PDA

View Full Version : DISC BRAKES.. that make no dust....

Run-em
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Take NEW rotors and have them cryogenically frozen (ONLY use new rotors -as used will have taken a heat set). This freezing is in liquid nitrogen for 12 hours. Let them warm to room temp over 6 to 12 hour period. This changes the molecular structure of the metal and much smaller particles will be worn off during braking. Smaller particles plus air flow equals no dust on the wheels. Use a good quality non-dust making brake pad such as Porterfields. The cryogenic process is good enough for NASCAR stockers. Lastly use ArmourAll's formula wheel protectant for keeping wheels clean. Apply and let dry in a hot sun.

Have done this on a Mercedes Benz & you all know how badly they dirty their front wheels. With this process, those Benz wheels just have to be cleaned once a year. Oh yeah, the car has over 100,000 miles on the brake discs & pads and they still have over half the life left. So it is actually cheaper to do this than run stockers.

jim '57
03-30-2012, 04:52 PM
I have to let you know that I strongly doubt that this will work. It changes the molecular structure without changing the over all structure?
I drive a Mercedes and it doesn't dirty the front wheels any more than the half dozen Hondas I have owned.
Jim

Run-em
03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, doubt it if you will Jim, but I own that MB SLK with the wheels that don't get dirty. Read up on Porterfield pads and the cryogenic process. It changes the micro-crystalline structure---so that the particles worn off come off in much finer particle size. Take a handful of sand and a handful of powdered sugar, drop them in an open area with a 10 mile per our wind. Which handful lands near you? Which one would be attracted to a magnetic source (those particles that come off are ionized or charged) such as the wheels? The particles that would land near you would have a greater chance of sticking to a charged surface.

If I'm lyin" I'm dyin" as the old saying goes. Besides I'm lazy & don't like cleaning wheels.

jim '57
03-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm not suggesting that you are lying, just gullible.
Jim

chevynut
03-30-2012, 07:05 PM
The dust is mostly from the pads, not the rotors. If you get the right kind of pads, they will create very little dust.

BTW, I have a Silverado with 137K miles on the original brakes. Where do I get another set like that???? WOW!