PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Switch

Johnny
01-24-2018, 11:23 AM

Santa brought me a 55 Bel Air. Okay, so I bought it for myself at Christmas. Living in Montana my garage is like an ice chest so rather than poke around in the freezer, I need help. The back up lights are constantly on. I've done lots of automotive electrical work so I know that's a good sign. It's likely the switch, but where is it and how do I get to it so I can check it? Can anybody help? Also I have two horns and love the art deco steering wheel but no matter where I push...nothing. Assuming I have a fuse box, where is it? If I don't have one, then what is step one in disassembly to get to the horn switch? The horn is an after thought, but as for the reverse switch, I've looked in manuals, on line, even on this forum and nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

BamaNomad
01-24-2018, 12:09 PM
It's located on the steering column, switched by the transmission gear selector...

https://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-back-up-light-switch-manual-transmission-1955-1956.html

markm
01-24-2018, 02:09 PM
I believe back up lights are quite rare on a 55.

Johnny
01-24-2018, 02:59 PM
I did not know they were rare. Huh, cool. I must have something special. But, I know I have them, because they are always on. My steering wheel is very art deco and I saw pictures of a 55 with a flat plain center. It's that because this is Bel Air or is it possible I have a 56 titled as a 55?

Johnny
01-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Thank you. Do I therefore need to remove the chrome plate under the column to get to the switch? (I have a chrome plate that wraps top and bottom around the column). If you need I can shoot a picture.

55 Rescue Dog
01-24-2018, 03:53 PM
While you troubleshoot it, temporally pull the bulbs out, and as for the horns, hook directly to a 12 volt source to see if they even work first. A multi-meter, or even a test light is a must.

Rick_L
01-24-2018, 06:01 PM
The switch is down further on the column from the instrument cluster chrome. About halfway to the floor.

Your car is a 55. If original, it should have a 3 spoke steering wheel with a Bel Air badge in the center. 55-56 Bel Air wheels had the same appearance.

55 Tony
01-24-2018, 07:02 PM
I believe back up lights are quite rare on a 55.

I didn't know that. My car has them and I find the taillights without them look odd to me. I'm used to seeing mine since the 70's so it's burnt into my brain I guess. Although I don't recall ever seeing the factory switch, I have a switch on the ratchet shifter.

chevynut
01-24-2018, 07:45 PM
The horns use a "horn relay" that's on the back of the radiator support on the driver's side near the voltage regulator. All the horn button does on the steering wheel is ground the horn relay coil. Try jumpering that terminal (green wire) on the horn relay to ground and see if the horns work. If they sound, then the problem is between the relay and the horn button on the steering wheel. If they don't work then you can work back from there. You can test the horns by jumpering 12V from the battery to the terminal on each horn. You don't need any fancy equipment to diagnose much of this.

Rocketman
01-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Backup lights were probably pretty common on a BelAir. The flat center on the steering wheel you refer to was possibly on a 150 series which was the bottom line. It just had a button in the center with no horn ring. I believe the wires going to the backup light switch are purple and the backup light switch also serves as a neutral safety switch assuming your car in an automatic. Nice car by the way.

Rick_L
01-25-2018, 05:40 AM
I didn't know that. My car has them and I find the taillights without them look odd to me.

On 55s, they all had the clear backup light lens below the taillight. But most had no bulb or wiring.

55 Tony
01-25-2018, 07:28 AM
On 55s, they all had the clear backup light lens below the taillight. But most had no bulb or wiring.

OK thanks. Now I understand why the solid red lenses look *different*, because they ARE *different*! I rewired it back in the 80's and don't remember if it had back up wires or not before I put them in. That wonderful JC Whitney wire harness had no provision for fuses, got a short and fried itself a few years ago. Luckily my insurance covered it and they paid me very, very well after getting estimates from 2 restoration type garages. They both estimated 40 hours labor. :) Now I have fuses, but I did buy another stupid harness. This time from Painless. It's missing a few important wires I had to add.

Johnny
02-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Good idea. I have a meter. Thanks.

Johnny
02-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Great Tips. Thank you. I am delayed, however since I live in Montana and right now we can store meat in there no problem. AS soon as I get any heat (for us anything at all above freezing, I'll give this a try. Thanks

Johnny
02-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Great Tips. Thank you. I am delayed, however since I live in Montana and right now we can store meat in there no problem. AS soon as I get any heat (for us anything at all above freezing, I'll give this a try. Thanks

Johnny
02-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Thanks! I have a standard tranny. Also, although many would disagree I am trilled to have a straight six. My understanding is that although they were produced in larger numbers, most have been converted to eights. Also I have over drive that I'm anxious to try. I just think this whole car is so cool. Can't wait for the temps to come up toward freezing (Montana) so I can get in the garage and do some work. I like this car so much, I'm selling off other projects this spring to make a proper cruiser for long cross country trips out of this.

Johnny
02-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Just called Ecklers. They want $27.49 for the reverse switch. I see no problem with the price, but I also have seen (ONS) Old New Stock for about $55.00. What I'm wondering is, is there any advantage to ONS? It's electrical so unlike a steering box or other mechanical part I'd think newer is better. Any ideas?

55 Rescue Dog
02-01-2018, 04:32 PM
I would think the new one would be fine, since the NOS switch is 63 years old, and maybe corroded contacts by now.

chevynut
02-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Johnny, where are you in Montana? My brother lives south of Missoula and my wife and I are trying to buy some land in eastern Montana.

Johnny
02-02-2018, 03:48 PM
I have a relative in Missoula. It's a good 5 hours from me. This is a big state. I am on what they call the "High Line." It's the highest line (on a map) running east and west (route 2), the next East West being in Canada.

Johnny
02-02-2018, 03:55 PM
I think I found the switch. It's on the top curve of the steering column located under the dash and just before the fire wall. It is riveted by one hole both sides. I can grind off the rivets, but I have no idea where they'd end up inside the column (I hope they'll fall out). As for the next guy who maybe does this repair, is there some procedure for replacing it using something other than a rivet?

I still need to test the switch. Does this sound right: I intend to just pull the two plugs and see if the light goes out. If yes, the switch is stuck on. I can't test it yet though, because its about ten (10) degrees F in my garage. Not good for the wires so I'll wait for a much warmer day.

55 Rescue Dog
02-02-2018, 04:36 PM
I think I found the switch. It's on the top curve of the steering column located under the dash and just before the fire wall. It is riveted by one hole both sides. I can grind off the rivets, but I have no idea where they'd end up inside the column (I hope they'll fall out). As for the next guy who maybe does this repair, is there some procedure for replacing it using something other than a rivet?

I still need to test the switch. Does this sound right: I intend to just pull the two plugs and see if the light goes out. If yes, the switch is stuck on. I can't test it yet though, because its about ten (10) degrees F in my garage. Not good for the wires so I'll wait for a much warmer day.
Maybe before you do anything, just hose it down with some silicon spray lube to see if you can free it up, assuming that's the issue. Warmer temps would be more effective too.

Rocketman
02-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Thanks! I have a standard tranny. Also, although many would disagree I am trilled to have a straight six. My understanding is that although they were produced in larger numbers, most have been converted to eights. Also I have over drive that I'm anxious to try. I just think this whole car is so cool. Can't wait for the temps to come up toward freezing (Montana) so I can get in the garage and do some work. I like this car so much, I'm selling off other projects this spring to make a proper cruiser for long cross country trips out of this.

You can put a set of Fenton headers with Smitty mufflers on that car and it will purr and talk to you. I remember the ones my brother had on a 54. Sweet. The overdrive should give you some pretty good gas mileage. Nice car.

chevynut
02-03-2018, 09:40 AM
I have a relative in Missoula. It's a good 5 hours from me. This is a big state. I am on what they call the "High Line." It's the highest line (on a map) running east and west (route 2), the next East West being in Canada.

I'm familiar with the "high line" as I've bowhunted elk in the CMR around Fort Peck Reservoir. Are you around Malta?

If I were you I'd just unplug one of the backup light wires from the switch. That should tell you if the switch is bad and imo I wouldn't worry about the cold. Just start up the car and let it warm up inside. :)