PDA

View Full Version : Wootdog's 56 210

wootdog
08-29-2017, 06:25 AM
All,
I have had the 56 210 2 door for two weeks now. Plans are to replace the toe board, full floor, and the trunk floor in the next three weeks. I have to get home first and then get it to the shop to make this happen. Once these things are replaced (a lot of patching done over the years), I then plan to upgrade the front brakes with a disc brake kit. Hopefully it will be a driver sooner than later. it does have a rebuilt 350 and th350 already in it. I do not have any pics of it yet to share. I figured in progress pics soon. I did have to wash it over the weekend before I went on travel. I know it has probably been a long time since it had been washed. I would swear the old car smiled at me when I washed it. I plan on selling some of my other cars to fund this one as required.

Where did you buy your parts for your projects from?

Kerry

NickP
08-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Floors, Woodys Hotrodz, best price I found so far. Your information is lacking your location but, if you live in the Dallas area, they have a warehouse there. If you're close, i.e. 100 or so miles one way, consider picking it up and save a bit on freight.

What other cars are you wanting to sell? I get bombarded with questions regarding where a certain car might be found.

wootdog
08-29-2017, 05:59 PM
Floors, Woodys Hotrodz, best price I found so far. Your information is lacking your location but, if you live in the Dallas area, they have a warehouse there. If you're close, i.e. 100 or so miles one way, consider picking it up and save a bit on freight.

What other cars are you wanting to sell? I get bombarded with questions regarding where a certain car might be found.

I have a 1967 Chevy step side C10 with a 1997 LT1 and 4L60E with Fuel Injection and the computer from a 1997 Corvette. Setup and Engine Tranny combo are from Street and Performance in Mena, Arkansas. Ford narrowed 9 inch and 4 wheel disc brakes.More info upon request. I haven't thought about a price on this yet.

Also a 1979 T Top Z28 in Red with the Z28 Stripes with a Summit 350 Engine and TH350. A/C has been upgraded to R134. I have it up on Craigslist Hampton Roads, Virginia, but I am having problems attaching pics to the add. (I can't do anything about it until I get home Saturday from the business trip). 138K original miles. I have owned this since Oct. 2000. 12.5 k (once I get the pics up on it)

I also just picked up a 1963 Impala 2 door Sport Coupe. It has the 350/350 combo in it. I have replaced the front drum brakes on it to power discs so far. Started replacing the Emblems on the hood and the trunk lid. As well as the Impala logos on the sides and the upper and lower moldings near the headlights on the outside of the front fenders. I have to put the new flags on the rear of the front fenders. Also need to attach the front hood molding when it comes in. The car is a Copper Color with a Gray Hardtop. The old School Mags are green yes green with the machined outer lip. I believe the Color scheme is Miami Hurricane Colors. The Car I have been told last owner before i got it from the Car Lot Owner (A friend of mine) stated the Producer of the Velocity Show Phantom Works had owned it in the past. 10.5K.

Talked to my wife tonight. All the floor metal has come in. I cannot wait for the toe board, full floor and full trunk floor to be welded in. Then I can get hot on the other things and get it on the road. It is going to take time, but I cant wait to make it a driver again.

I live in Virginia Beach Virginia.
Kerry aka Wootdog

busterwivell
08-30-2017, 05:40 AM
I got my 56 as a project, with several things started but none completed. I was lucky, all floor and trunk pans were good. It had spindles from Heidt's, with rotors and calipers from a G-body. Nothing was plumbed. Had a booster and master installed, the rear appears to be from a mid-70's Camaro, kept the drum brakes on the rear. Plumbed it, it brakes just fine. Was a 6 cyl/3 speed car, had no column in it. Now has an Ididit tilt column and a 350/700R4. I rewired the car with an AAW kit, had no wiring in it. That's got me started, it'll drive down the road now, but needs a lot more.

JT56
08-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Keep it up...got some good parts there.

wootdog
09-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Well Ladies and Gentlemen,
The car went into the body shop for the replacement of the toe board, full floors, and trunk floor. In addition he will do all the body work and paint, I am supposedly getting it back in 90 days. I will then have to finish it. Before it went in the body shop, we made it a runner. Had a front disc setup installed and a LOKAR cable/gas pedal setup installed. I put four used wheels with tires I bought on it also. In a week or two, I will get some progress pictures.
Kerry in Virginia Beach, Virginia

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
:cool: sounds good Kerry, exciting times ahead.

wootdog
10-31-2017, 08:10 PM
All,
Not much of an update yet. I did sell the 63 Impala over the weekend. It is on it's way to Florida at this time. The 79 T Top Z28 became a major part of the payment for the metal replacement, body and paint work on the 56. So of course it is now gone also.
Kerry

wootdog
12-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Hopefully you all will see some progress pictures of the floor installation. The Toe Board, and the Trunk floor have not been replaced yet. I was hoping for more progress by now. I do know it takes some time to do the floors.
Kerry8023802480258025

wootdog
12-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Well guys and gals, I screwed up and added a couple of pics of the 63 i just sold mixed in with the 56 floor replacement. I will leave it as is. At least you can see some progress with the floors on this money pit. The body man is supposed to repair and or replace the rockers next. then seam seal everything. Then on to the trunk floor.
V/R
Kerry

wootdog
01-15-2018, 02:08 PM
I am glad I am not a betting type of Man. I knew that 90 days would be cutting it close for all the work that had to be done. And the fact that the Body Shop owner farmed it out to a relative. The progress so far is that the full floors have been replaced, part of the toe boards, and the trunk floor also. One of the two rockers has also been replaced. Supposedly, the other rocker will be replaced this week and then it comes back up to the body shop here to finish the body work. And then finally a paint job. It has been at the Body Guys father in law getting the work accomplished I already mentioned. And of course it is going to take allot longer. I just don"t want it done in a hurry and be half a@@ed. If there is any silver lining, the guy in charge of doing everything was hurting money wise and I ended up scoring a 1973 Mach 1 for a hell of a deal. So I am not mad at all that it is taking longer.
V/R
Kerry

chevynut
01-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Hate to sound like a critic :eek: but why does it look like there's a weld down the middle of the floor? It looks like it WAS a 1-piece Taiwan floor pan since it has E-coat on it. Did they cut it in two to install it? And why does the new floor look all beat up in the rear seat area and on top of the driveshaft tunnel? If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. ;)

55 Rescue Dog
01-16-2018, 04:23 AM
Hate to sound like a critic :eek: but why does it look like there's a weld down the middle of the floor? It looks like it WAS a 1-piece Taiwan floor pan since it has E-coat on it. Did they cut it in two to install it? And why does the new floor look all beat up in the rear seat area and on top of the driveshaft tunnel? If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. ;)
Wow Cnut I finally agree with you! It's a shame he didn't spend thousands more to have his floor made to look better than new, and have a color matched base/clear paint job put on it. Then he could have shown pictures of it all over the internet for a few years before he gets to drive it, only to be covered in sound deadener, and carpet. Then, maybe you would compliment him on great it used to look under the carpet, and taking forever to get his car back on the road.
Good job Woot, you're getting on the road again soon.

NickP
01-16-2018, 05:31 AM
Wow Cnut I finally agree with you! It's a shame he didn't spend thousands more to have his floor made to look better than new, and have a color matched base/clear paint job put on it. Then he could have shown pictures of it all over the internet for a few years before he gets to drive it, only to be covered in sound deadener, and carpet. Then, maybe you would compliment him on great it used to look under the carpet, and taking forever to get his car back on the road.
Good job Woot, you're getting on the road again soon.

Good gawd RD, grow up. It's apparent you and others here don't get along so why don't you do us all a favor and use the private message system available rather than hijacking other peoples threads. Your disdain is noted by all here now retreat to your safe place, get a cup of hot coco and cover up with your blanket. Pushing buttons is not wanted nor is it productive. Grow the site or just be quiet.

55 Rescue Dog
01-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Good gawd RD, grow up. It's apparent you and others here don't get along so why don't you do us all a favor and use the private message system available rather than hijacking other peoples threads. Your disdain is noted by all here now retreat to your safe place, get a cup of hot coco and cover up with your blanket. Pushing buttons is not wanted nor is it productive. Grow the site or just be quiet.
Not sure what your post had to do with the thread either, other than put me down implying to the world I'm a big baby, and defend somebody criticizing a project picture from 1 1/2 months ago. I thought it was great the OP was pushing hard to get his car back on the road again. I hope to on mine too, and it will be far from perfect, but drivable, and will work on the rest while enjoying the ride.

Custer55
01-16-2018, 05:14 PM
I was wondering about the weld seam down the middle as well. Not that it would matter once it is covered by carpeting but it may be a red flag as to the quality of work being done on the car. I would be nervous about a body shop being paid to do something then farming the job out to someone else.

55 Rescue Dog
01-17-2018, 04:14 AM
As far as the weld seam down the middle goes, how is it possible to get a 1-piece floor to get it to fit through the door of an assembled car?

NickP
01-17-2018, 06:34 AM
As far as the weld seam down the middle goes, how is it possible to get a 1-piece floor to get it to fit through the door of an assembled car?

You don't. One lifts the body, lays the one piece floor on the assembled chassis, secures the floor to the frame in the proper manner and lower the body on the new floor. Weld as required.

55 Rescue Dog
01-17-2018, 07:28 AM
You don't. One lifts the body, lays the one piece floor on the assembled chassis, secures the floor to the frame in the proper manner and lower the body on the new floor. Weld as required.
I understand that perfectly, but the obscure point I was originally trying to make, is what do some people here expect the OP to do? Pay someone to rip it all out, buy a new floor, and do it all over again to look pretty? I see someone just trying to make what he has work for a driver, without spending years in the process, right, or wrong.

markm
01-17-2018, 08:21 AM
I understand that perfectly, but the obscure point I was originally trying to make, is what do some people here expect the OP to do? Pay someone to rip it all out, buy a new floor, and do it all over again to look pretty? I see someone just trying to make what he has work for a driver, without spending years in the process, right, or wrong.

I agree like a good friend of mine who has owned his own body shop for over 50 years told me. If you had a rusted mess when you started anything you do is an improvement. This guy has painted many cars for the Darrel Starbird Show in the 70s and has owned dozens of 55-57s over the past 50 years. Sometimes perfection is not possible this car will look and dive fine and probably be on the road again turning heads while others are still polishing parts.

NickP
01-17-2018, 08:24 AM

RD, I guess I need to read between the lines. I'm puzzled as to who within this post said to replace it though.

wootdog
01-17-2018, 08:42 AM
All,
You are correct. The floor was a one piece and when the body guy installed it, he cut it in two and welded both sides in. I am not going to criticize the welding due to the fact that the guy that did it has better skills than I do. And it is not got a lot of rust through like it had before. And of course the sound deadening, carpeting, etc. will cover the floor up hopefully to never be seen again. This is going to be a nice driver. Not a show car. I already have what amounts to one of those and it is allot of work. One step closer to driving it.
V/R
Kerry

wootdog
01-17-2018, 08:47 AM
All,
Let me clarify about the floor. It had allot of patches in it. And they were not done properly. And I also observed some rotting of the floor also. I just figured it would be easier to replace the whole thing since I found it on the internet for less than a grand and it was free shipping. I think I paid around 875.00 for the floor in the first place. I told myself that if I ever scored one of these cars, I would have a good base line for it if it had a good floor.
V/R
Kerry

wootdog
01-17-2018, 08:59 AM
The Body Shop Owner and the other body man are actually Son in Law and Father in Law. They do allot of the jobs together. The father in law does the floors, etc. and the Son in Law does everything else. They have been doing work this way for years.
V/R
Kerry

55 Rescue Dog
01-17-2018, 03:57 PM
You have a good plan Kerry to get your car to where you can enjoy it, and have fun. I could easily fall into the trap of building a car so nice, and expensive that I would never be even want to drive it out of the garage, if ever finished, let alone drive the crap out of it. Done it too many times already taking care of a car I loved, for the next owner to have fun with. Still do with the cars I have now unfortunately, and I should just lease my cars, and drive them like I stole it, everyday! I have one car that will never see a garden hose, besides missing many car events because of a few dark clouds. Sad, but true, and it's not even close to "show quality".

wootdog
01-18-2018, 06:13 AM
According to the wife I have way too many cars anyway. Of course I need to drive them more. We have four that only get driven occasionally and that is with the other two in the shop getting redone. I know but it is a long story. I get rid of them and time goes by and they show back up in the driveway.
V/R
Kerry

BamaNomad
01-18-2018, 07:50 AM
According to the wife I have way too many cars anyway. Of course I need to drive them more. We have four that only get driven occasionally and that is with the other two in the shop getting redone. I know but it is a long story. I get rid of them and time goes by and they show back up in the driveway.
V/R
Kerry

'Homing cars'... :) I like that! :)

I have too many cars also, but only one have I bought twice; between myself and two friends, we've paid sales tax on that car 4 times! :(

chevynut
01-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Amazing how RD has to jump into something that's NONE OF HIS F*ING business and start his normal BS of subtly bashing my project like he always does. For a guy with ZERO demonstrated skills that can't even do the sheetmetal work on his own car, he sure has a big mouth. This is a recurring thing with him, and I think he should mind his own damn business and quit trying to "defend" someone else who doesn't need "defending".

What did I say that was even remotely offensive? If Wootdog didn't like my comments, let him address them.

Custer55 reflected exactly what I was getting at...the quality of the work. The "correct" way to install the floor would have been to raise the body up, put the floor on the frame, lower the body back down, and weld it together. The beat up back portion is unexcusable, imo. I was just bringing it to his attention in case he's never dealt with this kind of work before. I wouldn't accept it, but it's not my car....and it's not RD's car either.

RD sounds like those guys on the other site who look at a guy's pictures of "chickenscratch" welds and comments about how great they are. If you can't say anything remotely critical about someone's work, what good are these forums? Wootdog obviously posted the pics to show some progress on his car, and I assume to get feedback...so I gave him my thoughts on it. It's irrelevant that it's a few weeks after he posted the pics.

But like I said IF WOOTDOG IS HAPPY WITH IT, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS! And it sounds like he's fine with the work that's been done.

chevynut
01-19-2018, 12:18 PM

Isn't that the truth. This is "normal" for the jerk ever since he came here. All you have to do is go look at his posting history....90% of his posts are attacks on me or criticism of my Nomad project. Notice the obscure references to my project that he always throws out? Why does the idiot think he has to "defend" everyone from things that I say? MIND YOUR OWN GODDAM BUSINESS RD!

55 Rescue Dog
01-19-2018, 04:36 PM
True colors

Rick_L
01-19-2018, 05:03 PM
As are yours. Let it go, now.

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:47 AM
Updated pics of the 56 210 post driver...
Kerry

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:48 AM

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:50 AM
third pic

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:51 AM
#4 pic

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:52 AM
#5 other side

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:53 AM
right side again.

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:54 AM
#7 pic

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:55 AM
#8 right side

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:57 AM
The tape that you see was to keep the metal below that still needs work done on it not exposed to the elements. he is supposedly still working on those areas. At least some progress has been made. I now hope it will make more progress by leaps and bounds so to speak.

wootdog
02-25-2018, 05:59 AM
All,
That is it for now. The doors and a trunk lid I have acquired separately now get some work done on them and then they will be installed. Of note, the doors have been patched slash repaired and the trunk lid I acquired is like new.
V/R
Kerry

55 Rescue Dog
02-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Even though it seems endless sometimes, it looks like it's coming along great to me, and I am way behind you. I really want to get on a fast track for a driver too, and then work on the pretty part.

wootdog
04-17-2018, 04:00 PM
i finally got the guy to install the hood and the trunk lid. Slow progress I guess is better than no progress at all. I cannot seem to upload pics on here at this time. If anyone emails me, I can send you the two pictures and maybe you can upload them.
V/R
Kerry