PDA

View Full Version : Keys & Locks

alhewitt
02-10-2017, 09:06 PM
I bought a 57 at Barrett Jackson and the keys that came with the car did not worm, they would not open anything. I hired a locksmith and just yesterday after 2 weeks of ownership I finally got into the trunk. Jimmy Hoffa was not there nor was 5 million dollars, but I'm not complaining. Once we got the trunk open the locksmith got a key number off of the trunk cylinder and cut me key. Turns out it works in the trunk, doors glove box and ignition... What a break as I was planning to replace all of the locks.
Question; did the 57's have one key that worked everywhere or were there two keys, one for the ignition and doors and a a different one for the trunk and glove box?
Thanks
Al

Rick_L
02-11-2017, 05:31 AM
Yes all these cars came from the factory with one key for all locks. Sounds like the seller just gave you the wrong key.

567chevys
02-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Correct Rick
One Key for all

I have all the reed Books to Punch New Keys

all I need is blank key and the lock #

Sid

markm
02-11-2017, 05:35 PM
I have my 55 and 56 keyed to same key for all locks, and my 72 Cheyenne Super, 72 K/5 Blazer both 1987 GMC 4x4s and 46 1/2 ton use same key.

Rick_L
02-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Sometime in the 60s GM started using two keys. One for the ignition/door locks, the other for the trunk and glove box.

Custer55
02-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Yep, same key for everything on my 55 Chevy. Funny story about that is my 55 was built at the Los Angeles assembly plant. I bought it in Wausau WI from a guy who bought it out there to haul his motorcycle back to WI. After the original 6 cylinder died I bought a 62 Chevy from a guy in my home town of Merrill, WI for the engine for my 55. As it turns out the key for the 62 Chevy works perfectly in my 55 Chevy door, trunk and ignition but not in the glove box door for some reason, I have to use the original key in that one only. I still use the 62 Chevy key most of the time as the blank is a cool shape with an emblem type design in it.
Brian