PDA

View Full Version : Internal 55 windshield wiper motor other than Raingear

pfrankie
07-22-2018, 06:02 PM
I'm looking for a center mount, internal wiper motor. I cannot use Raingear due to my clutch master cylinder push rod.
Any ideas?

Rick_L
07-22-2018, 06:47 PM
There's a couple of others, such as Specialty Power Windows. No idea on whether it would be better for you. Have you looked at Newport? They make an electric wiper conversion that uses the stock cables. Would that work?

Of course your other option is to re-do your clutch master cylinder to clear the wiper system. Probably several options there.

chevynut
07-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Why would the clutch MC rod interfere with the Raingear unit? What clutch setup are you using? It seems like the Raingear levers are way above the pedal clutch assembly.

Here's mine showing the Raingear levers and the brake/clutch brace.

BamaNomad
07-22-2018, 08:22 PM
It would appear his car has a custom (NOT stock) 'hydraulic clutch' with master cylinder; it would depend on where/how it's all mounted as to 'interference'...?

chevynut
07-22-2018, 08:34 PM
I don't know what hydraulic clutch could be that high in a 55-56, but this one won't work in a 57:

https://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-hydraulic-clutch-master-cylinder-kit-1955-1957.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp57-187631-1&sc_intid=57-187631-1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1tDaBRAMEiwA0rYbSC_GmIPED6BGwKN50WE7 pMNwuk159qJ4EeDgd1EvkeWIFWH5cBcHuxoCklEQAvD_BwE

https://www.classicchevy.com/assets/cci/images/size/600x/sku/08-150.jpg

chevynut
07-22-2018, 08:48 PM
The Specialty Power Windows wiper setup allows you to mount the drive motor just about anywhere. We planned to use one on the Hemi55 since I had to re-locate the brake master cylinder to where the Raingear would go. BTW, if you want to buy a Raingear I think Steve would sell the one for his Hemi55 since he can't use it. I could ask what he wants for it...it's new.

pfrankie
07-31-2018, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys.... I have a Rain Gear. It looks to be an interference fit. Guess I'll do the install and see just what interferes rather than eyeball it.
My clutch master push rod exits on the driver side of the steering column. Not the right side like stock. Looking at the firewall, the master is right of the hydra boost. I am however using a modified stock petal mount like chevynut.

chevynut
07-31-2018, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys.... I have a Rain Gear. It looks to be an interference fit. Guess I'll do the install and see just what interferes rather than eyeball it.

That's what I'd do. ;)

TrifiveRichard
07-31-2018, 02:52 PM
I mounted the rain gear unit with the clutch master cylinder on the driver side of the pedal assembly on my 56, modifying the clutch pedal so the rod will work on that side. I also have a hydra boost unit. The rod adjuster is close to the rain gear motor, but everything just clears. I don’t have pictures, but I could take a couple, if that helps.

pfrankie
07-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Been tinkering and installing, looking real close. Turns out, where I choose to mount the clutch master is directly in front of the RG wiper motor. I've also looked at the SPW unit and it looks like a winner. Gets good reviews and easy to install comments. SPW looks like my answer.

55 Rescue Dog
07-31-2018, 05:39 PM
Or just do what I do. Always avoid the rain, and just in case, use Rain-X. No wipers needed, just non-moving blades on the windshield and nobody cares. Drove 300 miles once in driving a driving rain at night, and never needed wipers. Airplanes don't need them either.

Rick_L
07-31-2018, 06:46 PM
If RainX is so good, why do windshield wipers even exist?

BamaNomad
07-31-2018, 08:13 PM
If your wipers don't work, then most likely your defroster doesn't either... and driving without wipers or defroster at night in a rain surely is a pain... :)

markm
08-01-2018, 05:59 AM
You need defrosters all year round in my opinion.

chevynut
08-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Turns out, where I choose to mount the clutch master is directly in front of the RG wiper motor. I've also looked at the SPW unit and it looks like a winner. Gets good reviews and easy to install comments. SPW looks like my answer.

So do you have a "home-brew" hydraulic clutch setup? I thought you used the Eckler's kit which says it won't work on a 57 only. The SPW setup does look like a decent choice.