PDA

View Full Version : Not a Nomad but look what I saw today

55 Tony
11-18-2018, 03:40 PM
A Pontiac Safari!

chevynut
11-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Those are pretty cool cars, but that front end is ugly and looks like it weighs a ton. That's the reason the 57 is my LEAST favorite tri5 too. I wonder why they kept the beltline dip on the Safaris and not the Nomads....it looks odd to me.

LEE T
11-18-2018, 04:43 PM
He parked it right. I always look for an end spot to park, and leave the next car as much room as possible, usually close to the curb.

55 Rescue Dog
11-18-2018, 05:00 PM
The front bumper is lighter than a BBC though, and the headlights look great.

WagonCrazy
11-18-2018, 07:29 PM
That's a cool looking wagon.

BamaNomad
11-18-2018, 08:34 PM
absolutely! I love safari's also... and Yes, they are heavier than a Nomad (and longer), but just as cool, maybe even 'cooler'... :)

That's a great looking one as well! Where did you see that car, Tony??

56Safari
11-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Damn, that looks excellent... thanks for sharing, its giving me some motivation over here...

Those are pretty cool cars, but that front end is ugly and looks like it weighs a ton. That's the reason the 57 is my LEAST favorite tri5 too. I wonder why they kept the beltline dip on the Safaris and not the Nomads....it looks odd to me.

I agree with you about the front end to an extent... I really like the fenders and hood... I think the stock front bumper situation is way out of hand, especially with how long the car is... the front bumper adds an extra foot. :D.. I'm 50/50 on the belt line dip, I think it would work as long as some of the other styling cues are toned down..... I think the rear tail fins should follow the arc of the tailgate once you get above the tail lights and not protrude up, just continue to follow the radius of the rear quarter... The rear bumper needs to be one piece and be integrated/seamless with the rear wheel well trim.. I'm still confused about where to take the front end, not sure which direction would suit it best.

55 Tony
11-19-2018, 04:34 AM
He was driving and I followed him about a block in Newport, TN. I didn't notice until I looked at the pictures on the PC that his tag is somewhat local, same as mine (Cocke County). Looked like Grandpop and Grandmom taking two grandchildren out to lunch.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
11-19-2018, 06:15 AM
good looking ride, thanks for sharing Tony.

chevynut
11-19-2018, 06:26 AM
He parked it right. I always look for an end spot to park, and leave the next car as much room as possible, usually close to the curb.

I try to park away from the rest of the cars, but usually when I do someone parks right next to me anyhow. It doesn't matter that there's a dozen spaces to park in, they want to park RIGHT NEXT TO ME for some stupid reason. :mad:

markm
11-19-2018, 06:47 AM
I drove my 55 to a function and legally parked in a handicapped spot and an a hole in a bug squeezed in the space between the spots.

chevynut
11-19-2018, 08:12 AM
I agree with you about the front end to an extent... I really like the fenders and hood... I think the stock front bumper situation is way out of hand, especially with how long the car is... the front bumper adds an extra foot. :D.. I'm 50/50 on the belt line dip, I think it would work as long as some of the other styling cues are toned down..... I think the rear tail fins should follow the arc of the tailgate once you get above the tail lights and not protrude up, just continue to follow the radius of the rear quarter... The rear bumper needs to be one piece and be integrated/seamless with the rear wheel well trim.. I'm still confused about where to take the front end, not sure which direction would suit it best.

I think Safaris are cool cars, and they're rare and different. But you can see why the Nomads with the cleaner lines are preferred over them. The guys at Pontiac got a little carried away with the styling ;). I agree that the rear bumper would look better as a 1-piece and I wonder if a 55 wagon rear bumper would work. Otherwise you'd probably have to fab one up yourself. Not sure how to clean up the front end to make it look a little less bulky. Personally I think the "dip" interrupts the flow of the quarters and if I was modifying a Safari I'd get rid of it.

LEE T
11-19-2018, 08:35 AM
I think the "dip" interrupts the flow of the quarters and if I was modifying a Safari I'd get rid of it.
Exactly, its like a wave in the 1/4 panel, for no real reason.

Rocketman
11-19-2018, 03:30 PM
I think the 55 Safari was a better looking car with the split bumper on the front and the hockey stick molding on the side trim.

56Safari
11-20-2018, 10:06 AM
I think the 55 Safari was a better looking car with the split bumper on the front and the hockey stick molding on the side trim.

I agree, I'm still trying to find a 55 donor car for a set of rear quarters... I was bidding on one earlier this year, but it got way out of hand.... almost 5k. The only ones I can find are out west in Kansas, Colorado, etc.... I'm far from needing them at the moment though, so I've got plenty of time to sit and wait until one pops up.

MadMooks
12-25-2018, 12:01 PM
57 safari is the best of the three in my opinion , and they only made about 1300 . That roofline and tailgate will look good on just about anything from the 50s.