PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Favorite Easy Shop Tips!

55 Rescue Dog
02-06-2017, 02:49 PM
I'll throw this one out I just freshened up. Easy to make bench vise soft jaws. Just take some scrap 1 inch aluminum angle, by 1/16 thick, cut to length, formed to top of vise, then just duct tape it. Works so much better for gripping almost anything without damage, than the steel jaws, and if you need the steel jaws, just flip them back, or peel them off if you need to heat/bend something. They last for years, and cost almost nothing!688468856886

55 Rescue Dog
02-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Another vise tip. When bolting down your vise, make sure the fixed jaw is in front of the edge of the bench so you can clamp something long. I've seen it done wrong many times. 6888

Rick_L
02-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Duct tape on the aluminum jaws just gets in the way when you want to use the originals, and the adhesive makes a mess.

55 Rescue Dog
02-07-2017, 04:26 AM
Duct tape on the aluminum jaws just gets in the way when you want to use the originals, and the adhesive makes a mess.
Thanks for that useful tip.

chevynut
02-07-2017, 07:48 AM
What else do you expect, RD? ;)

If you're making something out of aluminum and need to sand it, get some beeswax and put it on your sanding or cutting discs. I use bowstring wax in a small tube that costs about $3 and goes a long ways. I just hit the tube with the rotating disc. WD40 works but it's messier and the beeswax lasts longer. You'll be amazed at how much better the cutting action is.

http://static.shoplightspeed.com/shops/602524/files/000463794/700x700x2/bohning-bohning-tex-tite-bowstring-wax.jpg

MP&C
02-08-2017, 05:01 AM
This one is borrowed from Laszlo,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/1955%20Chevy%20Wagon%20Restoration%20Album%204/Picture1127.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/1955%20Chevy%20Wagon%20Restoration%20Album%204/Picture1128.jpg

This helps to keep the door flush, just don't push hard on the sanding block. Let the paper do the work.. If it needs additional stability, grab the rear door and b pillar in one hand, sand with the other..

55 Rescue Dog
02-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Whenever you need to disconnect a brake line it usually makes a mess, empties out the lines and the master cylinder which makes bleeding more difficult.
Simply use a prop rod to depress the brake pedal part way, which blocks off the outlet ports inside the cylinder. Then all the fluid is stays in the reservoir and lines down stream. Like filling up a drinking straw with water, and it stays in the straw when you block one end with your finger. 6898

55 Rescue Dog
02-10-2017, 01:59 PM
If you need to mark round tubing, a stainless hose clamp works great. You can make pie-cut marks to alter the radius, or a single cut to change directions, and it helps keep the tubing cut round.

Troy
02-10-2017, 02:49 PM
If you need to mark round tubing, a stainless hose clamp works great. You can make pie-cut marks to alter the radius, or a single cut to change directions, and it helps keep the tubing cut round.

You can also use hose clamps with holes punched through the band to clamp tube joints together then tack the tubes together through the punched holes.

55 Rescue Dog
02-11-2017, 03:08 PM
While my wife was gone for the afternoon, I thought I would try her Roomba robot vacuum out in the garage I had just swept. I couldn't believe how much it sucked up I couldn't see. Mostly dog hair. Even goes under the car that's hard to clean. Emptied out a full bin 4 times on one charge. I just need to wipe it down, and get it back in the house before she gets home. 6904

Rick_L
02-11-2017, 05:08 PM
I should have offered an alternative to the duct tape on the vise jaws.

If you're going to bend up some jaw protectors, add a tab that can be bent down to hold them in place. If you're clever enough and the vise shape allows it, make the tab make a snap fit, not requiring it to be bent each time.

There are also some reasonably priced jaw protectors out there that fit and close down on a hex shape, great for AN hose fittings.

markm
02-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Rick Speedway has magnetic backed alum jaws very reasonable price.

Rick_L
02-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Good call, are they the ones that can correctly hold the hex shapes too?

Custer55
02-11-2017, 08:56 PM
You could also use the thin business card size refrigeratormagnets glued to the home made jaw protectors. They are easy to cut to size with a scissors.
Brian

Belair-o
02-12-2017, 06:21 AM
You could also use the thin business card size refrigeratormagnets glued to the home made jaw protectors. They are easy to cut to size with a scissors.
Brian

Brian, Great idea - I had picked up a 1/8" aluminum angle piece from Home Depot, and was about to drill holes to epoxy super magnets into to hold the pieces on the vice, but you saved me from that unnecessary effort. Thanks!

55 Rescue Dog, thanks for the great idea of the jaw liners. I have previously imprinted the waffle pattern from my vice jaw faces into pieces I clamped in the vice. I never stopped to think of a fix, just filed the pattern off. Thanks! Doug

55 Rescue Dog
02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
I remember when a great tuning mechanic I took a class from 35 years ago (1982) in the dawn age of computer controlled engines, always recommended a carbon monoxide detector in a shop. He even had a SUN chassis dyno way back then, to search for power. Finally dawned on me when I was changing the battery in the CO/explosive gas detector from the house. So, I bought a fresh new one for the house, and put this one in the garage. You just never know how long you can run a car inside even for a couple minutes with the doors open. Especially a carbureted non-emission/no cat engine running on 110 octane race gas.

55 Rescue Dog
02-13-2017, 04:51 PM
I've forgot more things than I can remember! So, I'll just try and keep posting some past things I remember good or bad, to keep it going so I won't forget myself. And, why not try to "Pay it Forward"? Ideas are best when shared.

55 Rescue Dog
02-15-2017, 05:09 PM
I don't plan to ever have to drive an oil pump pick-up in a old Chevy engine again, since I've been converted to LSx engines, but I came up with a great way to drive a press fit oil pump pick-up in. In my case I had a pump pick-up with a 5/8 tube. So I took an extra 5/8 wrench with a small dimple drilled into it to hold the tip a $19 air chisel. Using just enough pressure from a regulator, and a couple index marks I easily buzzed it right very tightly in to where it needed to be.6943

BamaNomad
02-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Did you braize that pickup tube to the pump plate also?? I've heard of them falling out and starving an engine unless you do so...

55 Rescue Dog
02-16-2017, 03:42 AM
Did you braize that pickup tube to the pump plate also?? I've heard of them falling out and starving an engine unless you do so...
It pressed in straight, nice and tight, so I wasn't worried about it moving or falling out. The originals where always just a press fit. I think you can have issues by trying to beat a pick-up in with a hammer like the first one I ever did in 1973 on a BBC. That one definitely needed to be brazed.

Bihili
02-16-2017, 08:43 AM
So, I bought a fresh new one for the house, and put this one in the garage.

I did the same thing and I am amazed how often the detector goes off.
Even when I start the newer cars, if the garage door is closed the detector will go off.
So now I always open the garage door before I start my vehicle.
When I start the 57 I need two doors open.:eek:

Brent's 57
02-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Your not to put a carbon monoxide detector in a garage or by a stove, furnace or any gas appliance. Read the instruction manual, place the alarm at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances. Other wise you will get false alarms. Put alarm in bedroom above or next to the garage, and hallway connected to garage. Most Carbon Monoxide detectors are good for 5-7 years and should be replaced after that time frame or when End-of-Life warning starts beeping twice every 30 seconds. Typically, the units have a tag or date stamp on the back to indicate it's age or expiration date.

55 Rescue Dog
02-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Your not to put a carbon monoxide detector in a garage or by a stove, furnace or any gas appliance. Read the instruction manual, place the alarm at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances. Other wise you will get false alarms. Put alarm in bedroom above or next to the garage, and hallway connected to garage. Most Carbon Monoxide detectors are good for 5-7 years and should be replaced after that time frame or when End-of-Life warning starts beeping twice every 30 seconds. Typically, the units have a tag or date stamp on the back to indicate it's age or expiration date.
What you said is correct, but putting an extra one in a shop is still good idea. It not exactly a false alarm in a garage. It is telling you to get the hell out of there before you hit the floor. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and there is no way to guess when it might be a problem.

Rick_L
02-16-2017, 04:28 PM
I would have thought everyone that's interested in cars would know you don't start one in a closed building. You shouldn't need a CO detector if you know this.

BamaNomad
02-16-2017, 06:33 PM
What you said is correct, but putting an extra one in a shop is still good idea. It not exactly a false alarm in a garage. It is telling you to get the hell out of there before you hit the floor. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and there is no way to guess when it might be a problem.

If you are running your engine in a garage - closed or not - (without pipes carrying the exhaust outside), then it IS a problem... (I don't need a CO detector to tell me this!).. :)

55 Rescue Dog
02-17-2017, 12:42 PM
I would have thought everyone that's interested in cars would know you don't start one in a closed building. You shouldn't need a CO detector if you know this.
If someone was stupid enough to run car in a closed building they probably wouldn't have a detector anyway. Unless you push your car outside and close the door so the CO doesn't drift back when you start it, there is no other way to know is all. Just thought it would be worth a try to use the non expired one I had in the house the last 3-4 years and get a new in there which is even more important. Do you have one in your house, and a half dozen fire extinguishers around? I have 4 within easy reach just in the garage, 3 in the house, and one in the car. But if you are very careful, you probably would never need one of those either, but that isn't being careful.

55 Rescue Dog
02-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Here is a great tool for taking U-joints apart. Since I don't have a drive shaft to set up in the press for a pic, I'll try to describe. This was a loose copy from a GM service manual for a U-joint tool. I used to struggle trying to press both trunnion caps at the same time to get the first cap out. So, I took some scrap 1/4 and 3/8 steel for the top, and welded it, and ground a couple notches. It straddles the cross arms of the joint, so you can press out one cap a time. Takes HALF the force with this method, reducing the chance of bending the ears on the drive shaft. After you get the U-joint fully assembled with the snap rings the conventional way, you can use this tool to seat the caps on the retaining rings to eliminate any bind in the joint.

markm
02-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Good call, are they the ones that can correctly hold the hex shapes too?

Speedway part #6173661

Info

These soft-jaw vice inserts will keep your AN fittings looking great during and after assembly. The aluminum insert firmly holds the hex portion of the fitting without marring the anodized or plated finish. They can be used with any size AN fittings from AN3 to AN32.

As a bonus, the long horizontal pockets in the inserts will hold braided hose while cutting. Includes magnet to affix it to steel vice jaws.

55 Rescue Dog
04-23-2017, 07:55 AM
I remember when a great tuning mechanic I took a class from 35 years ago (1982) in the dawn age of computer controlled engines, always recommended a carbon monoxide detector in a shop. He even had a SUN chassis dyno way back then, to search for power. Finally dawned on me when I was changing the battery in the CO/explosive gas detector from the house. So, I bought a fresh new one for the house, and put this one in the garage. You just never know how long you can run a car inside even for a couple minutes with the doors open. Especially a carbureted non-emission/no cat engine running on 110 octane race gas.
Fired up my car after a long winter and in the 20 seconds it took to back out of the garage the CO detector had climbed to 100ppm. Dropped to 35ppm by the time I got a pic. Although not a dangerous short term level, it at least gives me a quick reference for staying out of the shop until it's back to zero. A cold engine puts out 70,000ppm's of carbon monoxide during the first minute of run time. 7112

55 Rescue Dog
07-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Although it has many uses, vinegar makes a safe, cheap easy rust remover. Had 4 very rusty rotors to try and clean up so I bought 3 gallons of vinegar for $6 plus added 2 gallons of water to a plastic tub big enough for 2 rotors at a time. Let them sit outside for 2-3 days with a lid on the tub. Rinsed them off with soapy water and a scotch bright. Then I just hit them with a wire wheel, and got some paint on them right after I took pics.750175027503

BamaNomad
07-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Good tip RD! How long does the vinegar/water mix *last*.. when exposed to sun/weather??

55 Rescue Dog
07-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Good tip RD! How long does the vinegar/water mix *last*.. when exposed to sun/weather??
I kept a lid on it in the shade, but it got pretty nasty after de-rusting 4 rotors 2 at a time over 5 days, and threw it out. It worked a little faster when it was fresh on the first 2 rotors. One tip, don't spill any of it on your concrete.

chevynut
07-17-2017, 11:33 AM
What works great for de-rusting is phosphoric acid which is what's in most metal prep solutions. Muriatic acid is cheap and it works, but it leaves some rust as it dries (even after good rinsing) where phosphoric doesn't. A lot of guys used to use "milkstone rinse" (phosphoric acid) that you can get from Tractor Supply. However, they have to have it in the store and they won't ship it in for you. My local stores don't have it and for some stupid reason they won't get it for me. They act like their hands are tied.

chevynut
07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
I just checked again and it looks like you CAN get milkstone remove online at Tractor Supply now. I really let them have it when they said they couldn't ship it to my local store, so maybe they changed their policy on it. ;) In fact, they say now that they even STOCK IT in my local store...gotta go get me some. :)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/milkstone%20remover

LEE T
07-17-2017, 03:41 PM
I don't care for Milkstone myself, it doesn't offer any protection after you rinse it off---because it isn't formulated for rust removal, its for milkstone removal from a stainless steel tank. You can get Safety Klean's Prep and Etch at Home Depot for a little more than what Milkstone costs, and its for use on steel for rust removal.

chevynut
07-17-2017, 04:32 PM
I don't care for Milkstone myself, it doesn't offer any protection after you rinse it off---because it isn't formulated for rust removal, its for milkstone removal from a stainless steel tank. You can get Safety Klean's Prep and Etch at Home Depot for a little more than what Milkstone costs, and its for use on steel for rust removal.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Phosphoric-Prep-and-Etch-GKPA30220/100406369

Have you tried milkstone rinse Lee? I remember reading a lot of guys say it works great. Any idea of the concentration of phosphoric acid in each product?

LEE T
07-17-2017, 05:25 PM
No, I have had no reason to try it, it doesn't have any rust inhibitors in it, and that's because they are not needed for removing milkstone. They don't seem to make any claims as far as removing rust, but I believe there is probably plenty enough acid to do that. Not long ago prep and etch was around $10 at home depot, they jumped to $12 and now $15.78

I like evaporust for rust removal on cast iron, and for cleaning cast alum parts. Evaporust doesn't contain any acid, so it will rinse off much easier than phosphoric acid, and that is very important to do before epoxy. It would be expensive, but you would really like the way evaporust cleans alum--just let it soak a couple days--and its safe on any metal.

55 Rescue Dog
08-02-2017, 03:54 AM
I removed all of the stickers and numbers from my Camaro for a redo on the graphics like Lightning McQueen, but some adhesive was left on the panels. Didn't really want to use any solvents on the pre-painted aluminum body panels, so I took some sticky Gorilla tape and stuck that to the glue, and after a few pulls it came off clean.

55 Rescue Dog
12-14-2017, 03:11 PM
After drilling many holes with a hole saw over the years, a good tip is to NOT use the 1/4 inch drill in the arbor especially when drilling through thin sheet metal, or aluminum if you want your hole to be the right size. Drill the 1/4 in pilot hole separately, and then use a 1/4 drill rod in the arbor. Otherwise if you leave a drill bit in the arbor the pilot hole keeps getting bigger, along with the hole saw making for a much bigger uglier hole than what you planned. Today I needed to drill a 4 inch hole in the lower corner of my steel garage door for a dust collector port. I will just connect up my 3/4 HP dust collector outside to suck fumes, whatever right outside, plus I won't have to listen to it. Now I need to figure out what to do with a barely used 4 inch hole saw I will probably not use again.

55 Rescue Dog
03-27-2018, 05:54 AM
I finally got around to welding up a lifting beam to use for incremental moves using my cherry picker. since it is something I will use many times I wanted it to be easy to setup, and not put any extra stress on the sheet metal lift point with a vertical lifting angle. Just used steel I had laying around which was mostly 1 1/4 inch stuff. Since I only have one picker, I made it to use on both the front and rear of the body to slip 4x4 wood beams under it to use my undercar lift. Had to make a couple of C shaped brackets to get around the tail pan.

55 Rescue Dog
03-27-2018, 05:58 AM
Here it is on the front. The cherry picker was my 3rd welding project way back in 1990. I took the dimensions from an OTC one at work, and used bigger/thicker steel on everything, along with a 8 ton jack instead of the usual 3 ton. Have used it many times, even lifted a 1100 pound tire machine a few times. Breaks down easy to load it in my truck too. I could have just bought one for less, but it was a good learning project, and 1 trip to ER for a piece of metal in my eye when I should have been using a face shield for grinding, instead of safety glasses.

markm
03-27-2018, 07:00 AM
RD , that is a lot like mine that I built in HS metal shop. At that time about the only game in town for a hoist was Walker and they were $800. You could buy a decent Trifive for that kind of money. Walker only sold 1500 pound long jacks over the counter, two of mu buddies bought them, I opted for a cheaper 5 ton Walker short jack and 20 years ago changed to a long 8 ton. I made a lot of Beer money loaning that thing out in the 70s.

55 Rescue Dog
12-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Another really cool hole-saw trick I never would have thought of. If you ever need to make a hole bigger with a hole saw you are stuck to hacking away at it after you cut the 1/4 pilot hole out. But, you can simply use the saw for the small hole as the pilot by screwing it on to the arbor inside the size hole you want.

Custer55
12-07-2018, 05:33 AM
Good tip. I will have to remember that one.

scorpion1110
12-08-2018, 05:03 AM
I don't plan to ever have to drive an oil pump pick-up in a old Chevy engine again, since I've been converted to LSx engines, but I came up with a great way to drive a press fit oil pump pick-up in. In my case I had a pump pick-up with a 5/8 tube. So I took an extra 5/8 wrench with a small dimple drilled into it to hold the tip a $19 air chisel. Using just enough pressure from a regulator, and a couple index marks I easily buzzed it right very tightly in to where it needed to be.6943

Rescue, I was told and read somewhere that you do not install a pickup on an SBC or LBC for that matter with it block mounted. I use a vise and I actually have a tool for driving it on. Its low-buck and has a clamshell clamp that restss at the pick-up ridge. A couple of taps and you can drive it on. Also helps to put the pickup in the freezer to constrict the metal. Dont put the pump in the oven to expand however.

As for welding the pickup, have done it but don't anymore. I use a pick-up retention clamp that wraps around the pickup and bolts to the housing. Cheap effective insurance.

Scorp

BamaNomad
12-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Rescue, I was told and read somewhere that you do not install a pickup on an SBC or LBC for that matter with it block mounted. I use a vise and I actually have a tool for driving it on. Its low-buck and has a clamshell clamp that restss at the pick-up ridge. A couple of taps and you can drive it on. Also helps to put the pickup in the freezer to constrict the metal. Dont put the pump in the oven to expand however.

As for welding the pickup, have done it but don't anymore. I use a pick-up retention clamp that wraps around the pickup and bolts to the housing. Cheap effective insurance.

Scorp

I've always braized the pickup tube into the pump plate (NOT the assembled pump), and I've never had any issues getting the pickup tube into the plate. After braizing the pickup I then use fine sandpaper on a thick piece of flat glass to ensure the surface of the plate is flat and will seal properly. When I assemble a pump, I also use the glass/fine paper to smooth all the flat rub surfaces of the pump parts and deburr/sand the edges. On assembly I use molybdenum disulfide grease on all the rub surfaces. I think these steps help to ensure that one never has a pump issue.

BUT.. I'd still like to see a photo of your 'tool' for inserting the pickup, As well as a photo of the 'pickup retention clamp' you refer to...

Rick_L
12-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Brazing, the kind with a torch and flux, is not a good way to fasten the pickup tube because of the flux. You'll never get rid of the flux. A similar but better way to join the two is to use a tig welder and silicone bronze filler rod. The process is essentially the same as actual tig welding, except that you don't have to melt the steel of the pickup and pump cover plate, so the heat involved is much less.

chevynut
12-08-2018, 10:04 AM
While brazing, welding, or somehow restraining a pump pickup sounds like a good idea, why didn't GM ever do it in decades of building millions of SBC and BBC engines? Is it a real or imagined problem?

Rick_L
12-08-2018, 10:36 AM
It's definitely a real problem. Risk is related to situations. The main "bad" situations are race engines, where high rpm cause vibrations of higher magnitude and more cycles, and aftermarket replacement of the pickup, where lack of required fit and bad installation practice can occur. Another bad situation is physical damage to the oil pan/pickup (think offroad stuff). The "good" situations are low rpm grocery getter applications. Factory parts installed by the factory in factory applications do well as a general statement.

I have also had a Moroso pickup tube fail from fatigue. When I went to buy a replacement, they had a brace added, so I wasn't the first one to have the problem.

BamaNomad
12-08-2018, 12:49 PM
It's definitely a real problem. Risk is related to situations. The main "bad" situations are race engines, where high rpm cause vibrations of higher magnitude and more cycles, and aftermarket replacement of the pickup, where lack of required fit and bad installation practice can occur. Another bad situation is physical damage to the oil pan/pickup (think offroad stuff). The "good" situations are low rpm grocery getter applications. Factory parts installed by the factory in factory applications do well as a general statement.

I have also had a Moroso pickup tube fail from fatigue. When I went to buy a replacement, they had a brace added, so I wasn't the first one to have the problem.

I agree with this, while I've never had a pickup come out of a pump, I have heard of it happening a few times over my 50 yrs or so of car crafting.. I also think probably a better idea would be the tack welding a brace on the tube and bolting it down (as Rick describes for the Moroso tube). Unfortunately Moroso doesn't produce such tubes for every configuration of pan/engine we build. Probably even 'safety wiring' would be preferable to braizing/welding on the steel tube and cast pump housing...

scorpion1110
12-08-2018, 01:40 PM
I've always braized the pickup tube into the pump plate (NOT the assembled pump), and I've never had any issues getting the pickup tube into the plate. After braizing the pickup I then use fine sandpaper on a thick piece of flat glass to ensure the surface of the plate is flat and will seal properly. When I assemble a pump, I also use the glass/fine paper to smooth all the flat rub surfaces of the pump parts and deburr/sand the edges. On assembly I use molybdenum disulfide grease on all the rub surfaces. I think these steps help to ensure that one never has a pump issue.

BUT.. I'd still like to see a photo of your 'tool' for inserting the pickup, As well as a photo of the 'pickup retention clamp' you refer to...

Bama-

Here is the tool for driving on the pick-up:

And here is the retainer that I got from Jegs:

I use the driver and retainer on every pump I put in after I set the pick-up to pan gap. For that I made a tool that is the depth of the pan and I set the pick-up about 3/8th off the sump bottom. Some guys use modeling clay but I dont want that crap in the pick-up mesh.

Scorp

BamaNomad
12-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Thanks for posting the photos, Scorp~! I haven't seen those tools/parts, but it's good to know they exist..

chevynut
12-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Seems to me that with 8 quarts of oil in my engine, worrying about pickup to pan clearance is not an issue. I can't see how +/-1/16" or even +/-1/8" or more makes much difference so to me it's a non-issue. The whole pump is submerged in oil almost to the windage tray and the pickup is below that. I left it the way GM shipped it.

Rick_L
12-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Obviously you've never had a pickup fall off or break. With no pickup other than the hole in the pump, you have good oil pressure if the vehicle is still or cruising steady. Any acceleration, deceleration, or turning uncovers the pickup and you lose oil pressure.

If the pickup is too close to the bottom of the pan you have problems too. Too high is the same or worse than no pickup.

scorpion1110
12-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Seems to me that with 8 quarts of oil in my engine, worrying about pickup to pan clearance is not an issue. I can't see how +/-1/16" or even +/-1/8" or more makes much difference so to me it's a non-issue. The whole pump is submerged in oil almost to the windage tray and the pickup is below that. I left it the way GM shipped it.

CN

Do you build your own motors? If you do you will be checking the pickup to sump bottom clearance.

However, since I am just a random forum dude, just google "pump to pan clearance". Standard offered spec is 5/16th to 3/8th.

I dont build a ton of motors, but every one I build I am rigid on spec and they run great. Same on transmissions. They are bulletproof.

The detail matters- always does.

Scorp

OLKY55
12-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Over 40 years ago, when I was in High School, I put together a new motor for my 55. I had pressed in the pickup, the best I could. It ran good with good oil pressure. However, one day I happened to look at the oil pressure gauge while braking hard (something you really don't normally do) and the pressure dropped to 0 psi. When I finally got around to taking the engine apart, I found the pickup laying comfortably in the bottom of the pan.

bigblock
12-09-2018, 07:51 AM
The guy that pay's the closest attention to the details is always easy to find, He's the one winning!

55 Rescue Dog
01-18-2019, 07:37 AM
I found a great way to slow down my single-speed 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with what used to be called a router speed controller, for less that $20 online. They have the same thing at harbor freight, but was out of stock. Unless I'm cutting, or hogging off a lot, I find my sanding discs are working better. lasting longer, cooler and quieter, and easier to handle, when slowed down a ways, like 25%. I have a Milwaukee variable speed grinder but now I can use my smaller one. Wire wheels last years, instead of days too. I actually bought the speed controller to slow down the blower on my Hobbyair 2 fresh air respirator,which blows way to much air, making the air warm, and very loud. I now am using it as a fresh-air supply to my welding helmet blow a gentle breeze inside the hood. You can use the speed control on any "universal" corded motor that use brushes. Not for use on an induction motor like on a drill press.

BamaNomad
01-18-2019, 08:24 AM
I wish there was a way to slow down my Baldor buffer! (3450 rpm) which is way too fast for my limited buffing skills! an alternative to slowing it down is to sell it and purchase a two speed model.

Rick_L
01-18-2019, 09:30 AM
You may find that buffing and high speed go together. There's a reason that buffer motors are 3450 rpm instead of 1725 rpm.

55 Rescue Dog
01-18-2019, 10:00 AM
I didn't know they had single-phase variable frequency drives (VFD) for induction motors on the market until just now. That might work great on a drill press, buffer, etc. There are endless programming options, if you can figure it all out. I am going to start thinking of one to make better use of my drill press. Changing belt/pulley positions all the time on my 15 speed Jet drill press is a PIA. That could be very handy just changing speeds with a dial.

https://www.ato.com/single-phase-vfd

BamaNomad
01-18-2019, 08:20 PM
You may find that buffing and high speed go together. There's a reason that buffer motors are 3450 rpm instead of 1725 rpm.

I understand the 'truth' in that.. :) .... but the idea of attempting buffing/polishing of a 3-4' long piece of stainless trim with my 10-12" wheels at 3450 leaves me with a mental image of the trim wrapped around my neck... or stabbing me to a wall.. :) I'd really like to slow it down at times! :)

55 Rescue Dog
06-21-2019, 09:33 AM
I had to come up with a good way to remove locking lug nuts that a couple other shops couldn't do, and these 2 ways worked. I have destroyed a couple of reverse twist sockets trying to get some off, but most locking lug nuts are harder than the socket. The first one I just made 6 evenly spaced tack welds that a 3/4 socket fits over, and while still warm they all loosened up easily by hand. On the second one the wheel bolt was recessed too deep in the wheel, so I taped a 3/4 hex jam nut to the nozzle of my mig welder and pulled the trigger for a couple of seconds. Make sure and put the ground clamp on the brake rotor or wheel, so the welding current doesn't go through the wheel bearings.

55 Rescue Dog
11-18-2019, 02:23 PM
10310I was trying to come up with an easy way to plug the dozen holes in my floor pan that were used for different seats, and belts over the years. I ended up using 1/4in carriage bolts that worked out pretty good being able to use the stud you hold it in place. Just used my angle grinder, and cordless drill to spin them down to size, and ground the dome down until the head was like 1/16in thick. Tacked in place, then cut the stud off the head, and finished welding.

55 Rescue Dog
11-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Since I hate welding fumes as much as paint fumes, I've been using my Hobbyair fresh-air respirator. It works great, especially when there is junk on the backside like paint/undercoating. I just drilled 2 small holes in the chin of my welding helmet, then looped a wire tie around the feed hose. I use a router speed control to dial the airflow down to a gentle breeze to my nose and eyes. I also use a remote controlled outlet to turn it on, or off. These outlets are great when you don't have any switched outlets. They are less than $15 for 3 outlets, and a remote. I use a couple to turn on neon lights.

BamaNomad
11-24-2019, 05:45 PM
RD, all you need is remote controlled welding music... :)

55 Rescue Dog
07-05-2020, 08:06 AM
I decided my new Paragon wheel skates would be a lot handier if they were taller for working under the car, so I made some platforms to rest on top of the skates which raised the tire another 5 inches. It puts the frame up to 16 inches, which makes it much easier get under it to line up the frame to the body, which I will still need to do a couple more times. It also made it easier to install the engine/trans since I could move the car a little instead of the cherry picker. It's like having 4 rolling jack stands.

BamaNomad
07-05-2020, 08:50 AM
RD... I LIKE that idea, but you should be VERY CAREFUL while under the car on those elevated 'rollers' to not accidentally knock it off or make one of those tire dollies tilt over...

55 Rescue Dog
07-05-2020, 02:37 PM
RD... I LIKE that idea, but you should be VERY CAREFUL while under the car on those elevated 'rollers' to not accidentally knock it off or make one of those tire dollies tilt over...
It's actually very stable, more so than even jack stands, except it can move. I couldn't knock it off if I tried. Plus for bolting some stuff together I like to have the suspension loaded to limit twist in the chassis.

markm
07-05-2020, 03:22 PM
That dog looks like one of my labs cut off at knees.

55 Rescue Dog
07-05-2020, 03:58 PM
I think she is a black lab, basset hound mix, which would be a Bassador. I got her as a rescue dog right after I got my 55.

markm
07-05-2020, 06:08 PM
I think she is a black lab, basset hound mix, which would be a Bassador. I got her as a rescue dog right after I got my 55.

No argument from me.

Belair-o
07-06-2020, 06:04 AM
Your dog looks like she approves of the additional clearance!:p

BamaNomad
07-06-2020, 08:34 PM
RD's dog could clear a low-rider I think... :)

Custer55
07-07-2020, 06:58 AM

Cute dog!! Looks almost like a Dachshund with a Lab head.

55 Rescue Dog
10-02-2020, 06:21 AM
While mocking up the mounting plate for my Wilwood brake pedal, I needed to come up with a way to bolt it in by myself, without a helper to hold a wrench since I can't reach both sides of the firewall. I've already had to put it in, and take it out many times so far, and figured out I could tighten a nut from one side by using long set-screws for studs. I put a nut on one end of the screw and stick it through the hole, and on the other side, slip a nut and washer over an allen wrench to hold it in place, and tighten up the nut. I also use set screws for hanging the upper corner of the fenders, and installing the hood by myself. 113831138411385Once everything is where it needs to be, I can remove the studs one at a time, and replace with a bolt.

Belair-o
10-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Hi 55 Rescue Dog,
Thanks for the tip, I will have to remember that! I too am forced to figure out ways to do tasks by my lonesome; necessity is the mother of invention, I have heard.
Thanks, Doug

55 Rescue Dog
11-03-2020, 11:02 AM
It's always been a struggle to find a good light when working under the dash, or under the car. Hated my 500 watt halogen that melted my new 50 foot air hose in the middle, and lots of other stuff it could set on fire. Came up with this simple outdoor plastic flood light holder, and a 90 watt LED flood that won't melt anything. I use it all of the time now.

Belair-o
11-07-2020, 09:03 AM
I was installing a cell signal booster in my shop, and needed to crimp a lug on a grounding wire. I got all set with my ratcheting crimper, but found with my old arthritic hands, I couldn't get the crimp as tight as it should be:
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11494&d=1604768092
I thought one of my clamps might be an aid, so used this clamp (see below) to easily complete the crimp. The grooves in the clamp faces made it easy to register and tighten the clamp on the crimper handles.
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11493&d=1604768078
A force multiplier!

55 Rescue Dog
03-29-2022, 11:21 AM
I really didn't want to share this idea because I was planning on making a bunch and selling them but figured it wouldn't go far from here. Sold 3 to the first body shop I showed it to. By necessity, I came up with a much better/cheaper hands-free copper MIG welding backer than anything else on the market. I had to weld up 32 trim holes on my front fenders and some others. Uses a very strong neodymium shielded cup magnet, and the rest is all made from copper that helps pull the heat right out of the weld zone. The whole thing is hot after one spot weld. It is adjustable for different angles, and with a bigger copper cap it can back up longer gaps. It works perfect.

TrifiveRichard
03-29-2022, 02:20 PM
Your shop is a lot cleaner than mine, RD. I’m still trying to remove sanding dust from skim coating and sanding the Corvette, and that was in a separate room!

BamaNomad
03-29-2022, 08:11 PM
RD: I like your copper welding backer idea... WHY haven't you offered them for sale to us here?

Belair-o
03-30-2022, 06:32 AM
Hi 55RD,
Thanks for posting that - very clever. I have a former boss who after a lot of welding school training, repurposed himself as a welder. I think he might have some occasion to use the tip.
Thanks, Doug

55 Rescue Dog
09-05-2022, 11:01 AM
Here is a good tip that works good for removing gummy adhesive left behind from stickers/decals, etc. In my case today I finally got around to removing some Velcro strips someone had stuck to the vinly dash on one of my cars like 20 years ago for a sunshade, and it was in a hard-to-reach area that couldn't be scrapped with anything, and I didn't want to use any solvents. I just tear off a chunk of very sticky Gorilla tape and keep sticking it on the adhesive and just keep pulling it off a little at a time, and after several slow pulls with the tape the adhesive all came off clean.

BamaNomad
09-05-2022, 06:59 PM
RD: Have you ever tried 3M adhesive remover? ;) It works great and very quickly and non abrasive...

busterwivell
09-06-2022, 04:53 AM
Like Gary, I use it all the time.

55 Rescue Dog
09-06-2022, 03:00 PM
Yes, I have tried 3M adhesive remover, but sometimes just a piece of sticky tape is an easier solution for most stuff. If that doesn't work then I try 3M, or something else, like trying to remove widow tint adhesive of which I've found nasty Acetone works.

55 Rescue Dog
07-25-2023, 12:52 PM
My brother-in-law was changing plugs on an overhead cam engine with the deep holes through the valve cover and the extension came off the spark plug socket and he tried several ways trying to get the socket out. So, he got a locking extension and used a piece of dental floss to pull the trigger back to get it to lock-on to the socket. It worked, and I never would have thought of that tip.