PDA

View Full Version : Greg and 1955 chevy 2 door

55chevysedanX4
03-11-2018, 04:05 PM
I am new here I just stumbled onto the site but am looking to share my journey of rebuilding a car I probably should not have bought. I have owned 4 of these and built a couple but always let them go due to babies, moves taxes etc. Here is what I started with.

chevynut
03-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Welcome to the site, and thanks for stumbling in! :)

TrifiveRichard
03-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Welcome Greg, you say you’ve built a couple. That’s good, because it looks to me like you have your work cut out for you! Enjoy!

bigblock
03-12-2018, 08:23 AM
welcome to the site, I don,t feel so bad now about the work I have to do to my 56. When I show my wife maybe she will cancel my doctor's app. to have my head checked:D

567chevys
03-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the better site ,

Looks Like a Big project but at least you see what you got and whats needs to be done , Nice its a 2 Dr .

Please post pictures of the process of bringing in home and the build Process.

Thanks Sid

chasracer
03-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Welcome! When you feel like you're up against the wall and nothing is going right just jump on here and ask for some help, advice or maybe just a beer! :twisted:

Best of luck!

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
03-12-2018, 03:35 PM
hi and welcome. good to have you here.

Rocketman
03-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Welcome. You are a brave man. I love the 55 2 door sedan. What kind of plans do you have.

NickP
03-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Welcome aboard!

55chevysedanX4
03-13-2018, 12:43 AM
Welcome. You are a brave man. I love the 55 2 door sedan. What kind of plans do you have.

Plan is to finish frame and suspension I have all the parts but need to brace the body first I bought a complete floor that I will attach to the frame then finish the toe boards. Now I am working on lower hinge pockets and other rust areas. 2 inch drop in front. I have finished the fenders and on me fenders and new grill headlights and turn signals as well as radiator cradle. I can include a picture.sorry I can not attach from phone will do so when I get home.

enigma57
03-17-2018, 03:13 AM
Welcome aboard, Greg! You have quite a job there. Wish you all the best and will follow your build with interest.

Best regards,

Harry

55chevysedanX4
03-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Thanks it is good to hear from you. I know I have a huge job ahead of me but I am doing all that I can myself to try and save this car. I am saving to buy a large compressor and then I plan to buy some metal some 4X4 posts and 2 chain falls to raise the body up ( or what is left of it ) to get the frame sandblasted. Paint it attach my new floor board to it and then put it back under the body. I have a lot to do but if I stay after it a few hours a day it will be done in the 4 year goal that I have. take care and G-D bless

55chevysedanX4
04-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Did some hammer and dolly on the deck lid and DA'd it. Now ready to do some Rage.

chevynut
04-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Rage ON! :)

56Safari
04-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Welcome... Glad to see I'm not the only one with a rusty pile that needs a lot of attention around here :D. Looks like you're already making some great progress though.... I set a 5 year goal to build a driver, and I know I've already missed that boat... Keep up the good work

55chevysedanX4
03-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Got some work done today on the chevy.

BamaNomad
03-02-2019, 07:01 AM
Observable progress! That is what gets it done... :)

55chevysedanX4
03-03-2019, 08:29 PM
did some welding today I still need to fill some pin holes and do some hammer and dolly work. 95939594

55chevysedanX4
03-16-2019, 02:43 AM
I got the shifter back from the rebuilder. It cost me 200.00 to get it rebuilt but I only paid $75.00 for it to begin with. It was missing a couple of parts so I am glad I did it. 9613

55chevysedanX4
03-23-2019, 06:00 AM
Got this in the mail yesterday and it should make my life a whole lot easier.9624

scorpion1110
03-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Greg-

I really like this project. And your work looks great.

Way to bring one back.

Scorp

55chevysedanX4
03-23-2019, 10:13 PM
A few more goodies for the car. 9626962796289629

55chevysedanX4
03-24-2019, 07:51 AM
Now all I need is a garage squad.

WagonCrazy
03-27-2019, 07:11 AM
You're making great progress Greg. Keep at it and thanks for posting the pics. Gives the rest of us inspiration..

Custer55
03-27-2019, 10:03 AM
Keep at it. Looks a whole lot better than what you started with already.

55chevysedanX4
03-27-2019, 10:25 AM
I have a chance to buy another frame for reasonable price that I think I am going to do. That way I could put the floor boards and trunk floor on the frame before I raise the body and put it on the frame, wheels and floor boards. I also could get it blasted and painted and I already have all of the frontend parts powder coated. What do you think?

markm
03-27-2019, 04:24 PM
I am reluctant to change a frame unless its damaged because the right thing and only legal thing to do is get an assembled title.

55chevysedanX4
03-27-2019, 07:12 PM
I have a rebuilders title and the frame horn is badly damaged and I suspect the frame may be bent. Vin is intact on the body.

567chevys
03-27-2019, 07:44 PM
As long as Vin is intact you are in great Shape,

I have sold many frames. The Washington State Patrol Here only Care about the Vin Tag , If it looks like its been mess with then you might run into some problems, just Get a Bill of sale with the frame to cover your Butt
Sid

chevynut
03-27-2019, 07:47 PM
Most of these cars have frames other than what they were built with. Mine has had two different frames after the original one. Nobody cares about the VIN on the frame so it really doesn't matter unless your state is picky about it. Most states don't care about the frame VIN and when you have a VIN inspection in Colorado all they look at is the VIN tag on the body. There are tens of thousands of these cars with frames other than the original, all perfectly legal.

55chevysedanX4
03-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Most of these cars have frames other than what they were built with. Mine has had two different frames after the original one. Nobody cares about the VIN on the frame so it really doesn't matter unless your state is picky about it. Most states don't care about the frame VIN and when you have a VIN inspection in Colorado all they look at is the VIN tag on the body. There are tens of thousands of these cars with frames other than the original, all perfectly legal.
That is what I thought that many times the number on a frame was only looked at if it was suspected to be stolen. Also I am aware that other than original frames are used on many cars.

markm
03-28-2019, 06:04 AM

Most, please verify the source of that information. Here they normally go no further than door plate unless its riveted or otherwise missing or altered. I would love to see your state polices response to your stupid comments. I have it first hand, what correct procedures are when changing frames.

BamaNomad
03-28-2019, 06:43 AM

MOST?? of which cars? the cars owned by TriFiveChevys members? Maybe... we could do a poll ...? I have six Trifives; five of them are still on their original frames (I only removed the original frame on the current project '57 Nomad to install a Corvette corrections chassis).

Chevy built almost 6 Million cars in 55-57; it would not surprise me to believe that nearly 1 Milion still exist! I certainly do NOT believe that MOST remaining '55-57 Chevys sit on non-factory original frames; I suspect the number might be 5-10% at MOST...

55chevysedanX4
03-28-2019, 06:45 AM
I went to my state inspection at Colorado state patrol vin inspection in gOlden Colorado and I had the frame vin numbers exposed that I showed to the officer. Ten minutes later he came back and said there was a problem that he needed to see the vin plate that is attached to the body. I pointed the the plate on the A pillar and he wrote it down and a half an hour later I had paperwork in hand for a builder title. My understanding is that a frame number is more for if they suspect a car is stolen. As well if it is against the law to have an other than original frame are all the people using art Morrison frames law breakers?

BamaNomad
03-28-2019, 07:02 AM
There are many WRONG ways, a few 'right' (or OK) ways, generally oNe Best way to do about anything. You're right in that the purpose of the FRAME partial VIN is to verify the VIN on the car in cases where the stated/documented/titled VIN is suspect (as in a stolen car question?). When the cars were newer, this was probably more often, or the only cases where the frame vin was actually checked.

Nowadays, after many (over 60 yrs) of swaps, junk yard rebuilds, etc, it's generally a good idea for a buyer to check the frame VIN to verify match to title or registration before purchase (Just to be safe!).

It IS possible to swap out a frame for another original frame (ie. in cases of collision frame damage?, etc) and be perfectly legal but one needs to be able to prove legal ownership (purchase) of the FRAME (and it's partial) as well as for the original car. The exact procedure for this 'frame exchange' and what happens to the title paperwork etc varies by state.

When I did my frame update, I documented the original VIN plate on the car and the partial frame VIN on the original frame I removed via photographic evidence. Before I SOLD the original frame, I XXXX'ed out the partial VIN to ensure it could not be used to title some other car in another state. I also have my purchase paperwork for the new frame to prove legal ownership of that. I have considered stamping in the vehicle VIN on the new frame (but I haven't yet done that since I don't want to complicate the situation any further).. :)

When it comes to my Registration of the car in my state (Alabama), I don't think it's in my interest to mention the updated chassis (unless they ask to see the frame VIN)!

chevynut
03-28-2019, 07:59 AM
Most, please verify the source of that information. Here they normally go no further than door plate unless its riveted or otherwise missing or altered. I would love to see your state polices response to your stupid comments. I have it first hand, what correct procedures are when changing frames.

You think you know the laws in every state? LMAO! All they looked at on my Nomad in Colorado was the VIN plate. At the time it was sitting on a gasser frame I build that was not original to the car. You're pretty stupid to think every state handles VINs like you claim Kansas does. I'm sure lots of states look right past a riveted VIN tag, since a lot of newer cars have riveted tags. We have cases on this site with cars with riveted tags that had no problem with getting the car registered in their state. I've never heard of a builder's title in Colorado but that may be a recent thing to address titling "junk" cars that are going to be rebuilt. Every state is different.

Please cite or link the law in any state, especially Kansas, that requires the frame to have the original VIN number. If they do, it's pretty damn stupid for a 60 year old car. So post the law or you're FOS. I'm not saying the frame VIN CAN'T be used on some vehicles, as my son got a title for a 37 Chevy that was missing the body VIN tag by using the frame VIN. But I've never seen a law that says both the frame and the body have to have the VIN on them.

I think a lot of what you guys are saying is heresay, and not the law. It's not the law unless it's written into a statute.

55chevysedanX4
03-28-2019, 07:59 AM
BamaNomad Thanks for the input and I will photograph and document my old frame and get a bill of sale for the different frame that I plan on using.

chevynut
03-28-2019, 08:10 AM
I went to my state inspection at Colorado state patrol vin inspection in gOlden Colorado and I had the frame vin numbers exposed that I showed to the officer. Ten minutes later he came back and said there was a problem that he needed to see the vin plate that is attached to the body. I pointed the the plate on the A pillar and he wrote it down and a half an hour later I had paperwork in hand for a builder title. My understanding is that a frame number is more for if they suspect a car is stolen. As well if it is against the law to have an other than original frame are all the people using art Morrison frames law breakers?

You tried to title a shell for a 55 Chevy, pretty much a scrapped out partial car. I'll bet that if the car was driveable, all they would have looked at is the a-pillar VIN tag. You probably shouldn't have even mentioned the frame VIN.

markm
03-28-2019, 10:38 AM
You guys can do what you want, but I have a friend that works for the state patrol and hear stories of cars bought out of state being impounded. I don't know or care was the law is everywhere, but do know the correct procedures for my state. This is not the proper place to debate those rules. Anyone considering a frame swap should first visit with their local authorities rather than internet loudmouth's. You know what they say about "I read it on the internet it must be true".

55chevysedanX4
04-30-2019, 11:31 PM
latest update

BamaNomad
05-01-2019, 06:23 AM
uhoh... :) ... I don't think those pix are the 'latest update'....? ;)

chevynut
05-01-2019, 06:58 AM
You guys can do what you want, but I have a friend that works for the state patrol and hear stories of cars bought out of state being impounded. I don't know or care was the law is everywhere, but do know the correct procedures for my state.

That was my exact point. You "might" know the law in your state, but you still haven't cited it or proved what you said. Just because a "cop friend" told you something doesn't make it a fact. I've heard a lot of BS from cops that's simply not true, and not in the statutes. So post the law or as far as I'm concerned it's just hearsay. And your laws don't apply in every other state anyhow. I'm betting that if you have a body VIN tag virtually every state will accept it. Especially on a 60 year old car.

And Bama, I'm betting more than 10% of these cars that are left have frames other than what they left the factory with. Most of these cars have been rebuilt from the ground up and frames are regularly swapped, if only for another original one. Not one of mt C4 conversion customers from all over the country has ever worried about the frame VIN.