PDA

View Full Version : Nomad hinden hinge

1FNNOMAD
03-24-2018, 09:09 AM
New here guys. Wanting to do a set of hinden hinges on a nomad I'm building. I've looked quite a bit but came up with nothing so far. Any good ideas on doing this? I've had a friend tell me he thinks that a 2008-12 GM truck ext cab door hinge may work. I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks

56Mark
03-24-2018, 05:21 PM
Take a look at this thread.
http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/5425-Tri5-door-hinges-modified-for-wires

Edit: BTW, Welcome to the site

BamaNomad
03-24-2018, 05:24 PM
I thought he OP was referring to 'hiding' the lower tailgate hinges (which is something that HAS been done before). From the factory, the hinges are 'outside' the body skin...

NickP
03-24-2018, 06:18 PM
I thought he OP was referring to 'hiding' the lower tailgate hinges (which is something that HAS been done before).. from the factory, the hinges are 'outside' the body skin...

I'd have to agree.

56Mark
03-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Ah, yep, after re-reading, I think you are right.

Florida 57
03-24-2018, 07:07 PM
The 55 Nomad that Kindig built (TV show) had cool hidden tailgate hinges that his design guy built from alumn.

1FNNOMAD
03-25-2018, 03:24 AM
Yeh talking about the rear gate hinge. Was looking at the trunk hinge on a 57 convertible I've got in the shop(that's forsale also) and something like that might work out great,at least for mock up then have a billet piece machined

NickP
03-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Yeh talking about the rear gate hinge. Was looking at the trunk hinge on a 57 convertible I've got in the shop(that's forsale also) and something like that might work out great,at least for mock up then have a billet piece machined

From a design concept, there are some very cool hidden hinge ideas in the home building arena. https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/jako-design-275-h-x-0875-w-concealed-single-door-hinge-jkde1227.html

MP&C
03-26-2018, 05:48 AM
IIRC Mike (Mad Mooks) did this mod to a 56 Nomad he used to own. He may be able to shed some light...

MadMooks
03-26-2018, 05:05 PM
I used a universal set of hinges from a place called rocky hinge . It took me many hours to do this. I did it 12-14 years ago I can’t remember. I just sorta dove into it . I really can’t say if the hinges I used were the best but I made it work . Don’t have a lot of pictures because it was the pre-iPhone days.

chevynut
03-26-2018, 08:55 PM
The difficult thing about doing hidden hinges on a tailgate is that you have to make them pivot behind the tailgate, in about the stock location. That means that you can't use just a hinge with two levers and a pin. It has to be a more complex assembly. The tailgate has to pull away from the body and clear the tailpan at the same time. It's not as simple as it seems. The Kindigit hinges were pretty cool, but I couldn't really tell how they worked. I'm a mechanical engineer and I don't recall ever learning how to design hinges like those used for hoods and such, where there is complex motion going on. I designed my own hood hinges but it took a combination of many drawings, calculations and trial and error to get them to work correctly. I thought about trying to design some tailgate hinges but I figured it would take me another couple of years to finish the car. :D