PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Chevy Nomad front eyebrow , Fender & door Spear

567chevys
01-26-2018, 09:48 PM
Hello Gang .

Has any one seen the new 55 Nomad front end, fender & spear chrome made from Stainless steel sheet Metal ?.

I had a Friend call me last night & ask me if I have heard if its any good ?.

Thanks Sid

NickP
01-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Manufacturer?

chevynut
01-27-2018, 08:49 AM
I've never heard of such a thing :confused:. I'm skeptical they even exist and I can't find anything on the internet about them. There are reproduction cast ones from either brass or aluminum.

Rick_L
01-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Even the aluminum and brass ones have been nonexistent at times. Don't know the current status.

Also seems like the eyebrow would almost have to be a casting.

Florida 57
01-27-2018, 09:02 AM
The link to the manufacturer was posted on THAT other site.

BamaNomad
01-27-2018, 09:31 AM
I've never heard of such... Post a link if you can, or something... My suspicion if you read something on the other site, it was from a 'misinformed' poster...

The cost of making stamping equipment for these 6 pieces would be very expensive for the small numbers of cars that might purchase the parts...

Florida 57
01-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Kindig had a set made for the 55 Nomad build.

BamaNomad
01-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Kendig isn't a manufacturer.. and nothing he might do on one of the cars they build would surprise me. I watched that show, recall them discussing some problems with the Nomad chrome, but don't recall it being 'solved' by making stainless pieces. I just looked for a video of the program to rewatch it, but couldn't find the entire show.

Florida 57
01-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Actually KINDIG is a manufacturer, just not of the Nomad trim.The trim for the show was done at a foundry from brass.

https://www.kindigitapparel.com/collections/kindig-it-parts/products/classic-spoon-style-door-handles-by-kindig-it-design

BamaNomad
01-27-2018, 01:51 PM
I thought this thread was concerning some mfg making 55 Nomad chrome stamped from *stainless*.... ie. OP wrote in part:
"Has any one seen the new 55 Nomad front end, fender & spear chrome made from Stainless steel sheet Metal ?"
------------------------------
and Florida 57 posted: "The link to the manufacturer was posted on THAT other site."... and later followed up with ... "Kindig a set made for the 55 Nomad build." .. and later stated the Kendig set was made from 'brass'...
---------------------

No one is questioning that various people have reproduced (by casting) the '55 Nomad 6-pc chrome set in brass, and aluminum, and even in Zinc (pot metal) once upon a time, but no one has put forth any credible data for 'someone' mfg'ing it by stamping stainless steel. I doubt VERY seriously if that has ever been done...

567chevys
01-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Hello Gang .

Has any one seen the new 55 Nomad front end, fender & spear chrome made from Stainless steel sheet Metal ?.

I had a Friend call me last night & ask me if I have heard if its any good ?.

Thanks Sid

Here is how it went

The reason I am looking for you is to ask you a question about 55 Nomad eyebrows and Spears. I have seen some very nice ones being sold by Hamlett's chevy parts They are 100 % Stainless. Do you know who these folks are ? Have you seen any of them yourself ? Any of your friends ever purchase any ?

chevynut
01-27-2018, 02:13 PM
This thread reminds me of the MANY threads where a guy asks "I have a 55 with disc brakes, blah, blah, blah...what tires will fit?" and everyone has to tell him what size tires they run on their car without mentioning wheel offset, what their wheel mounting width is, what suspension or steering mods they've done, or any other pertinent information, nor do they ask the poster for the information required to help him.

Sid asked about "stainless sheet metal" Nomad eyebrows and spears. I have yet to see anyone post a link to anyone who makes them. I looked on the other site and can't find the thread that supposedly mentioned them.....anyone got a link?

567chevys
01-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Here is the rest of his email

don't shoot the messenger,

I was just asking

I know many have tried cast brass , aluminium but who knows whats next ?

Thanks Sid

3900.00 for the full set. A fiend of mine is looking for some. I still have my 55 Nomad. It's spears and eyebrows are good.

chevynut
01-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the pics Sid. The eyebrows are obviously cast.....cast Stainless? I can't tell about the spears but they don't look like sheetmetal to me either. They look like nice parts to me, but don't know how they fit.

567chevys
01-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Here is the one that tried to cast in Brass ,

I have tried to contact him but nothing Back , He might had Gave up

I think his name was Bill Hunt ??

http://www.northgeorgiapattern.com/55-nomad-trim.html

chevynut
01-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Sid, I can't find those parts anywhere on their website.

http://hamlettschevy.com/epages/325f0f32-7e10-445a-a515-a602dbbf7d95.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=Categories

567chevys
01-27-2018, 02:23 PM
I have No clue Cast stainless or sheet Metal

That's why I posted the first Thread my friend asked me and I can not tell him so I thought I would asked the group .

Thanks Sid

567chevys
01-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Yep I know

I have looked for 2 Days

Maybe new Items

Sid

Rick_L
01-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Thread at the other site, a guy said he recently bought some brass eyebrows from North Georgia pattern. From his website, looks like his main business is casting patterns, and Nomad deal is a side business.

BamaNomad
01-27-2018, 08:06 PM
TODAY one can purchase decent to nice 6-piece '55 Nomad chrome in either aluminum, or Brass. (~ $3500 to $4500 respectively) already chromed. The brass is nicer but *heavy* (North Georgia fella); the aluminum is very decent but doesn't fit perfectly (or so I'm told) but neither did the originals fit perfectly and tightly to the fender...

If anyone needs a set, let me know by PM and I'll put you in touch with a good deal.

Rick_L
01-29-2018, 07:06 PM
Can you say who makes the aluminum set? Do they have a website?

Is your "good deal" OEM pieces or one of the aftermarket suppliers?

BamaNomad
01-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Can you say who makes the aluminum set? Do they have a website?

Is your "good deal" OEM pieces or one of the aftermarket suppliers?

No, I can't say as I don't know them, but I've a friend who can sell either the aluminum set or the brass set; I think the person who makes the aluminum set is in Colorada? or in that vicinity (I talked to him around 10 yrs ago when he had some of the aluminum blanks). My friend who can sell those has owned somewhere between 50-60 Nomads, and does some buying/selling, more so in his younger days. If you are interested in a set, I can give you contact information for my friend...

The maker of the brass set is in Georgia... These are both reproduction pieces, but if I didn't already have a nice set for my car, I'd look seriously at the aluminum parts (due to price and weight). I don't like the idea of the weight of the brass pieces, although I'm told they 'fit' better, and of course will last forever... no pits.

I do have ONE NOS eyebrow which I would sell/trade... drivers side if I recall correctly.

chevynut
01-30-2018, 06:30 AM
The guy in Colorado used to make brass ones....I believe his name was Bill Hunt and he lived only about half hour from me in the mountains. I talked to him once on the phone but don't remember why I even called him :). I don't know if he's still around or if he's still making the parts. Maybe someone else is casting them in aluminum, or Bill decided aluminum was cheaper and better if he's still making them. I had a good friend who owned a casting shop in town, but he died a couple of years ago. If he had access to a good stock set I'm sure he could have made some replicas. The guy did some nice work reproducing rare parts for other cars.