PDA

View Full Version : Brake stumper

Randells57
04-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Ok I am Stumped. I have a disc/drum set up. I have been trying to bleed the system, after putting new calibers on the front. When I pump the pedal I have no air. Then hit the brake after bleeding I have no pedal, but it will pump up. Let off the pedal, wait a few seconds and hit it again and goes to the floor. pump the pedal and it will pump up again. It will not have a pedal unless you pump it up. I am lost I have never had a brake system do this----HELP

chevynut
04-30-2018, 08:20 AM
Welcome to the site. Did the brakes work correctly before you installed the new calipers? Was it drum brakes before the new calipers? What else did you change in the system?

Rick_L
04-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Check to see if the pushrod between the pedal and master cylinder (or booster) has preload. If it does, adjust until the pin goes in without moving the pushrod fore and aft. If you have a booster, check to see if the pushrod between the booster and master cylinder has preload. It should have 1/64" - 1/32" clearance. Either one prevents the master cylinder from getting new fluid from its reservoir. When that happens, you don't expel any air/fluid when you open the bleeder, and the result is the symptom you have.

Randells57
04-30-2018, 09:05 AM
It had disc on it before, the system is the same except for the calibers and the braided hoses

Randells57
04-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Thanks I will check that

NickP
04-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Thanks I will check that

Bleeders are up top, right?