PDA

View Full Version : Getting dad's 55 running and cleanup

Recycled Rumor
05-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Okay boys, I joined the club a few weeks ago and mentioned my old man's car that I inherited. I have finally gotten the time to haul it to Rochester MN where I live and start working on it!

The first thing I wanted to do was drain the old gas because I figured it had turned to varnish, so I disconnected the fuel line after the pump, connected a new battery and flipped the switch. Nothing happened. Instead, I disconnected the fuel line straight from the tank and drained it that way, this worked much better and I should have gone about it that way to begin with. I removed the fuel pump to try and figure out the problem. By connecting it directly to a battery and alternating the polarity, I was able to work it loose. By this time the tank was empty. I reinstalled the fuel pump and bypassed the fuel tank by shoving the fuel line into a Jerry can. I reconnected the battery and crossed my fingers. When I flipped the switch for the fuel pump the pressure raised as it should, I turned in the ignition switch, and turned the key. The engine turned over great, but no fire. At that​ point, I enlisted the help of my wife, I pulled one of the plugs and had her turn the key to see if there was spark, and there was. So, I put the plug back in and gave it another try. This time the engine turned over for about 10 seconds and popped a little. I gave it some more throttle and it sprang to live! I was very excited. This morning I changed the oil and filter and started the car again and let it idle up to temp to test the cooling system. It warmed up to 190 or so and held there, so another success. I noticed that the pro Street tires are dry rotted, so I ordered a new pair of shoes that should be here tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

WagonCrazy
05-14-2017, 06:19 PM
it's exciting to bring an old car back to life. Congrats.
Don't forget to go thru the brake system too.
you'll need it to stop...

BamaNomad
05-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Yep!~ a good rule to follow with cars is to 'Make it STOP before you make it GO!"... :)

Recycled Rumor
05-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Good call. The brakes always were an issue, he never really got it sorted out. I think it may have the wrong type of Master cylinder right now.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
05-16-2017, 04:22 PM
good to see your making progress. good timing too, weather wise. :)

Recycled Rumor
05-17-2017, 06:48 AM
New tires should arrive today. Also, I have an ATF leak that appears to be coming from the front seal, I do not think I have the know how to drop the trans on my own. Luckily, I have a mechanic buddy.

Recycled Rumor
05-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Ooh, went home on my lunch break today and had to try this trick to clean chrome I read about last night using aluminum foil and water, and it worked so much better than I expected! Have any of you tried this before?

Recycled Rumor
05-21-2017, 11:38 AM
New tires arrived and I installed them, I didn't realize that I would have to drop the axel to get it done, so it was a larger protect than I expected, but it is finished now.

567chevys
05-21-2017, 08:01 PM
I love the color of the car ,

Looks sharp

Sid

chevynut
05-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Really nice looking 55 sedan! Looks like you're having fun. ;)

Recycled Rumor
05-28-2017, 01:09 PM
I took the car out for the inaugural ride today, of course it overheated. I looked at the fluid level and it was quite low, luckily I had extra in the trunk. After I added fluid and let it cool down it ran pretty well and the cooling system seemed to be working well. It lingered between 190 and 210 until I got to where I was going and had to sit at idle for awhile and it krept up to 230 or so. So I parked it and waits for it to cool down a little, it wouldn't start until it cooled down to 200 again. Any tips to get my cooling system working better at idle?