PDA

View Full Version : VIN TAG Show us your stamping on you tag

567chevys
02-11-2018, 12:27 PM
I'm Getting ready to Remove the body of the frame and open my door and looked at the Vin Tag

One of the Nicer stamped tags I have seen in the last 4o-45 years

Thanks Sid

LEE T
02-11-2018, 12:49 PM
That looks very nice Sid, most of them have scratches, but I sold a car about a year ago with a similar tag.

BamaNomad
02-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Yep, over 60 yrs and many owners (and idiot body shop workers) just SANDED the door jambs and right over the VIN tags, and probably painted over too ... to the point that they can't be read! :(

NickP
02-11-2018, 03:47 PM
I'd be cautious about displaying your VIN. Unscrupulous folks have a tendency to steal this data.

chevynut
02-11-2018, 05:42 PM
I'd be cautious about displaying your VIN. Unscrupulous folks have a tendency to steal this data.

And what, exactly, is the risk Nick? I see guys blotting out their license plates in pictures and I just don't understand it. If they wanted to see my license number all they have to do is come to my house, drive along with me, or see it in a parking lot. I guess I don't understand the paranoia about it.

NickP
02-11-2018, 06:53 PM
And what, exactly, is the risk Nick? I see guys blotting out their license plates in pictures and I just don't understand it. If they wanted to see my license number all they have to do is come to my house, drive along with me, or see it in a parking lot. I guess I don't understand the paranoia about it.

No paranoia at all.

Rick_L
02-11-2018, 07:14 PM
I don't see any need for paranoia over a VIN number, at least on a 55-57 - because that alone can't link you to a particular car, body style, etc.

I do see why some would be concerned over a license plate # or other way for a scammer or thief to id the location of a car they'd want to steal or steal the identity of (i.e., offer for sale at a ridiculously low price without owning it or being able to actually sell it). But the chances of this happening with only knowing the VIN or license plate number are pretty small.

We don't need the FBI and CIA to protect our car sale activities yet - oh wait they couldn't do that anyway these days.

chevynut
02-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Like I said, a thief has plenty of opportunity to get your license plate number and state. Just out of curiosity I looked at Good-Guys.com and there's tons of pics of cars with the license plate showing. One interesting thing is that in CO you are required to have both front and rear license plates, but a lot of the cars don't have the front one....I don't plan to put one on my Nomad and my Porsche hasn't had on in the 17 years I've owned it. :geek:

But even if they got your license plate number, how would they track it down to you? The DMV won't disclose personal info from a license plate number....it's against the law. At a Goodguys event you put your name and city/state on the window tag...that's worse than showing your license plate!:eek:

Or if you end up getting featured in a magazine, they put your name and where you live in the article. It's easy to find your house from that info.

BamaNomad
02-11-2018, 08:16 PM
And automobile VIN s have been REQUIRED to be visible outside the car (ie. thru the windshield) since '68 or 69.. federal requirement...

567chevys
02-11-2018, 09:28 PM
This is Kind of funny

if you go to other sites there are Vin # all over the web

When I posted it I was trying to show how nice it was stamped. This car hasn't been on the road since 1976

Here are some other Vin Tags that I was comparing it to

Thanks Sid

55 Tony
02-12-2018, 05:32 AM
Sid, yours looks like it was painted, then buffed off and polished at the same time. Maybe I'll stick something in a drill and try to polish mine. Mine was only on with 1 spot weld, now it has that spot weld and JB Weld. That blue one you posted looks like the paint was taken off it with a nail file.

chevynut
02-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Here's mine right now....lol

Florida 57
02-12-2018, 01:47 PM
VIN tags were made of inexpensive stainless as a magnet will stick to it.To polish on the car start with 600 grit and if that does`nt take out deep scratches go to 400, then 600.Emory compound on a semi firm wheel for a high RPM drill.Tape off edges if car is painted.Never leave tape on paint for long periods of time as you run the risk of pulling paint upon removal.Always pull tape slowly and on an angle.

BamaNomad
02-12-2018, 08:08 PM
If you look closely, you'll see that the actual 'sequence number' portion of the VIN stamping is generally very lightly stamped... so whatever you do, ensure that you don't make those number illegible... Personally I would NOT sand on the VIN plate... My '56 Nomad had been painted over, and I double masked around it, then used lacquer thinner on a cloth - several times - to remove the hardened paint).. then manually polished with polishing compound...