PDA

View Full Version : QA 1 shocks????

Run-em
04-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Any one have any experience with these on their 555 ?

chevynut
04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
What's your question about them? Most of my C4 customers are using them on my recommendations, since they're easy to source. With the right spring rate, they should behave no differently than any other spring and shock. But they're adjustable and tunable.

Run-em
04-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Was wondering how they last. Since they are rebuildable, how expensive when that occurs. You know, just anything in general to help determine if I purchase.

chevynut
04-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Good questions Max. I have Aldan shocks on my car, but they haven't even been on the road. I bought them about 10 years ago when I just started working on my frame....I think the gas charge is out of them. So I plan to call Aldan and see what it costs to "refresh" them. I think the same could happen with any shock sitting around.

I think in general these shocks are built better than the "regular" shocks on cars today. That said, I would bet they last 50,000+ miles if not more. How much do you drive your car? I have people ask me how I plan to get to my hidden brake reservoir....this is a car I'll drive maybe 2000 miles a year, so why would I need to do that unless something major goes wrong?

I think the big benefit is the height adjustment. You can get adjustable damping QA-1 shocks that are non-coilover too, and they are rebuildable. If you like your car's ride height and spring rate, I don't see the benefit of coilovers.