressor that was usually $489 but this one just had some scratches and dust on it it was marked down to $244 I offered them $175 they said $200 I wond up getting it to $190 but just wondering if anyone ever took the pump and motor and mounted it elsewhere and plumbed it into the tank to help with noise am I crazy or is this do able

chevynut
11-14-2016, 02:23 PM
There's no reason I can think of that you couldn't mount the tank remotely. All it is is a storage vessel for pressure and could be mounted anywhere.

Maddog
11-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Just mount the entire unit away from you and run air line to your work area, no need to split it up. I usually mount unit outside work shop and build an enclose around it which further reduces the noise.

markm
11-14-2016, 03:48 PM
A buddy of mine mounted his phase converter in the attic for the same reason.

Rick_L
11-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Part of the noise deal is definitely the tank, you can hear the sound change as pressure increases. At low pressure you are hearing some tank resonance. But that lasts only a few seconds, then the sound is mostly from the compressor itself. Not sure what you really accomplish by splitting them, I don't think much.

chevynut
11-14-2016, 07:08 PM
The compressor is noisy, and a lot of it is the intake. One of the things you would want to do is relocate the check valve that's in the tank along with the compressor so it's not on the tank anymore. I think it rattles a lot adding to the noise level. I think you'll see a huge drop in noise level with just the tank in the shop and the compressor remotely located which, as I understand your question, is what you're proposing.

destroyertta
11-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Yea I was just curious if anyone has ever done it probably not going to do it just wondering how it worked out I rent a small one car garage so I can't really mount the tank outside in the yard so if I did it would be on the outside wall up and out of the way in closed