PDA

View Full Version : Cold air and cold tires don't mix

55 Tony
12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
My BB always likes cold air, makes her go wild. :p But today going about 30mph I floored it and instead of spinning, gaining speed, shifting to 2nd and spinning a little, it went into 2nd and the speedometer went up to 80mph and I left off. I thought that may have warmed the tires a bit but it did the same thing again. And after installing the insulation and carpet, I didn't even get to check if flooring it still makes it go WOT. I have my doubts. Temperature was about 28° with almost bald street tires. Hope the new ones grip a little better.

Rick_L
12-31-2017, 06:21 PM
It's probably about as much about cold pavement as cold tires. Not to say that new tires won't do better, because they will.

55 Tony
01-01-2018, 05:18 AM
I always thought the tread was just to prevent hydroplaning? That's why slicks don't have tread, more rubber contacting the road?

Rick_L
01-01-2018, 05:31 AM
New rubber is softer than old rubber which is more important than tread or not.

55 Rescue Dog
01-01-2018, 03:06 PM
It mostly comes down to rubber compounds. A lot of summer only tires on new cars say not to use below 45 degrees, or they will crack. Sticky summer tires turn into hard plastic when cold, and winter only tires remain soft at cold temps. I've installed a couple different sets of max performance summer tires that stated on the sticker, not to even mount the tire to the wheel in temps below 68 degrees. If you have crap for tires, that make a big difference too. Tread helps snow/wet traction. Lack of tread helps dry traction.

Rick_L
01-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Huh? Don't use below 68°? Really?

55 Rescue Dog
01-02-2018, 04:30 AM
Huh? Don't use below 68°? Really?
No, that was do not mount the tire to the wheel below 68 degrees, and do not use below 45.
I found the tech sheet, says 68 for mounting, and don't move the car at 15 degrees.
https://toyo-arhxo0vh6d1oh9i0c.stackpathdns.com/media/2456/tsd-17-001-coldweatheradvisory_-10172017.pdf

55 Rescue Dog
01-02-2018, 04:55 AM
The OE tires on my son's Jaguar F-type on not to be used below 45 degrees.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero&frontTire=535YR0P0XLV2&rearTire=93YR0P0XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Jaguar&autoYear=2018&autoModel=F-Type&autoModClar=Coupe

55 Tony
01-02-2018, 05:26 AM
They are worn down to near zero tread, well into the wear bars, and they aren't hard like plastic in the cold. And I don't think they are old enough to have hardened, maybe 3 years? Actually ever since I did burnouts at the track, after any little tire spinning I hear them picking up and flinging little stones.

55 Rescue Dog
01-02-2018, 05:58 AM
They are worn down to near zero tread, well into the wear bars, and they aren't hard like plastic in the cold. And I don't think they are old enough to have hardened, maybe 3 years? Actually ever since I did burnouts at the track, after any little tire spinning I hear them picking up and flinging little stones.
So what tires/size do you want to use if you need more traction assuming that's the goal? What is on there now?

BamaNomad
01-02-2018, 09:40 AM

you can check the tire manufacturer's codes on the sidewall of the tires to see the month/year they were manufactured...

markm
01-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Nothing new here for me, had this all figured out by the time I finished HS. Here is a newsflash for you if you have enough HP you can melt slicks on asphalt even in the summer. Slicks need a properly prepped track to work.

55 Tony
01-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Well damn I guessed close, 0115 date code

chasracer
03-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Yep, I did something similar a few years back. Had a nice set of summer performance tires on the car and simply didn't think about it. Come winter got stuck a bit in the snow coming up a hill, I finally made it but looking at the rear tires a few days later - they were done, tread was gone. I can't even really explain except I was spinning them like crazy getting up that hill. Since then I learned my lesson - on that ride, she gets summer and winter tires now.

57 charlie
03-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Move to az no snow good driving weather all seasons. 57 charlie

chevynut
03-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Move to az no snow good driving weather all seasons. 57 charlie

Yeah along with 7 million other guys most of which are crammed into essentially one huge metro area that's growing fast? No thanks ;) I'm trying to get to Montana.....almost 50% larger than Arizona and only 15% of the population. And not nearly as hot in the summer. :)

Rick_L
03-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Does that Nomad have cold weather tires? Does it matter?

chevynut
03-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Does that Nomad have cold weather tires? Does it matter?

Have you taken that new LS engine out from under the coffee table yet? Does it matter?

BamaNomad
03-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Yeah along with 7 million other guys most of which are crammed into essentially one huge metro area that's growing fast? No thanks ;) I'm trying to get to Montana.....almost 50% larger than Arizona and only 15% of the population. And not nearly as hot in the summer. :)

The Billings MT CNA Convention in 2016 was as HOT as any we've had... approaching 100 each day!~ (CNA convention is always in mid July)... It's always HOT, but I do remember one 'Nomad Day' in Frisco CO that it got freezing cold and snowed! (1987 or 88?)