PDA

View Full Version : 55 hood Bird

turk1955
02-19-2019, 12:00 PM
So my 201 didn't come with a hood bird so I picked one up now comes the neverous part mounting it, is their a pattern I can pickup so I know I am drilling in the correct locations ?

chevynut
02-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Can you see the holes on the underside of the hood? Did someone weld them up?

turk1955
02-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Well theirs isn't any that I can see, can't even see any weld marks even where the wings would have been.

markm
02-19-2019, 01:31 PM
So my 201 didn't come with a hood bird so I picked one up now comes the neverous part mounting it, is their a pattern I can pickup so I know I am drilling in the correct locations ?

Pattern no even my 150 came with a bird. But why not use the rubber gasket for a pattern.

Rick_L
02-19-2019, 02:37 PM
There's no continuous rubber gasket for the 55 bird.

Here's what to do.

Put a short stud made from 1/4-20 all thread in each of the 4 threaded holes. Take a piece of poster board and carefully fashion it so that it becomes a pattern. The poster board needs to conform to the bird and to the hood. Mark and punch 4 holes to match the all thread studs. You may have to do a second pattern to get it right and get the holes to match correctly without them being elongated or oversized. Also make some witness marks on the pattern for where the base of the bird sits. Transfer the pattern to the hood and line up the witness marks with the flat where the center of the bird sits. Mark and drill the holes. You may have to drill the holes slightly oversize so that you can move the bird slightly to get it to line up properly.

turk1955
02-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info, I am going to have at it tomorrow I post some before and after pitchers

BamaNomad
02-19-2019, 06:38 PM
What is a '201'???

MP&C
02-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Does your hood have the flat plateau for the bird to rest on? Maybe this is one of the new “peaked” hoods not designed for the bird. The hood brace underneath that goes to the front center should have a hole in it for one of the bird’s center holes.

markm
02-20-2019, 11:48 AM
I f you have a bird delete hood I am sure you can trade it for one with a bird.

markm
02-20-2019, 11:52 AM
There's no continuous rubber gasket for the 55 bird.

Here's what to do.

Put a short stud made from 1/4-20 all thread in each of the 4 threaded holes. Take a piece of poster board and carefully fashion it so that it becomes a pattern. The poster board needs to conform to the bird and to the hood. Mark and punch 4 holes to match the all thread studs. You may have to do a second pattern to get it right and get the holes to match correctly without them being elongated or oversized. Also make some witness marks on the pattern for where the base of the bird sits. Transfer the pattern to the hood and line up the witness marks with the flat where the center of the bird sits. Mark and drill the holes. You may have to drill the holes slightly oversize so that you can move the bird slightly to get it to line up properly.

sorry I got confused with 56 bird gaskets.