PDA

View Full Version : Outside rear view mirror positioning

chevynut
03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
I bought a pair of new outside rear view mirrors and I want to get them mounted for my mockup. I have considered not having outside mirrors at all, but found that I really do use them quite a bit on my other cars.

I have read a lot of different ways people mount them, but thought I'd post a thread to get some more input since I'm ready to do it. It seems that the most troublesome one is the passenger side. I want to position them the same on both sides, if possible. It doesn't look like my car ever had a passenger side mirror.

Any tips for doing this?

Run-em
03-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Make a template of your mount on the driver's side- flip it over for the passenger side. That way you are sure they will be uniform in appearance. Be sure to clear the wind wing. Don't think anyone is gonna even notice your mirrors, cause you've got so much else going on with your Nomad.

chevynut
03-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks run-em. I'll try that and see how it works. The mirrors came with some dimensions for mounting, but I'm not sure it's going to work on both sides. Good point about opening the wing windows. Looks like I'll need a helper to figure this out, and should mount my driver's seat. ;)

Sal5657
03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Most new outside rearview mirrors come with a template which I have used on both sides. It worked quite well for me. As previously mentioned, before drilling and fastening, make sure you can open the vent window. I like the mirrors and really wouldn't want to be without them.

jim '57
03-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi Chevynut,
My car like yours, never had a passenger side mirror and I like you are not sure what to do.
If I mirror the driver side the vent window bar is in the line of view. So I am considering moving it back some for a better view. I think it would be difficult to tell the difference but not sure enough to drill the holes.
Jim

chevynut
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Jim, that's my issue too. I want either two mirrors or none. I think just one mirror doesn't look right, and I know I used the RH mirror a lot on my other cars. So I guess I'll install the seat, get a helper, and see where they go.

jim '57
03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
What is your opinion on the asymmetry issue?
Jim