PDA

View Full Version : Headers/Generator Mounting

hevychevy
05-02-2019, 07:50 AM
I've decided to run long tube headers on my 57 283, and hit a snag. I now have the probelm of mounting the generator/PS pump which originally mounted to the ram horn man. I've seen brackets to mount an alternator with headers, but nothing for a generator/PS. Anyone know of one available. Could convert to alternator but then PS becomes a costly problem.

chevynut
05-02-2019, 08:05 AM
IMO I'd do the alternator upgrade regardless. The stock generator is woefully inadequate if you add much of anything electrical to the car, even a headlight upgrade, since they only put out around 25 amps. Adding PS shouldn't be that expensive if you scrounge junk yard parts.

If you HAVE TO keep the generator, it seems like it would be easy to make a bracket that works.

55 Tony
05-05-2019, 04:14 AM
I believe I still have just what you are looking for. If I find it I'll post a pic. Seems as if I saw them somewhere else and they weren't that scarce.

Tabasco
05-05-2019, 05:56 AM
If you are still running the original style front motor mounts there is a bracket to install a later model power steering pump to your engine.

There is a complete kit with this bracket.

Check with this guy. He is a trifive power steering expert... /authenticautomotive.net

scorpion1110
05-05-2019, 11:38 AM
I have a 283 in my 55 wagon. While it now has ramshorns which use an Alan Grove bracket mounting the alternator on the passenger side, when it had headers, I used the bracket Tabasco is recommending to handle the PS pump and used a standard bracket that mounts off the header flange with an arm coming off the water pump. I had some to make up some spacers for belt alignment but it was all pretty simple.

I would recommend that you check Alan Grove as well as Summit. CN is right though, switch the generator and use an alternator. (BTW thats twice in one week I have agreed with you CN, but I think with therapy I can deal with it ;)