PDA

View Full Version : A Brief History Of Sealed Beam Headlamps In The U.S.

chevynut
11-18-2018, 12:38 PM
https://www.carid.com/articles/brief-history-of-sealed-beam-headlights-in-us.html

I thought this was an interesting article. I didn't know the government was so involved in the changes to headlights over the decades.

"Today, there are no new cars or light trucks sold with sealed beam headlights in the United States."

I think some of the new headlights are pretty cool. There's quite a few choices for replacements for 7" round headlights now. You don't have to stick with the boring sealed beams. ;)

https://www.carid.com/1956-chevy-bel-air-headlights/

55 Rescue Dog
11-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Most of the best looking cars ever made had sealed beam headlights. I wish all of my newer cars did too. 2-3 cheap bulbs covered everything, worked fine, and they didn't cost $300 plus to replace one from just getting dull and cloudy. The lights on my Tahoe are aero, but that doesn't seem to help mileage, or replacement cost, and the old sealed beam trucks looked better too. in 1950 they could make a 7" round headlight blend into the body. The incandescent glow always looked best anyway.
https://www.carid.com/1956-chevy-bel-air-headlights/philips-7-round-factory-style-headlights-441954102.html

chevynut
11-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Most of the cars and trucks at SEMA had newer cool-looking headlights. They look more modern and perform MUCH better than the old junk sealed beams, and even the high current Xenon lights. There's nothing "cool" about a 60+ year old 7" sealed beam light and they all look the same. When I drive at night I want to see the road, and personally I like the "eyebrows" and halos....just something new and different.

With the LEDs they can get a lot more creative and they last the life of the car, and then some. 50,000 hours is typical which is amazing. They draw a lot less current and really don't even need relays except for control functions. I've seen several kinds of LED headlights that I really like so the Nomad might get a front end facelift. Yeah, some of them are expensive, but so is the other stuff I put on the car. I'm liking em but it's something you have to get used to and they draw attention to the car.

https://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products/reli/lights/oracle_sealed_beam_conversion_headlights_dodge_cha rger_lifestyle.gifhttp://www.code510.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x1200/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/-/7-inch-black-projector-headlight-kits-camaro-headlights-projection-hid.jpghttps://www.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/l/hla34.jpghttp://www.car-revs-daily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/KAEGE-RETRO-23-1.jpghttp://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3239/DSC_8688.jpg

55 Rescue Dog
11-18-2018, 04:51 PM
They are not that cool, but definitely look dorky. I try to avoid driving a classic vehicle at night high speeds anyway. We used to just use parking lights when cruising at night, when that was cool.

scorpion1110
11-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Rescue, I am with you. Its a matter of opinion but LED lighting on a car looks ridiculous. Every Audi you see nowadays has eyebrows. Of course just my opinion.

Or as CN would say ;)

S

BamaNomad
11-19-2018, 05:42 AM
I have to agree with RD and Scorpion... putting this plastic crap on a classic chevy just *cheapens* it....

markm
11-19-2018, 06:50 AM
They belong on gang banger rides with 24 inch wheels.

chevynut
11-19-2018, 06:50 AM
Sure they would look out of place on an "old school" tri5 with 15" Cragar wheels and balloon tires, sitting at stock height with an obsolete carburetor sticking out of the hood. But on a modern, low stance, pro-touring style build with big wheels I think they would look great. I love the front end of that Camaro in the pics above, and the headlights complement the look. They give a hint of more cool stuff underneath. Good thing we don't all like the same things or we would have never gotten out of the 60's. ;)

BamaNomad
11-19-2018, 06:58 AM
My view... if one likes this 'new fangled' big wheel/plastic headlights, blinking LED looks... then they should buy themselves one of the myriad 'look alike' cars available, instead of trying to make a classic look the way of these new plastic fantastiks...

A *classic* car is CLASSIC for very specific reasons... WHY disregard all that?

chevynut
11-19-2018, 07:04 AM
Here's a couple pics of some LED headlights on older cars at SEMA. Some of them are more subtle-looking than the projectors (except for the Chevelle), but still improve lighting a lot. I guess if you never drive at night you might as well delete the headlights altogether, or don't waste the time wiring them up. Or maybe just install some burnt-out T3s for that "old school" look. :D

BamaNomad
11-19-2018, 07:15 AM
So what is wrong with the 7" diameter Halogen bulbs for brighter output lamps? which also look *right* on our older cars? ie... such as the Hella european lamps which are supposedly at the 'bright' legal limit?

Troy
11-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Well at least I don't have to polish my '55's lenses every three months!!!

55 Rescue Dog
11-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Out of those pictures, the empty headlight buckets on your avatar picture of your 56 look better. :geek:
I unsuccessfully tried to talk my best friend out of his plan to hang empty lake pipes on the sides of his prized 2005 Ford Thunderturd to give it an old school look. Trying to make a new car look old doesn't work either. It's embarrassing.

markm
11-19-2018, 08:22 AM
Out of those pictures, the empty headlight buckets on your avatar picture of your 56 look better. :geek:
I unsuccessfully tried to talk my best friend out of his plan to hang empty lake pipes on the sides of his prized 2005 Ford Thunderturd to give it an old school look. Trying to make a new car look old doesn't work either. It's embarrassing.

I agree if you want new buy new or old school buy old school.

kbuhagiar
11-19-2018, 08:24 AM
After 5 years of lurking...my first post!

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of this discussion...

I agree that modern styled replacement headlamps may look out of place on a TriFive; however, I am all for any upgrade or modification that increases headlight output and improves the nighttime driving experience. All of my older hobby cars have been upgraded with better headlights (Cibie, Hella) and relays. That being said, I will be upgrading the headlights on my 56 One-Fifty soon, and will definitely look into LED replacements, as I like the idea of NOT having to install headlight relays. The challenge will be to find high-output LED headlamps that are plug & play, but don't look too 'blingy' or out of place.

markm
11-19-2018, 11:35 AM
After 5 years of lurking...my first post!

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of this discussion...

I agree that modern styled replacement headlamps may look out of place on a TriFive; however, I am all for any upgrade or modification that increases headlight output and improves the nighttime driving experience. All of my older hobby cars have been upgraded with better headlights (Cibie, Hella) and relays. That being said, I will be upgrading the headlights on my 56 One-Fifty soon, and will definitely look into LED replacements, as I like the idea of NOT having to install headlight relays. The challenge will be to find high-output LED headlamps that are plug & play, but don't look too 'blingy' or out of place.

Let us Know what you find. I started running Halogen bulbs in older vehicle's in the 80s. They were an upgrade plug & play that was not " blingy".

55 Rescue Dog
11-19-2018, 02:28 PM
I've had many vehicles with sealed beams, and when well aimed, you could see everything 1/4 mile+ down the road going 70+ at night. especially with the high beams. The old foot operated headlight dimmer switch was still the best setup too. I never have liked the using the turn signal lever, except for flashing the lights.

markm
11-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Hands down the foot operated dimmer was the best setup.

scorpion1110
11-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Sure they would look out of place on an "old school" tri5 with 15" Cragar wheels and balloon tires, sitting at stock height with an obsolete carburetor sticking out of the hood. But on a modern, low stance, pro-touring style build with big wheels I think they would look great. I love the front end of that Camaro in the pics above, and the headlights complement the look. They give a hint of more cool stuff underneath. Good thing we don't all like the same things or we would have never gotten out of the 60's. ;)

CN always bashing the non-FI folks whenever you can ;)

Well I read your post, thought about it, declared myself obsolete and just sold my 55 to a millennial. He is going to turn it into a tiny house.

Scorp

kbuhagiar
11-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Let us Know what you find. I started running Halogen bulbs in older vehicle's in the 80s. They were an upgrade plug & play that was not " blingy".

I agree that halogens are a potential upgrade, but I have not had good luck with them; the ones I tried (Sylvanias) weren't appreciably brighter, and seemed to burn out rather quickly. After I tried the Cibies or Hellas with the replaceable elements I was hooked, and using the 55/100 watt elements gives the best low/high beam combination.

kbuhagiar
11-19-2018, 04:54 PM
I've had many vehicles with sealed beams, and when well aimed, you could see everything 1/4 mile+ down the road going 70+ at night. especially with the high beams. The old foot operated headlight dimmer switch was still the best setup too. I never have liked the using the turn signal lever, except for flashing the lights.

Completely agree on the foot dimmer being the best setup.

I was perfectly satisfied with conventional sealed beam headlights until I bought a newer used vehicle with HID headlights. We live in a rural location, and the brighter light really made a difference at night on our dark local two-lane roads. Since then I have made it a priority to upgrade the headlights on any of my older hobby cars.

BCPrez
11-20-2018, 12:41 PM
I too like the looks of the older sealed beam headlights on classics but, with that said I want to best lighting available and if that means a don't get that perfect classic look so be it. Seems these days we have more cars coming at us with the newer brighter lights and sometimes I feel my vision is impaired after one of them pass by.

Here's what just arrived for me yesterday and will be going in my 56 very soon. https://www.dapperlighting.com/collections/projector-headlights/products/7-classic-projector

BCPrez
11-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Opps, I attached the wrong link and photo. Here's what I just received and will put in my 56. No headlight bucket modifications required.

https://www.dapperlighting.com/collections/projector-headlights/products/seven

Nomad_57
01-12-2023, 01:48 PM
I would like to have my cake and eat it too. I want the T-3 look, only new LED's so these old eyes could see at night.

markm
01-12-2023, 04:13 PM
I read somewhere that Holley had something stock appearing but they were reported to be in the $400.00 range.

55 Rescue Dog
01-12-2023, 04:38 PM
I love the old look incandescent glow of sealed beams that works fine when aimed correctly that I have used forever, plus I avoid driving my 55 at night anyway on dark highways. Risky enough even with the brightest lights in an old car looking out for a deer, etc.

chevynut
01-12-2023, 06:02 PM
I would like to have my cake and eat it too. I want the T-3 look, only new LED's so these old eyes could see at night.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1006rc-t3-lenses-to-t4-halogen-reflectors-conversion

You can even put T4 LEDs in it. I wonder why nobody's offering these for sale. Any modern upgrade is better than the stock junk, especially with the small wires they used. If I'm going to be driving at night I sure as hell want something better than a T3.

Here's the Holley RetroBrite LEDs... $200 each.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-lfrb135?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8dqlqLrD_AIVLgCtBh0lCg1-EAQYASABEgKCvvD_BwE

55 Rescue Dog
01-13-2023, 03:48 PM
I've been driving my 55 for 2 years now and have never needed the headlights. I run them in some conditions, and they look like daytime running lights. Also have the white parking lights wired to come on with the headlights so it's easily seen. Or sometimes just the parking lights which I've have done since I was a kid.

chevynut
01-16-2023, 10:33 AM
I've been driving my 55 for 2 years now and have never needed the headlights.

Yeah, like seatbelts and helmets, you never need them until you need them. :eek:

Modern headlights are WAY better than the obsolete stock sealed beam incandescents. Even halogens are much better and I like to see at night.

I plan to run LEDs with halos, using the halos as DRLs that come on when the ignition is on. Haven't picked the headlights yet. I bought some Hella E-code housings years ago but probably won't use them.

55 Rescue Dog
01-16-2023, 03:58 PM
I have seatbelts that are 5-point camlocks and have worn my new Snell rated helmet when autocrossing. Also have a S&W rollbar, and a race spec Willwood safety steering column and I don't drive at night in that car on the highway driving in the rain. Plus, I don't have wipers, and halo lights would look like I would be trying too hard to look cool...
My halogens cost $28 for the pair and work great.