PDA

View Full Version : roof damage

ssjr103
08-01-2019, 04:36 PM
55 2 door post tree fell on poor ole girl dented half the roof destroyed carport. looks like it pulled the rubber around the rear window about 3/4 inch into center of car. Question is how hard is this to fix or how expensive as its way above anything i can do. half roof is dented its creased but didnt break the glass sorry no pics still havent got it dug out of carport

Rick_L
08-01-2019, 04:47 PM
No way we can judge without photos. If it didn't break the glass that gives some hope that it could be repaired.

If all else failed, the top could be cut off at the pillars and a donor top welded on. Not really super difficult as far as the welding, but intensive on the measure twice cut once routine.

ssjr103
08-01-2019, 05:00 PM
i am sure that gets real expensive. body work is my weakness. will get pics in the next week once i get it dug out. thks

chevynut
08-01-2019, 08:05 PM
ANYTHING can be repaired with the right skills and tools. I would try metalworking it before I replaced it. You have nothing to lose.

The first step would be to rough out the damage with jacks or whatever is needed to get the metal back close to where it needs to be. After that, some bumping and maybe some hammer and dolly work and perhaps some shrinking would be required if the metal was stretched. It's hard to tell without seeing it but if the post and window openings are all good it shouldn't be that hard to fix. If it comes down to it, they do make reproduction roof skins.

Robert (MP&C) here is a metalworking genius and can probably give you a better assessment if you get pics.

scorpion1110
08-02-2019, 01:38 PM
ANYTHING can be repaired with the right skills and tools. I would try metalworking it before I replaced it. You have nothing to lose.

The first step would be to rough out the damage with jacks or whatever is needed to get the metal back close to where it needs to be. After that, some bumping and maybe some hammer and dolly work and perhaps some shrinking would be required if the metal was stretched. It's hard to tell without seeing it but if the post and window openings are all good it shouldn't be that hard to fix. If it comes down to it, they do make reproduction roof skins.

Robert (MP&C) here is a metalworking genius and can probably give you a better assessment if you get pics.

Studwelder. I use a magnaspot.

Spot welds copper nails to the sheet metal and then you pull with a slidehammer. Strip the metal. Weld the nails. Pull. Bump with hammer as needed. Just pulled dents on the wheelhouses of my wagon. Got them almost fully pulled, then hit with evercoat. Sand. Dolphin skim coat. Paint ready.

You would be surprised what you are capable of. Just because you havent done it yet doesnt mean you are not capable. Just means you dont have the experience.

I didnt and became pretty capable.

Scorp

MP&C
08-06-2019, 06:33 AM
Unlocking creases starts at the bottom of page 25. "The Key to Metal Bumping" is another good resource.

http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/metal-body-repair.pdf

What is your location? Could refer you to a local metalshaper to your location if you would prefer...

567chevys
08-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Hello Robert ,

Thanks for the information , this will help lots of people

Thanks Sid

Troy
08-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Yes thank you Robert, I have a small crease in my roof where my fat a$$ stood on the roof!!!:cry: