PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air with a 4 inch recessed fire wall?

pfrankie
06-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Hello Trifivers,
Has any one installed the Vintage Air sure-fit in a 55 with a 4 inch recessed fire wall? I have the Real Deal 4 inch recessed fire wall and was wondering if the VA Sure-Fit will fit with the recess.

chevynut
06-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the site. Have you asked RDS? The stock firewall is recessed about 4" in the center. I think it will fit but I'd ask RDS or maybe someone here has done it. It ALMOST fits on a firewall I built for a 392 HEMI in a 55 Chevy with a recess 36" wide and 4.5" setback in the center. The problem was the width.

pfrankie
06-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Hi Chevynut,
I've been a fan of yours for years. You have amazing skills and it shows in your work.
RDS does say the VA SureFit will fit. I bought the VA mock-up and it does go in but rests on the recess. VA says the brackets delivered with the mock-up are NOT the same as those that come with the kit (???). I suspect with some shimming or standoffs, I can get it to work. I was hoping to get feed back for a member that have 1st hand experience.

chevynut
06-14-2018, 12:44 PM
DO you WANT to change the firewall? Or did you already do it? I think it should fit. If you can make the mockup fit you can easily modify brackets if it doesn't fit with the ones that come with it. I made a different bracket for the dash side that fit better on mine.

pfrankie
06-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Let's say I'm committed to the recessed fire wall, but not welded in yet. I've read a lot of good about the VA and even though I rarely use AC, everyone tells me I will use it in a closed car. (I like open windows and the top down.)

Bluegrass Trifive
06-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Let's say I'm committed to the recessed fire wall, but not welded in yet. I've read a lot of good about the VA and even though I rarely use AC, everyone tells me I will use it in a closed car. (I like open windows and the top down.) The Real Deal Steel firewall is made by Hotrod Dynamics. The Vintage Air unit will fit but I’m not sure how easy with the supplied brackets. I know from talking to them that they have some brackets they sell that they say are much easier to use. If you visit their website you can see lots of pictures of the firewall install including the Vintage Air hvac unit. I’ve found it very helpful when using several of their products.

chevynut
06-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Here's a pic of one of the VA brackets from my Gen IV unit....I can get you some more pics if you want. They're pretty simple. I welded studs on the back of my firewall (Elevator bolts) to attach them to.

pfrankie
06-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Hi BGTF,
Thanks for the info..... Are you talking about Real Deal or Hotrod Dynamics?

Bluegrass Trifive
06-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Hotrod Dynamics

chevynut
06-14-2018, 04:38 PM
I'm curious why VA didn't send you the correct brackets with your mockup case. Seems like an obvious thing to do for a mockup. Maybe you should call them and see if they'll send a set. I don't know what HRD sells.

Bluegrass Trifive
06-14-2018, 05:36 PM
I'm curious why VA didn't send you the correct brackets with your mockup case. Seems like an obvious thing to do for a mockup. Maybe you should call them and see if they'll send a set. I don't know what HRD sells. Because Vintage Air sells the mock up simply based on Gen 2, Gen 4 etc non vehicle model specific with the out put duct configuration of your choice. You then have to order the brackets for your particular application. The brackets are based on holes being in your stock firewall that are now gone with the custom firewall unit and look like hell anyhow as they protrude all the way through. So you can either weld bolts (elevator bolts are a common choice) or use a different style bracket like Hotrod Dynamics sells.

Bitchin'57
06-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Because Vintage Air sells the mock up simply based on Gen 2, Gen 4 etc non vehicle model specific with the out put duct configuration of your choice. You then have to order the brackets for your particular application. The brackets are based on holes being in your stock firewall that are now gone with the custom firewall unit and look like hell anyhow as they protrude all the way through. So you can either weld bolts (elevator bolts are a common choice) or use a different style bracket like Hotrod Dynamics sells.
Can you post a picture of that HRD bracket you speak of? I looked around on their website, and I didn't see a bracket for mounting a VA unit.

Bluegrass Trifive
06-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Can you post a picture of that HRD bracket you speak of? I looked around on their website, and I didn't see a bracket for mounting a VA unit. Go to their 55-56 Firewall area >installation photo gallery > word file named Installation.docx the pictures are in that file. They’re just simple brackets that could be easily made, I’d never really looked at them before as I’ve only done a 57. I’m sorry for some reason it won’t let me add the other pictures from my iPad and that’s all I have with me currently.

Rick_L
06-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Never knew of elevator bolts until I read this thread. Looks like they are a good solution. On mine I just used low grade hex head bolts - welded the head to the passenger side of the firewall. Same result.

The VA brackets I have are just 18 gauge sheet metal. Easy to make custom ones like those, all you need is snips to cut to size, a vise to clamp for the bend, and a drill to make the holes. Real easy. The hard part is being sure where those fasteners go - but it's probably more forgiving than you first think.

markm
06-15-2018, 06:15 AM
Never knew of elevator bolts until I read this thread. Looks like they are a good solution. On mine I just used low grade hex head bolts - welded the head to the passenger side of the firewall. Same result.

The VA brackets I have are just 18 gauge sheet metal. Easy to make custom ones like those, all you need is snips to cut to size, a vise to clamp for the bend, and a drill to make the holes. Real easy. The hard part is being sure where those fasteners go - but it's probably more forgiving than you first think.

I learned of their existence from a heavy truck mechanic 25 years ago, they work great when replacing a wood trailer floor.

NickP
06-15-2018, 06:48 AM
I learned of their existence from a heavy truck mechanic 25 years ago, they work great when replacing a wood trailer floor. Several types to fit the need.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#elevator-bolts/=1damrwq

Carbon Steel https://images1.mcmaster.com/mvA/contents/gfx/large/92670a826p2-b01l.png?ver=1452167235 Stainless too https://images1.mcmaster.com/mvA/contents/gfx/large/92670a826p1-b01l.png?ver=1395224586 Special for wood or Belting https://images1.mcmaster.com/mvA/contents/gfx/large/92221a326p1-b01l.png?ver=1395224644

chevynut
06-15-2018, 06:58 AM
This is what I used. I just plug-welded them in from the front of the firewall. Got them at a local ACE Hardware.

markm
06-15-2018, 07:00 AM
If I need one or two Ace is an option, but Fastenal is a must for quantities.

Rick_L
06-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Lowes has them too, apparently they are more widely available than one might think. I find McMaster-Carr to be more price friendly than Fastenal, and I get the stuff by UPS ground in 2 days.

Bluegrass Trifive
06-15-2018, 08:40 AM
Lowes has them too, apparently they are more widely available than one might think. I find McMaster-Carr to be more price friendly than Fastenal, and I get the stuff by UPS ground in 2 days. Yep, I’ve bought them from my local Lowes several times.