PDA

View Full Version : plasma cutters

bigblock
04-03-2018, 11:27 AM
I was wondering what make and model plasma cutters most of you guy's use and in your shops, and are they the best way to cut off body parts? My mig I decide to buy was a Miller 211,betweeen the car and general welding I think it best serves my needs. Thanks:)

markm
04-03-2018, 11:34 AM
I have Thermal Dynamics 38XL, no longer state of the art, but better than nothing.

Rocketman
04-03-2018, 03:18 PM
I have the 40 amp one from Eastwood. I haven't used it much yet. I just played with it cutting up and old mower deck and then welding pieces together with the Eastwood 275 amp Mig Welder. It seems to work pretty good and I bought it on sale. I think they are both going to do what I want them to do. If I was running a shop I would probably go with Miller. I did find out Mig welding is not as easy as it looks in the utube videos.

NickP
04-03-2018, 05:52 PM
I was wondering what make and model plasma cutters most of you guy's use and in your shops, and are they the best way to cut off body parts? My mig I decide to buy was a Miller 211,betweeen the car and general welding I think it best serves my needs. Thanks:)

I have two 625 Millers, one is a suit case the other a larger one but same capacity. Actually, I'd like to sell the larger of the two.

chevynut
04-03-2018, 05:57 PM
I have a Miller Cutmate 375 and it serves my needs well. I don't even think they make the one I have anymore....the new ones are much smaller. I have used the heck out of it nearly every day for years and the only problem I've had so far is that one wire broke inside the torch from all the flexing there. I had to get a new torch/hose setup for it.

56Safari
04-04-2018, 04:58 AM
I went with the Hypertherm Powermax 45XP, so far so good. I purchased the model with the CPC port because I would like to eventually build a CNC table for it. The only ones I have heard complaints about are the ones with the built in air compressors. Miller has a $100 rebate on the 375 plasma cutter right now. Miller Spring Rebates (https://www.millerwelds.com/build-with-blue-rebate?utm_source=ealert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=buildwithbluespringsavings&utm_term=image&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Miller18042E_BuildwithBlue_Q2_E-Alert&utm_content=Miller18042E_BuildwithBlue_Q2_E-Alert+Version+A+CID_307af9b91e9bc60ed352a9f37034c0 a6&utm_source=Campaign_Monitor). I Really wish they had that $500 rebate available on the diversion 180 when I was shopping for my TIG.

bigblock
04-04-2018, 08:38 AM
I was looking at the Hypertherm 45xp but for the money I'm leaning towards the Thermal dynamics sl40 with a 20'ft torch. I think it has the cap. range I need?

56Safari
04-04-2018, 09:51 AM
I was looking at the Hypertherm 45xp but for the money I'm leaning towards the Thermal dynamics sl40 with a 20'ft torch. I think it has the cap. range I need?

I'm guessing you're referring to the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 with the SL40 torch? It appears to have the same material thickness capacity as the Powermax45, and for almost half the price of the hypertherm that looks like a good deal. Only other things you might want to compare between the models would be warranty, IPM, and duty cycle. The main reason I went with the hypertherm was because I do plan to build a CNC plasma table when space and time align.

bigblock
04-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Yes 56Safari you are right, hit the wrong button. I will look closer at the specs. I have alway's told my wife when she comments on the price of tools it only costs a nickel more to go first class.

56Safari
04-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Here's a good chart from Baker's gas and welding. (This is where I bought my plasma, shipping did take about 1.5 weeks FYI, not a dealbreaker for me though).

https://www.bakersgas.com/media/catg-section/Plasma_Comparison.jpg

Also, you might want to compare the Kerf width of the machines at the given material thickness you plan on working with the most. though I believe most of the new machines are pretty comparable.

bigblock
04-05-2018, 07:53 AM
56 I looked at the Specs. a lot closer and thanks for pointing them out. It seems that all the sites sale the 45xp for the same price. The duty cycle and KW output is the best on the 45. Know I need to decide between 20' or 50' torch. I'll let you guy's know what I decide?

chevynut
04-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Know I need to decide between 20' or 50' torch.

I can't imagine what you would need a 50' torch for. I think 20-25' is plenty. These things are fairly easy to carry around and I wouldn't want to deal with 50 feet of hose. But it all depends on your shop setup. One thing to consider is whether you want to use 110V or 22V. My Miller 375 allows you to use both and I use it on 110V 99% of the time. Same with my Miller 211 MIG, you change the adapter on the end to use 110V. You may not always have 220V available where you want to use it.

bigblock
04-05-2018, 09:25 AM
CN that's way I thru that in there to get a reply from guy's that use them a lot. Thanks.

56Safari
04-05-2018, 11:06 AM
I can't imagine what you would need a 50' torch for. I think 20-25' is plenty. These things are fairly easy to carry around and I wouldn't want to deal with 50 feet of hose. But it all depends on your shop setup. One thing to consider is whether you want to use 110V or 22V. My Miller 375 allows you to use both and I use it on 110V 99% of the time. Same with my Miller 211 MIG, you change the adapter on the end to use 110V. You may not always have 220V available where you want to use it.

Exactly what he said... Dual voltage is nice too, according to the chart both the miller and the victor cut master are both dual voltage.

bigblock
10-05-2018, 07:09 AM
Well I finally got off my dead a** and bought my plasma cutter , I bought the Hypertherm 45 XP. While I was there I also bought a Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln has a $499 rebate on that machine right now till Nov. bringing the price down to $999.00, with the rebate I bought a Lincoln Viking welding hood, now I have to get busy!! I'm going to try posting pic's as I go so I will be asking a lot of questions if a can't find a already post about it. Thanks in advance to all the knowledge you guy's provide.:):)