PDA

View Full Version : Mecum Nomad Auction

LEE T
05-20-2018, 10:48 AM
This 56 restomod sold last night for $214,500
http://hot-cars.org/2016/09/29/custom-built-1956-chevy-nomad-wagon-wanderer/

MadMooks
05-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Yep that was Jim’s. He had a lot of money in the car . Very nice car .

chevynut
05-20-2018, 05:06 PM
This one sold at B-J a couple of years ago for $275K.

https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1956-CHEVROLET-NOMAD-CUSTOM-WAGON-178675

https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/178675/178675_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

chevynut
05-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Nice car but it's certainly not "lowered 6"". I've always wonder how you run an engine with those stacks and without an air filter on them. I guess you screen out the bugs and don't worry about the dirt. ;)

p.s. there's a pedal missing. :D

55 Tony
05-20-2018, 06:23 PM
All that money and no tires? I just don't understand the whole "restomod" mentality. Who ever came up with the smooth firewall idea that the sheeple seem to love? The squarish straight lines don't "flow" at all with the natural curves of the car. The setback for the engine looks really stupid. Maybe since people like flat things in the engine bay, they should make the inner fenders that are big flat triangles, yep, that's a must! Get rid of those curves, they are too close to the motor. Hell, make the whole car rectangular with right angles, then you can really call it a "shoe box".
Yes, I'm in a bad mood tonight.

OLKY55
05-20-2018, 06:53 PM
I saw it in person at the Tri-Five Nats. I thought the interior was outstanding.

chevynut
05-20-2018, 07:33 PM
All that money and no tires? I just don't understand the whole "restomod" mentality. Who ever came up with the smooth firewall idea that the sheeple seem to love? The squarish straight lines don't "flow" at all with the natural curves of the car. The setback for the engine looks really stupid. Maybe since people like flat things in the engine bay, they should make the inner fenders that are big flat triangles, yep, that's a must! Get rid of those curves, they are too close to the motor. Hell, make the whole car rectangular with right angles, then you can really call it a "shoe box".
Yes, I'm in a bad mood tonight.

LOL! Like it or not, that car is worth many times what your car is worth Tony. His wheels and tires are worth almost as much as your car! :p You and a couple of others here are stuck back in the 60's and can't seem to pull your heads out of ... that era. Times change and tastes change. Most guys want a restomod classic, not an original car or one that's still using 60's technology. They want "updated" but "old" styling and all the comforts and power. Carbs are out as are 15" wheels.

My car has a smooth firewall with "angles" and "flat" inner fenders under the hood. Everything is hidden. I think the stock firewall looks like crap with most engine combos because it's asymmetrical. The stock wiper motor is an eyesore and wires in the stock location look like shit. Even stock hood hinges look like crap imo. You can plate or paint them but it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Most of the stock stuff is just functional, and ugly. I'll bet my home-built custom under-hood sheetmetal and custom hood hinges attract more attention than any stock ones that all look the same. And larger wheels are where it's at today. To each his own....build yours like you want to. Nobody will care.

55 Tony
05-21-2018, 05:46 AM
LOL! Like it or not, that car is worth many times what your car is worth Tony. His wheels and tires are worth almost as much as your car!

It's not about worth or cost, it's about an antique car and trying to make it look like a new car. And under the hood, something from the Jetsons. I just find it odd that's all.

The best things in life are free.

NickP
05-21-2018, 06:15 AM
Decisions. Life is full of them; some good and some bad. Regardless of the direction of the choice, it's the personal choice of the decision maker - some choices will be debated for the life of the choice because it may not fit others and their personal likes or dislikes. Much like art, which some seem to have no use for, viewers of the completed piece will have varied opinions of the work. For me, it's a personal thing and for what it's worth, I choose to find the good in all of it. The piece may not give me pleasure but in all cases, will, give pleasure to others and that in of itself is good enough for me.

55 Rescue Dog
05-21-2018, 06:40 AM
It is like way too many overdone show cars with way too much lipstick, that serve no function. The tires, and wheels were a total waste of money on that car, and the car is not designed to be driven hard, or even driven. Low, show, and slow.

55 Tony
05-21-2018, 06:50 AM
It is like way too many overdone show cars with way too much lipstick, that serve no function. The tires, and wheels were a total waste of money on that car, and the car is not designed to be driven hard, or even driven. Low, show, and slow.

I agree. If someone gave me that car, I'd drive the hell out of it. Have some fun. What's the sense in that motor if it's not going to be used? Probably a trailer queen. May as well put it in a glass box so it doesn't get dust on it.

markm
05-21-2018, 08:37 AM
I actually agree with you 100% Tony , I have several buildings full of cars and not a show car in the bunch. However most of them have made passes down the 1/4 or 18 and are turn key.

LEE T
05-21-2018, 09:48 AM
There are many people that have very expensive cars built just for show, and don't plan on driving them much at all, and others who just want to drive a rat rod and do nothing to make it look better. Then there is (us) inbetween these two groups of people that just want to fix a car our own way and enjoy it. This hobby is very versatile and there is room for everyone, so I just don't know why there is this obsession that makes you guys want everyone to like the same thing you like. They spend their own money to build---or have built---what ever they want, so live with it.

I thought it was good news that the nomad brought such a bid somewhere away from the high rollers that go to the BJ auctions.

56Safari
05-21-2018, 10:14 AM
This hobby is very versatile and there is room for everyone, so I just don't know why there is this obsession that makes you guys want everyone to like the same thing you like.

I concur... if everyone liked the same thing this world would be a pretty boring place... I'm all about modernizing older vehicles and introducing newer technologies, but I still appreciate a period correct "hot rod"

markm
05-21-2018, 11:10 AM
I challenge any of these guys to drive their car 125 miles on a 98 degree day, race it that night, lean on it and drink beer until 2 a.m. in the motel parking lot, attend car show next day and drive it home that night. Been there done that with several of my cars CC Nats, Power Tour, Super Chevy etc.

55 Rescue Dog
05-21-2018, 04:56 PM
If I was ever shopping for a the fastest, coolest new car on the planet, and they wasted money on polished, billet, high dollar hood hinges, I could easily walk right on bye.

55 Tony
05-23-2018, 04:56 AM
If I was ever shopping for a the fastest, coolest new car on the planet, and they wasted money on polished, billet, high dollar hood hinges, I could easily walk right on bye.

Yes, those hood hinges caught my eye also. Again, they don't go with the flat firewall at all. And yes I know everyone can do what they want to do with their cars, and I have the right, and a trifive group on which I'm allowed to voice my opinion. Just as anyone can voice their opinion about my low budget build that I normally drive more than I work on it.

Gmvette
12-19-2018, 08:00 AM
You have to understand a Nomad like that green 56 was never intended to drive it. The car was built to win shows. Not to be driven on the street. That is a different type of ownership. I recognize that for what it is, a piece of jewelry. I’m not saying that is what floats my boat. But somebody’s boat. I try to make my cars nice but not jewelry. I want them to be drivable real cars. Yes my cars are detailed chassis but not chrome bling. Just well done clean cool cars no excess chrome. Understand the more ya drive them and the more the use you put on them is going to show as some form of degrading. But why the hell have something you can’t use? Enjoy your car how ever you want.

TrifiveRichard
12-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Nice car but it's certainly not "lowered 6"". I've always wonder how you run an engine with those stacks and without an air filter on them. I guess you screen out the bugs and don't worry about the dirt. ;)

p.s. there's a pedal missing. :D

this is how I've done it with individual runner Hilborn on the 66 chevy II I recently built....

Matter of fact, they came from a guy making them in your neck of the woods Laszlo

BamaNomad
12-19-2018, 01:39 PM
You have to understand a Nomad like that green 56 was never intended to drive it. The car was built to win shows. Not to be driven on the street. That is a different type of ownership. I recognize that for what it is, a piece of jewelry. I’m not saying that is what floats my boat. But somebody’s boat. I try to make my cars nice but not jewelry. I want them to be drivable real cars. Yes my cars are detailed chassis but not chrome bling. Just well done clean cool cars no excess chrome. Understand the more ya drive them and the more the use you put on them is going to show as some form of degrading. But why the hell have something you can’t use? Enjoy your car how ever you want.

I totally agree! Bless you Gmvette.. :)

Troy
12-19-2018, 02:02 PM
LOL! You and a couple of others here are stuck back in the 60's and can't seem to pull your heads out of ... that era. Times change and tastes change. Most guys want a restomod classic, not an original car or one that's still using 60's technology. They want "updated" but "old" styling and all the comforts and power. Carbs are out as are 15" wheels.

Cnut, I don't want a a trifive that runs on a computer, and has a corvette suspension (restomod) if that's what I wanted I'd buy a Corvette (or a Mustang like my wifes) I'm gathering parts to "update" my '55 for safety and reliability, newer engine, power disk brakes, power steering, ect ect. What I want is that feeling that I had when I was a kid driving this car all over the west. I want to enjoy the old times from the past. I don't have the money or time to do what you're doing with yours. I wish you'd stop putting the people that have different tastes, ability, and money down!

chevynut
12-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Cnut, I don't want a a trifive that runs on a computer, and has a corvette suspension (restomod) if that's what I wanted I'd buy a Corvette (or a Mustang like my wifes) I'm gathering parts to "update" my '55 for safety and reliability, newer engine, power disk brakes, power steering, ect ect. What I want is that feeling that I had when I was a kid driving this car all over the west. I want to enjoy the old times from the past. I don't have the money or time to do what you're doing with yours. I wish you'd stop putting the people that have different tastes, ability, and money down!

So to you it's okay for these guys to bash cars that aren't like yours or theirs, but when I point out it's not what most people want today that's bad? Read the post by Tony that started all of this. The FACT is most guys nowadays want modern drivetrains, suspensions, and comforts.....cars that look classic but have modern performance and features. That's why there's so many new frames and upgrades on the market. That's why guys like Kindigit, Foose, and many others are making big bucks. Anyone can slap together a stock car and make it run. Some of you guys want to "go back" to your youth....I want a cool car that drives like a new one. Just don't badmouth my choices.

scorpion1110
12-20-2018, 04:20 AM
So to you it's okay for these guys to bash cars that aren't like yours or theirs, but when I point out it's not what most people want today that's bad? Read the post by Tony that started all of this. The FACT is most guys nowadays want modern drivetrains, suspensions, and comforts.....cars that look classic but have modern performance and features. That's why there's so many new frames and upgrades on the market. That's why guys like Kindigit, Foose, and many others are making big bucks. Anyone can slap together a stock car and make it run. Some of you guys want to "go back" to your youth....I want a cool car that drives like a new one. Just don't badmouth my choices.

I read this post CN and I don't disagree but dont fully agree either.

Theres no right or wrong or standard on what guys want. Its individual taste. The word "Most" probably could be avoided and replaced by "Many". Resto-mods remain a strong trend but its tempered. The stuff that Kindig and Foose do is amazing, outrageous and intended to attract attention. Each incredible build needs to be surpassed by the next build and the TV factor is strong.

Also, how much is the desire for modern components a result of convenience? It sure is easy to log on, go to Jegs, click a few times and have a GM crate in the garage in a week. Morrison frame? Point click, pick your stuff and it will be here before you know it. BTW, I won't click on that crate engine- I build my own. Why incur the ridiculous cost of self-building? Because I will always care more than the guy getting paid to throw one together for some nameless customer.

The hobby will always be about individuality, capability, availability and budget. And like politics guys will always strongly argue their position and complain when someone disagrees.

Even you right? How many times have you taken the opportunity to bash guys running carbs rather than FI?

Its ok, but remember the door swings both ways. There is room at the table for traditional hot rodders, resto modders, restorers and guys running carbs.

Scorp

LEE T
12-20-2018, 04:32 AM
Looks like a lot of original restorations and resto mods at Barret Jackson next month, including the green 56 nomad wanderer on Saturday Jan 19
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1956-CHEVROLET-NOMAD-CUSTOM-STATION-WAGON-225992

BamaNomad
12-20-2018, 06:53 AM
I read this post CN and I don't disagree but dont fully agree either.

Theres no right or wrong or standard on what guys want. Its individual taste. The word "Most" probably could be avoided and replaced by "Many". Resto-mods remain a strong trend but its tempered. The stuff that Kindig and Foose do is amazing, outrageous and intended to attract attention. Each incredible build needs to be surpassed by the next build and the TV factor is strong.

Also, how much is the desire for modern components a result of convenience? It sure is easy to log on, go to Jegs, click a few times and have a GM crate in the garage in a week. Morrison frame? Point click, pick your stuff and it will be here before you know it. BTW, I won't click on that crate engine- I build my own. Why incur the ridiculous cost of self-building? Because I will always care more than the guy getting paid to throw one together for some nameless customer.

The hobby will always be about individuality, capability, availability and budget. And like politics guys will always strongly argue their position and complain when someone disagrees.

Even you right? How many times have you taken the opportunity to bash guys running carbs rather than FI?

Its ok, but remember the door swings both ways. There is room at the table for traditional hot rodders, resto modders, restorers and guys running carbs.

Scorp

HEAR HEAR!! Outstanding post Scorp... :)

Troy
12-20-2018, 07:08 AM

Cnut, Never bad mouthed your build you're building a very nice car. It's just that you always rant about carburetors, old suspensions, old school stuff. Some of us like that, some don't. When I go to shows around here (NORCAL) Good guy's, Billet Proof, local shows I see far more cars like what I want then what you're building. I think people like nostalgia and can't afford a build like yours. I love the look of gassers, but I can't come to building mine like that. I say build what you want and don't criticize and put down ours.

Rick_L
12-20-2018, 10:49 AM
I personally get really tired of people bashing each other's preferences, no matter what they are. Or telling me who likes what the most. Or criticizing a vehicle that's obviously well crafted but not your style. Like your stuff? Great, but don't tell me I have to like it. Goes both ways, as proved right here in this thread.

WagonCrazy
12-20-2018, 04:44 PM
I personally get really tired of people bashing each other's preferences, no matter what they are. Or telling me who likes what the most. Or criticizing a vehicle that's obviously well crafted but not your style. Like your stuff? Great, but don't tell me I have to like it. Goes both ways, as proved right here in this thread.

Amen brutha.

bigblock
12-21-2018, 06:28 AM
You kids play nice or Santa's going to bring you some coal.:D

Troy
12-21-2018, 07:31 AM
You kids play nice or Santa's going to bring you some coal.:D

If I get some coal that would be great!!! I never get anything.:)

567chevys
12-21-2018, 08:54 PM
I'm working on my 55 and bought a Fuel Injected 502 ,
I started to install it and I had 2 Friends stop in and said Sid everyone is doing that now days.
So The next week I went and bought this , It what Floats my boat and Yes its going to Have 2 Carbs

scorpion1110
12-22-2018, 04:41 AM
I'm working on my 55 and bought a Fuel Injected 502 ,
I started to install it and I had 2 Friends stop in and said Sid everyone is doing that now days.
So The next week I went and bought this , It what Floats my boat and Yes its going to Have 2 Carbs

Sid it floats mine too. Now that's a hot lick.

Scorp

bigblock
12-22-2018, 07:47 AM
Sweet!!!!

royk
12-22-2018, 08:03 AM
I like that Sid.

markm
12-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Multiple carburation is cool.

Gmvette
01-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Chances are the hood will not close......

OLKY55
01-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Bold. I like that.