PDA

View Full Version : took my hayden fan off --coming backstock fan

bsa_bob2
07-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Ispent 3 weeks trying to figure out the wirning for 1 -16" fan .So iam trying to find A shroud [danchuk] type $109.00 one would be good. Hayden sent me a free kit for this one i have. so will sell or trade it/Guy warned me about letting this new 355 get hot then it boils, no good --to many times like this Any help will be greatly appreciated,like to find one used; new; whatever but not from fla. $34.00 shipping is out of my league. if you know what i mean i live in Mich bob s

55 Tony
07-27-2018, 04:13 PM
I have a 6 blade 18" steel and stainless steel flex fan (yes I know, don't warn me about flex fans, I'll replace it every so many years (and stainless will not fatigue nearly as easily as aluminum)). It's about 5/8" from the radiator with no shroud and the 454 runs cooler than it did with any other fan and shroud combo I tried. It's also the most quiet fan I've had and comes with no wiring hassles.

When a blade comes through the roof, or cuts my hand off I'll post pics. (it may take longer with only one hand). If it kills me I won't be able to tell you about it.

markm
07-27-2018, 04:50 PM
I spent $200 on a custom made aluminum shroud for my free 18 inch 1970 Chevy truck with AC fan, I run 165 on the highway in 100 degrees Never over 180 idling in traffic. No regrets here.

bsa_bob2
07-27-2018, 07:06 PM
My setup is the fan has a 2-3" spacer therabouts and 5/8" from the radiator is really a correct distance. but mine would need a lonnnng spacer- and that makes it not an option.therefore a good shroudis in order byt why must they be 1000 miles from Michigan.Iwill find away to get on up here from fla,California probably not. 55 chevies are harder to build that 1932 fords jmo bob s

55 Tony
07-28-2018, 04:20 AM
I spent $200 on a custom made aluminum shroud for my free 18 inch 1970 Chevy truck with AC fan, I run 165 on the highway in 100 degrees Never over 180 idling in traffic. No regrets here.

That's very cool, mine runs about 10° warmer. What motor do you have and/or do you have a crossflow radiator? My rad is the stock looking aluminum two 1" row core.

markm
07-28-2018, 07:28 AM
That's very cool, mine runs about 10° warmer. What motor do you have and/or do you have a crossflow radiator? My rad is the stock looking aluminum two 1" row core.

1965 Impala 396 punched .060 with a Portel crossflow rad.

bsa_bob2
07-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Start your own post Tony!!

55 Tony
07-28-2018, 04:44 PM

Calm down, it was about engine cooling and it just may bring replies that will help you.

chevynut
07-29-2018, 03:35 PM

I could also tell you about my 4000 CFM dual 12" Derale Electric fans with 2-speed control via a Dakota Digital fan controller, but I won't :D. I'm sure someone would say it's too modern, or too complicated, doesn't perform well, or find something else wrong with it, and never answer your questions or help you find what you need.

This is how things often go....a guy asks a question and a few others have to post some irrelevant BS about what they have and how it performs. ;)

Not sure why it's so hard to wire an electric fan. Pretty simple stuff, and maybe you should have asked for help on that before you changed your mind. If you want to re-visit that option since you already have the parts, we can probably help you wire it up. Anyhow.....

It might help if you put a "wanted" ad in the classified section if you know exactly what you want, which it sounds like you do. That help might prevent all the irrelevant posts too. Maybe. ;)

bsa_bob2
08-03-2018, 12:32 PM
I have had trouble with some ill-working parts. So i am a little more out there- than normal. get so many different answers it becomes a large headache. But Laz if you want me off ? . .I apoloigise.many things going on with family right now, so might had bearing on my post, kinda sorry i haven't been here much

I gave in on the electric fan anyway,no more than guys drive these trifives ...stainless flex sounds good to me. i have afew of them

55 Tony
08-03-2018, 01:32 PM
I just ignore laz's posts anymore. I have them blocked so I don't see them. Most of them aren't worth reading. Likes to criticize everyone if they aren't building a state of the art car. Some of us like old school. That's why we like old cars! Some of us can only afford old school, that's cool too. Some people can't fix anything old so they buy new. There is room here for all of us, unfortunately enough room for those who laugh at anything old.

55 Tony
08-03-2018, 01:38 PM
I gave in on the electric fan anyway,no more than guys drive these trifives ...stainless flex sounds good to me. i have afew of them

There is a big airflow difference between different flex fans. If you look at Summit, look for "heavy duty". I think this is what I have: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17018/overview/

Earlier you said your spacer would have to be very long, can you move your radiator to the V8 position?

Also check the rpm rating for any fan you use/buy. There are a lot of them that are not rated very high rpm. Remember your engine drive pulley is larger than the fan/water pump pulley, so your fan speed will be faster than the engine rpm's. Mine is rated for 10,000rpm.
If you don't know the rpm rating, throw it out. The first one I bought I never thought about the pulley ratio and thought a 7,000rpm would be plenty. No it never let loose, but that is probably how flex fans get a bad name.

bsa_bob2
08-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Tony!I checked out your refferal on Summit,Thats the flex fan i have desginated to this 355 Exactly.thanks Tony for the tip also bob s

55 Tony
08-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Tony!I checked out your refferal on Summit,Thats the flex fan i have desginated to this 355 Exactly.thanks Tony for the tip also bob s

Just yesterday I was trying to move my motor a bit and it ended up with the fan hitting the radiator support, I'd suggest getting the 17" instead of the 18" to be sure. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17017/overview/