PDA

View Full Version : Valve lifter noise after warming up

Flynman
12-09-2017, 02:03 PM
I have a 2006 Chevy 6.0 LS engine in my 56 Bel Air and after warming up and driving for 20 minutes i start to get a lifter/rocker arm tick on the left side. Does not do it when the engine is cold. The rockers just have torque adjustment. The car has sat for a few months before i purchased it this week. Sticky valve lifter?? Any ideas??

Thank you,
Keih R

56Mark
12-09-2017, 03:07 PM
I saw the pics of your car in the other thread, very nice. Have you changed the oil since you got it? If not, maybe that would help. I am a fan of good synthetic oils.

Rick_L
12-09-2017, 03:57 PM
You're right there is no adjustment. It doesn't need it unless the cam has been changed, and you do it by changing pushrod length.

I am with 56Mark, I would change the oil a couple of times before I tore it down to replace lifters. Unless the noise is already really bad.

Troy
12-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Could it possibly be an exhaust leak?

Flynman
12-10-2017, 05:45 AM
Troy I felt around all the joints for the exhaust system and Manifold don't feel any coming from there. I am going to change the oil even though it looks clean but i guess if its been in there a while it could be a little gummed up. I am going to do that today. When I test drove the car before buying there was no noise. That was in Texas and now it's here in S.C. were its in the mid 30's. I will change the oil and filter today and keep you updated. Thanks for the replies.

Keith R

Flynman
12-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Update: Changed the Oil (full synthetic) & Filter and put a few ounces of Seafoam engine cleaner in with the oil. Took it for a 25 mile drive and so far no clacking!! Seems like maybe a sticky lifter!! :)

Keith R

Rick_L
12-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Good result, hope it sticks - bet it will.