PDA

View Full Version : Delray project

mikev8nut
09-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Long time Lerker here. I figured it was about time I post a few pics of my project. I purchased this car 8 years ago a c4 front clip off C-nut quite a while ago too. Life happened so things were put on hold. I’ve been working on this off and on for the last 2 years. C4 front and rear suspension, narrowed rear, 2015 LT1 ( wish I had gone with an LS as originally planned) T56 magnum.
I’m waiting on some parts to finish off the exhaust and just put the body back on the frame so I can measure for wheels. I made some mods to the rear so it sits up higher into the frame , hoping to run18s up front and 19s or 20s without affecting the rake too much.
I’ve welded on stand-off brackets in the inside of the firewall so I can attach relays, ecm and fuse panel.

chevynut
09-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Looks GREAT Mike! Even upside-down! :)

Rick_L
09-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Looks like you have a great project there.

No reflection on you, I just wish there was an easy software solution to pictures that are rotated from what's intended. I see it everywhere these days.

mikev8nut
09-10-2018, 06:35 PM
I posted using my phone. They don’t show upside down on here. Any suggestions on how to fix the issue ?

BamaNomad
09-10-2018, 06:38 PM
I posted using my phone. They don’t show upside down on here. Any suggestions on how to fix the issue ?

If you are viewing on a computer (rather than a smart phone), you can 'right click' and select ' Open in new window', and they should display correctly in the new window...

mikev8nut
09-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Maybe I should try posting with my computer next time.

Rick_L
09-10-2018, 07:46 PM
you can 'right click' and select ' Open in new window',

My computer doesn't give me this option with a right click. Doesn't matter, why should I have to do that?

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-11-2018, 06:16 AM
nice build, thanks for sharing.

WagonCrazy
09-11-2018, 06:20 AM
You've made some real progress there Mike. As another guy who's been mired in an 8 year build, while life goes on too....I can emphasize with you.
But it's lookin' great so far (from the pics).
Stay at it, you'll be turning the key to start it before you know it. And then you'll get a burst of energy from that to get it finished up.
Thumbs up!

Now for my question:
I too have a C4 front and rear setup in my CNut frame. Why did you choose to narrow the rear axles? I see what it meant in terms of frame mods/narrowing... Was it to run deeper dish wheels?

mikev8nut
09-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Thanks, I’m hoping to get a bunch of work done this winter. I wanted to run a 28” tall tire or close to it without drastically affecting the rake so the diff is up a few inches from where you usually see it on a stock frame. I narrowed the rear 1.5” on each side so I can run a deeper dish wheel. The frame doesn’t step down till closer to the rear so the exhaust can pass underneath the frame without being seen. Mufflers will be tucked up between the frame and rear quarters.

You've made some real progress there Mike. As another guy who's been mired in an 8 year build, while life goes on too....I can emphasize with you.
But it's lookin' great so far (from the pics).
Stay at it, you'll be turning the key to start it before you know it. And then you'll get a burst of energy from that to get it finished up.
Thumbs up!

Now for my question:
I too have a C4 front and rear setup in my CNut frame. Why did you choose to narrow the rear axles? I see what it meant in terms of frame mods/narrowing... Was it to run deeper dish wheels?

chevynut
09-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Hey Mike, it looks like you have a late C4 rearend but with an internal parking brake. Are you using the C5 rear brake adapter from The Street Shop?

TrifiveRichard
09-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Mike, you’d mentioned rather having an LS3 than the gen v LT1. What have you run into that’s changed your mind?

mikev8nut
09-13-2018, 08:27 PM
The 3 bolt holes on the c5 e-brake are the same spacing as the c4 hub bolts. I just enlarged the holes. There was interference with the e brake cylinder bolts so I filed notches into the c4 caliper bracket/spacer. It’s merely sandwiched between the hub and triangular c4 calliper bracket/spacer. I will make my own caliper adapter brackets.
Sorry for the crappy pic.

Hey Mike, it looks like you have a late C4 rearend but with an internal parking brake. Are you using the C5 rear brake adapter from The Street Shop?

mikev8nut
09-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Laszlo originally set up the front clip for an LS like I was planning to use. I got a really good deal on this LT1 so thought I would try and make it work. Long story short, I had to alter the mounts to make it work, recess the firewall an additional 1.5” (5.5 in total ) to clear the back of the intake and Mechanical fuel pump bracket as well as leaving enough room for my vintage air set up on the inside. The crank and pulley has a short snout where it won’t fit over the rack and pinion so it had to go behind it. I have just enough room to slide a belt through between the crank and rack and pinion. A lot of other mods too but I finally got it in there.
Nothing wrong with the engineering behind the motor, it just made a lot of extra work for me going this route.

Mike, you’d mentioned rather having an LS3 than the gen v LT1. What have you run into that’s changed your mind?

BamaNomad
09-14-2018, 05:13 AM
MikeV8Nut posted in response to a question why he regretted changing engine from LS to LT:

"Nothing wrong with the engineering behind the motor, it just made a lot of extra work for me going this route."

That's what I've been trying to tell Richard... to stick with what he knows, unless he just LIKES headaches and solving 'new' problems... :)

Rick_L
09-14-2018, 07:51 AM
A gen5 isn't the same length as a gen4 engine?

mikev8nut
09-14-2018, 10:55 AM
I’m sure the engine will fit fine in other applications but it was a tight fit for me with the c4 setup and stock c7 accessories

MikeV8Nut posted in response to a question why he regretted changing engine from LS to LT:

"Nothing wrong with the engineering behind the motor, it just made a lot of extra work for me going this route."

That's what I've been trying to tell Richard... to stick with what he knows, unless he just LIKES headaches and solving 'new' problems... :)

Rick_L
09-14-2018, 11:03 AM
I was just suggesting that a gen4 may be no different.

That's what I've been trying to tell Richard... to stick with what he knows, unless he just LIKES headaches and solving 'new' problems...

A lot of us are like that. It's just a matter of picking the project and then solving the problem. Many times though project picking is what takes more critical thought and planning than solving the problems created once the project is chosen. Also to be successful at all that, you need to recognize your strengths and limitations.

mikev8nut
09-14-2018, 11:06 AM
The blocks are similar in size but the intake overhangs at the back of the engine as well as the fuel pump and bracket. The front accessories hug the block more so the crank pulley couldn’t straddle the rack and pinion. It would have to sit above it making the engine too high.

A gen5 isn't the same length as a gen4 engine?

chevynut
09-14-2018, 11:44 AM
The front accessories hug the block more so the crank pulley couldn’t straddle the rack and pinion. It would have to sit above it making the engine too high.

We position all of our SBC and LS engines so the damper sits over the rack. The dampers are all around 8". We then set the engine angle at 5.5 degrees. I don't think it's too high, but it you want it lower you have to move the engine back like you did. Our placement allows use of the stock firewall with LS and SBCs.

mikev8nut
09-14-2018, 08:52 PM
LT1 and LS harmonic balancer differences. If I mounted mine in the LS location I would have had to build a custom driveshaft tunnel.
Once again posting with my phone, I flipped the pics upside down. Let me know if they come out the right way up.

chevynut
09-14-2018, 09:08 PM
They're upside down...I had the same problem earlier with some iphone pics. Seems like it doesn't matter what you do with them they always post the same way.

09-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Great work Mike. Thanks for taking the time for the pictures and to post the update of the c4 swap. Too many c4 projects updates on here are no longer viewable do to Web sites price increases/problems.
Good luck with build.

mikev8nut
09-05-2019, 07:14 PM
I have been useless lately on the updates but here's a photo. Everything is slapped together and mostly everything has been installed and mocked up. Its almost at ride height, the back will come down I little more.
We're moving back to New Zealand in a few weeks and will be dragging my 3 vehicles with us. It might be a while before I get started on the body work but will come up with a plan once we're settled.

chevynut
09-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Looks great Mike. I don't even think the rear needs to be lowered myself. I can't imagine moving that far. :eek: I was in NZ in 1996 and loved the place. Are you on the north or south island?

mikev8nut
09-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Looks great Mike. I don't even think the rear needs to be lowered myself. I can't imagine moving that far. :eek: I was in NZ in 1996 and loved the place. Are you on the north or south island?

Thanks Laszlo. We are moving back to Hamilton which is in the North Island.

MP&C
09-06-2019, 03:47 AM
Stance looks awesome!

Custer55
09-06-2019, 02:16 PM
The stance looks great, Keep posting updates.
Link to my project is below.
Brian

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/3779-C4-Frame-Project