PDA

View Full Version : Small steering wheel

LEE T
06-09-2018, 03:38 AM
There seems to be a problem with installing a new small steering wheel on an original steering column, in that it leaves a big gap.
I don't currently have one of the small wheels, and haven't even seen one up close, so does anybody know if something on the bottom of the new wheel can be machined off to close the gap.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/from7/Forum%20photos/43c01cbc-7181-4e0a-8e13-808a4e80a659_zpsug1srj5r.jpg

55 Tony
06-09-2018, 04:48 AM
I have a Grant small wheel, one they carry at most auto parts stores and it doesn't have a gap like that. Hard to see in the pic, but if that is the part that gets narrow and the wheel bolts. Here is a link, I'm talking about the black part in this link. It has to have a gap since it turns with the wheel, but the gap on mine is much smaller.
https://www.autozone.com/steering-wheels-kits-and-accessories/steering-wheel-installation-kit/grant-steering-wheel-installation-kit/792549_0_0

LEE T
06-09-2018, 05:19 AM
Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear what kind of wheel, its the original looking small wheel.

Belair-o
06-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Hi Lee,
Maybe these images of my small stock wheel help. I don't see that there is anything to machine off to close the gap.

The column in your pic is completely stock (not shortened)?
Regards, Doug
8862[8861

chevynut
06-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Isn't the stock column housing adjustable relative the the steering shaft on these cars? I thought you could loosen the firewall and dash clamps and move the outside of the column around a little.

LEE T
06-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Thanks Doug, that is helpful. I stole the picture off the internet to show the gap, and all the other ones I've seen are about the same. I called East Coast Chevy and they said that is the way it is with that wheel and an original steering column. I was hoping someone had some good news about it.

chevynut
06-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Since the column is attached to the body, and the steering box and shaft are attached to the frame, how did the factory take care of the variability in alignment between the body and frame? From what I can tell the body can move around 3/8" or more.

chevynut
06-10-2018, 09:48 AM
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/images/55csm0906.jpg

LEE T
06-10-2018, 12:07 PM
I don't have a new small wheel to check, all I know is what I have heard and seen in pictures. The center part might be smaller, is all that I can think of.

Rick_L
06-10-2018, 12:13 PM
It would be easy enough to measure and compare the back side of the hub if you had a stock wheel and one of those small wheels on hand. Thing is knowing it's different may or may not tell you whether you can fix it if it's different.

If it is different, that would be a failed job of making a Chinese copy, right?

chevynut
06-10-2018, 12:19 PM
So why doesn't the column adjustment procedure I posted work? I don't see why it won't address the problem with the gap shown in the original picture.

Rick_L
06-10-2018, 01:11 PM
It does work if there is nothing in the way. Common problem and fix with a stock column and stock type wheel.

chevynut
06-10-2018, 02:17 PM
It does work if there is nothing in the way.

So is there something in the way on these smaller steering wheels? I thought they were supposed to be a bolt-on and were the same as stock other than the diameter. Maybe "supposed to" eluded them. ;) I'm not familiar enough with them to know how they go together and what might be in the way. Surely it could be fixed somehow if there was.

Rick_L
06-10-2018, 04:09 PM
I don't know. Lee T brought it up, first I've ever heard of it. On the other hand needing to slide the stock outer column upward is pretty common.

I don't like the look of the little "stock" wheel anyway, plus I see complaints about fit and finish. A stock wheel center with a slightly smaller 60s rim is a lot more appealing for me.

markm
06-10-2018, 04:15 PM
I find the small stock wheel's unattractive, so I went with a 59 Impala wheel on my 56,

Rick_L
06-10-2018, 05:49 PM
To me the Impala wheel is timeless good style, it's what I have too.

chevynut
06-10-2018, 07:57 PM
This is the one I'm using. Bought it a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago thinking I'd need it soon. :D

https://www.good-guys.com/hotnews/wp-content/uploads/IMG_7218-450x300.jpg

LEE T
06-11-2018, 03:13 AM
I don't know. Lee T brought it up, first I've ever heard of it. On the other hand needing to slide the stock outer column upward is pretty common.

I don't like the look of the little "stock" wheel anyway, plus I see complaints about fit and finish. A stock wheel center with a slightly smaller 60s rim is a lot more appealing for me.
I don't know either, that's why I brought it up, so has anyone ran into this problem?

Belair-o
06-11-2018, 06:24 AM
I don't know either, that's why I brought it up, so has anyone ran into this problem?
Hi Lee,
I had issues on closing the gap, but that was because I shortened the stock column, because I installed a CPP power steering box. I bought a shortened steering shaft: it was too long, and helped cause the gap. I ended up taking off some of the end of the shaft to close the gap, did a little trimming on the rag joint, and a little work on the firewall, so that my automatic shifting bracket would allow the shifter tab to work properly. I had to play with those three factors (and as CNUT said, adjust the column toward the driver), to get the gap proper.
I didn't measure any differences on the back of the small wheel, vs. the original wheel. Is the column in your pic shortened, associated with an aftermarket PS box install, I wonder?
Regards, Doug

LEE T
06-11-2018, 09:50 AM
I don't have the small wheel and the picture i posted is just one off the internet. When I look on ebay and notice a car with that small wheel I always see the larger gap and that is why I called East Coast Chevy to ask them about it. It seems to me that there must be some obstruction on the bottom of the hub, so I thought maybe what ever keeps it from coming closer to the signal housing could be removed.

Belair-o
06-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Hi Lee,
I just remembered something else I did. The wheel didn't go down on to the steering shaft as far as it should have, so I filed the taper on the shaft below the spines (a bit at a time), and finally got the wheel fully seated on the steering shaft.

Then I had to do the other steps I previously posted. Part of the issue was the wheel is likely 'from the land of not quite right' as far as fitting the shaft, and then the rest of the problem was the switch to the CPP box and rag joint, and shortening the column. In the end, I closed the gap between wheel and housing to spec, and am able to column shift the TH350 I have. Took a lot of tinkering, and installing and pulling the column, as I tested the full fit of the assembly.
Regards, Doug

LEE T
06-12-2018, 02:45 AM
Hi Lee,
I just remembered something else I did. The wheel didn't go down on to the steering shaft as far as it should have, so I filed the taper on the shaft below the spines (a bit at a time), and finally got the wheel fully seated on the steering shaft.

Thanks Doug, that is what I suspected, its good to have it confirmed.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.