PDA

View Full Version : Tarheel Tornado

Tarheel Tornado
12-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone.
I am new to this site, so let me try to introduce myself. My name is Danny, and my tri-five journey started when I was 11 years old. I turn 60 Monday, so me and the car are the same age. My dad promised that my first car would be a 57, and I took it very serious. For various reasons, that did not happen, but it has always been my dream car. I finally bought my 57 Chevy 26 years ago, and have been sitting on it for all this time. I have always said you need 3 things to restore a car, time, money, and expertise. If you are short on one you better have a lot more of the other 2. I have always been a little short on expertise, but when I had time, I had no money. When I had money, I had no time, but things finally came together recently. I gave up on doing it myself, and turned to some good friends of mine for help. Between the 3 of them they have restored several cars in the past. My car officially went to the shop today. I'm going for a stock look, but upgraded drive train and suspension. She will have a 383 stroker, with a 700R4, and a Ford 9" 3.5 ratio posi rear end. Body is very good, and I already have many new parts, and my drivetrain, so I'm off to a good start. I'm not looking for a show car. I want to drive mine. This is more than just a car to me. It is some unfinished business between my dad and me. Even though he his gone now, I know he will be proud. My goal is to drive it to the Tri-Five Nationals this August. Hope to see you there.

NickP
12-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Welcome aboard!

JT56
12-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the site Danny. Nothing like having a driver! There fun for sure. Post some progess pics

chevynut
12-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the site. Hope the car gets done in time! I know how that goes. :p

BamaNomad
12-24-2017, 09:19 AM
nice story, tarheel... :) and good luck on your schedule!

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
12-24-2017, 03:38 PM
hi Danny and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. I'm sure your dad will be riding shotgun with you.

enigma57
12-25-2017, 03:50 AM
Welcome aboard, Danny! And all the best to you in getting your '57 roadworthy and making the trip. I know from your post that your Dad will be proud.

Merry Christmas,

Harry

567chevys
12-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the site Danny ,

Please post some pictures of the work being done , sorry to hear about dad , I'm in the same shoes.you just have to think that he will be looking down at you and will be proud of you .

Merry Christmas

Sid

Tarheel Tornado
01-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Body work is done, and shooting paint. Engine almost back together, and rear end almost done too. Way ahead of schedule, and looking good. I will try to post some pics, but honestly. I have been very busy with this project. My project manager does not play, and he is very good. It didn't hurt having good bones to start with either.

WagonCrazy
01-15-2018, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the update Danny. While you're at it, a new wiring harness and air conditioning setup would be wise...give you want to drive and enjoy it.