PDA

View Full Version : Crate Engine Break-in

Tabasco
12-20-2017, 04:51 PM
I have been looking at 350 crate engines with hydraulic flat tappet cams. I found the GM Performance Start-up and Break-in Procedures on Jegs and Scoggin-Dickey website. Here is a link. https://sdparts.com/attachment/337420-GM%20Engine%20Basic%20Break%20In%20V2.pdf

There are 13 instructions, but no mention of cam and lifter break-in.

Does GM have some way of breaking in cams and lifters on the assembly line? Or are you going to be in trouble for using GM's own instructions?

Rick_L
12-20-2017, 05:49 PM
If it was mine, I'd use the more usual time honored procedure on first startup if it has flat tappets. I.e., get the engine started and run it at 2000 rpm for 20-30 minutes. Set the timing best you can after starting, don't let it run with retarded timing. If you have an automatic transmission, get the fluid topped off right after you set the timing.

After that, you can use their recommendations.

Just my opinion, others may vary.

chevynut
12-20-2017, 09:21 PM
With all the hassle of breaking in a flat tappet cam and the fact that roller cammed crate engines are so common and cheap, why would you not go with a roller cam?

Tabasco
12-21-2017, 06:55 AM
If it was mine, I'd use the more usual time honored procedure on first startup if it has flat tappets. I.e., get the engine started and run it at 2000 rpm for 20-30 minutes. Set the timing best you can after starting, don't let it run with retarded timing. If you have an automatic transmission, get the fluid topped off right after you set the timing.

After that, you can use their recommendations.

Just my opinion, others may vary.

I last did that about 15 years ago. I read the GM instructions to refresh my memory of what to do. I was just surprised that is not in the instructions. I thought maybe GM had some way to break them in now before delivery.

Tabasco
12-21-2017, 06:59 AM
With all the hassle of breaking in a flat tappet cam and the fact that roller cammed crate engines are so common and cheap, why would you not go with a roller cam?

I thought about that but the GM roller cam engines don't have provisions for fuel pump. So there is more hassle and expense and plumbing to add an electric pump. I'm still in the planning stages so I'm just looking at all the options.

scorpion1110
12-21-2017, 08:19 AM
My machine shop's recommendation on break-in was 2500rpm for 10 minutes. Let it cool. Another 10 minutes at 2500rpm. Says this is the recommendation from JGR for an SBC. He also recommended Brad Penn Green Break-in oil for the break-in only. Then replace and run Brad Penn for the first 500. Change again and then normal oil changes.

Its a 283 SBC with dual quads.

markm
12-21-2017, 08:34 AM
My machine shop's recommendation on break-in was 2500rpm for 10 minutes. Let it cool. Another 10 minutes at 2500rpm. Says this is the recommendation from JGR for an SBC. He also recommended Brad Penn Green Break-in oil for the break-in only. Then replace and run Brad Penn for the first 500. Change again and then normal oil changes.

Its a 283 SBC with dual quads.
I have nothing good to say about the Brad Penn oil of today. The name was sold , no longer same stuff. Why would Tokyo Joe not recommend his own break in oil. I hear good thing about it and Renegade both from friends in the motor building business.

chevynut
12-21-2017, 08:59 AM
I thought about that but the GM roller cam engines don't have provisions for fuel pump.

I didn't know that. :eek: