PDA

View Full Version : Interesting K&N fuel injectected carb spacer

55 Rescue Dog
10-19-2018, 03:49 PM
I never heard of it before, until I looked through what was just another new Summit catalog on page 14. It's a fuel injected spacer designed to cover up flat spots in an existing carburetor. I hope it's a great idea.

Rick_L
10-19-2018, 05:13 PM
The premise of that product seems a bit retarded to me. It can add fuel, but it can't take it away?

On the previous page in the same catalog is a Summit brand throttle body injection system that's only $50 more at $749. And for only $50 more than that, an FiTech tbi system. Makes a lot more sense, because they are real systems. And for a little more but still under $1000, FiTech, Holley, and MSD systems that can control ignition timing too.

55 Rescue Dog
10-21-2018, 05:27 AM
The premise of that product seems a bit retarded to me. It can add fuel, but it can't take it away?

On the previous page in the same catalog is a Summit brand throttle body injection system that's only $50 more at $749. And for only $50 more than that, an FiTech tbi system. Makes a lot more sense, because they are real systems. And for a little more but still under $1000, FiTech, Holley, and MSD systems that can control ignition timing too.
I agree, but if this system was half the price I would think about giving it a try. I have a Holley 750HP with no choke, and could lean it out some too, plus I wouldn't have to spend $500+ rebuilding the whole fuel supply system, and probably a new fuel cell too, since this is supposed an easy install to work with a simple mechanical fuel pump. Most of my drivability issues are probably from using an Edelbrock rpm air-gap manifold which I need to replace first anyway. It takes forever to warm up completely.

55 Tony
10-22-2018, 07:29 AM
I would think no choke has more to do with problems warming up more than the air gap. Although I've never had an air gap, I have had carbs with no choke.

chevynut
10-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Sounds like a useless gimmick to me. Just get rid of the antiquated POS carburetor altogether and go EFI like the OEMs did over 30 years ago.

Bitchin'57
10-24-2018, 12:29 AM
And its not even April Fool's Day. Whomever at K&N allowed this joke go to market should be fired. It's going to go the way of the Edsel.

55 Rescue Dog
10-24-2018, 03:19 PM
I have had a few carbureted engines that ran as good as many injected engines. Plus you can easily make a carbureted engine run perfect 70 years later with still available parts, which probably won't happen with all of these new on the market FI carbs. 10 years later it's obsolete.

markm
10-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Sounds like a useless gimmick to me. Just get rid of the antiquated POS carburetor altogether and go EFI like the OEMs did over 30 years ago.

Says the guy whose crap injection is already out of date and will have parts dry up in his lifetime.

55 Tony
10-25-2018, 11:04 AM
I have had a few carbureted engines that ran as good as many injected engines. Plus you can easily make a carbureted engine run perfect 70 years later with still available parts, which probably won't happen with all of these new on the market FI carbs. 10 years later it's obsolete.

Yes I agree 100%. And they don't tell you too far ahead of time that a new model is out, so you can buy there latest, but it's already old and going off the market in a few months. Got to sell off the old crap before selling the new crap. I like my Holley spreadbore 800 double pumper mechanical secondaries, and my Quadrajet 800. I don't seem to have any flat spots for the Fi Tech to fix.

55 Tony
10-25-2018, 11:11 AM
http://www.trifivechevys.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by chevynut http://www.trifivechevys.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php?p=48576#post48576)

Why would someone own antique cars and not like their antiquated parts. The way some guys go, they may as well just buy a fiberglass kit car. What fun is there in saying "I own the body of a 56 chevy"? They ask "what about the rest of the car"? Oh, no that's all new. ?? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

55 Rescue Dog
10-25-2018, 04:37 PM
I love carburetors. That's probably how the very first gas engine ever made runs, and probably still could. They tell you things you don't experience with any ole EFI. Plus you can usually fix them with a flat blade screwdriver.
I like ignition points too! You can actually see it and fix it cheaply with simple tools. I also like what the good old Vacuum gauge can tell you.