PDA

View Full Version : Quiet

55 Tony
12-31-2017, 05:58 AM
My car is a driver that I work on when I can and for many years it had nothing on the floor but some scrap carpet, then it got some sound deadener and new carpet scraps. This past week I removed the seats and ratchet shifter and extended the sound deadener from the front seat area back to the trunk, added a second layer from the firewall down to the front of the front seat. Some cheap double bubble insulation, and carpet on top. Wow, I can cruise at 50 without having to yell to talk! Also have sound deadener where the back of the back seat goes, and a second layer the same place but from the trunk side. Still have some and after I make a hole for a second rear speaker, I'll add it on top of the rear deck.

I hate doing things like putting holes in the carpet for the seats. It seems to be my nature to screw it up but I got it pretty good. I installed bolts from underneath with nuts up top so the bolts stuck up from the floor, then with the carpet in place cut the holes in the carpet. Worked well except some wrinkles when tightening the bolts. May have to put a spacer or something between the seat frame and the floor. Definitely have to do some cutting around the shifter. All in all it's a big improvement in looks and ride quality. Sort of sounds like a car instead of a machine. I suppose when I install some rubber around the doors, some window seals, the rear side panels and seat, it will make another big difference.

Belair-o
12-31-2017, 06:20 AM
Hi Tony,
Sounds like good progress on making your car even more enjoyable! Like you say, doing the same on the doors should also make a noticeable difference.
Regards, Doug

chevynut
12-31-2017, 08:05 AM
Sounds good Tony. What did you use for sound deadener? I'm at a decision point on mine....don't know if I should try to use the Raammat I have or use Lizard Skin, which I can spray in before paint.

55 Tony
12-31-2017, 12:10 PM
I don't even know what the stuff I used was. It's like black rubber and sticky with a layer of maybe shiny mylar? and a clear on top of that. Tough as nails to tear. I believe it's intended purpose is for roofing. I don't even know how to get hold of the guy who was selling it. Someone who used to call me *friend* on the o zone put me in touch with the guy.

Now before anyone jumps to conclusions. Some nut that sells cheap foam insulation that pops when you squeeze it, and is a sponsor in the O zone, would always tell people that in the heat your car would smell like tar, or that it would melt, but I got some ahead of time and peeled off the backing after it was in the hot summer sun and although it had a slight odor, it wasn't like tar at all, plus that's the adhesive side which isn't exposed anyway. And I drove it through the past summer and never got a hint of odor. Most of the time it didn't even have any carpet over it and it didn't smell. The best soundproofing is HEAVY, and this stuff is heavy! I've heard the Rammat is better than the lizard skin. Although if doing the insides of the doors the spray on stuff sure makes it easy. And if anyone tries to tell you their shiny insulation will reflect heat, run. It only reflects heat if it isn't touching the floor or any part of your car. What I used is shiny, but I knew it wouldn't reflect heat when put between a steel floor and carpet. The bubble stuff I used has an R value of about 1, about the same as the jute like stuff on the carpet, so I have about R 2, double the original factory insulation.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
12-31-2017, 05:16 PM
nice going, you did good Tony. :cool: