PDA

View Full Version : LS Accessory Drive Systems... Questions, comments, feedback...

BamaNomad
04-05-2018, 08:58 AM
(Relocated this post from the 'Good Morning thread' at the request(?) of the Thread police)... :)

I've been on the phone with Holley tech support several times, trying to get enough information on their LS accessory drive kits to know what to order (between the 20-131, 20-137, and 20-185) OR try to find the best GM numbers to order...

If any of you have used any of these kits I'd love to hear about your experience. I'd like the components to be 'tight' to the block, which is what the 20-185 provides, but also not to protrude farther towards the front (and the rad/fans/etc).

My car is a '57 Nomad, stock firewall, sitting on a custom aftermarket chassis (Billy Dawson frame), with an LS1 from a 2001 Camaro Z28 / 4L60E...

BamaNomad
04-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Following are the comments between myself and 'bluegrasstrifive' regarding the holley kits; moved from the Good Morning Thread....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BluegrassTrifive response:

I was looking at that last night. That’s weird since thats the bigger worry point. I think I’ll call their tech line and ask about it. I really like the look of the mid mount setup though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BamaNomad reply:

Bluegrass... I agree, Holley's website has some good information on their systems, but only the 20-185 includes the longitudinal axis dimensions...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Bluegrass Trifive http://www.trifivechevys.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php?p=45201#post45201)
Yes,the balancer is the key on the spacing, It’s a little confusing but if you go on Holley’s website their documentation is excellent and explains the differences with many pictures and also gives you the Holley,GM, and other part numbers for all the pieces involved including AC comp,PS pumps,Alt, idlers etc. It’s the best resource I found when I was getting ready to buy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BamaNomad replied:
My LS1 came from a 2001 Z28 Camaro, and thus the balancer and original accessories were on the 'middle' position for the belt. I think Corvette engines have the 'closer' positioning for the belt (closer to the engine). Does that mean that all the components are farther back towards the engine? What would I have to change on my LS1 to use the 'corvette spacing'?? (I need as much room as possible between engine components and radiator.. I have the AutoRad system for support/rad/condensor/fans/etc... )

Is it the crank pulley/balancer that establishes the positioning? Would changing out my crank pulley allow a closer positioning of the components? (Still learning all these LS details)..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BluegrassTriFive replied:

I’ve got to the 20-137 style setup with the shorter Corvette spacing.It went on with no major problems and I have no big concern with it. The new 20-185 mid mount looks cleaner in my opinion but looks like it protrudes a couple inches further forward. If that’s not a problem for your setup and you don’t mind paying the extra bucks I’d probably go with it.

BamaNomad
04-05-2018, 09:15 AM
I talked to Holley Tech Support today, and after consultation with the product manager for the 20-185, I was told the following:

o The 20-131 and 20-137 systems utilize the stock LS water pumps/crank pulleys with different *spacer plates* for the various GM engine configurations (ie. Corvette, Camaro, Truck).

o The water pump 'snout' for the Corvette configuration is 5-3/8" from the block and for the Camaro it's 3/4" farther forward (6-1/8") and for truck LS 3/4" more (6-7/8") from the block. For comparison the 20-185 Holley design water pump is 7-5/8" from the front of the engine block.

o To change my Camaro configuration to the Corvette configuration and get more space (for the 20-13x systems) would require changing both the crank pulley/damper and the water pump to the corvette parts.

I'm still undecided as to the way I need to go... Maybe with the dual fans, the protruding water pump snout for the 20-185 (at 7-5/8") would not interfere with the fans as it should be between the fans. What do you fellas think?